Poll: Your Weapon of Choice?

Shadow flame master

Jul 1, 2011
I prefer assault riffles because they feel the most well rounded for my use. Or I'll chose an LMG because of the large ammo capacity.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I will always seek to employ the most unorthodox weapon for the setting whenever possible.

If a game was set in feudal Japan I would want to use a shield and short sword.
In Medieval Europe I would want to employ a billhook or something designed to grapple.

I have a thing for flamethrowers or weapons with a very specific and deadly kill zone where the trick is to try and get into a situation to use it rather than being somewhat effective in every situation. I like employing weapons where I have a massive advantage over anyone else when in the environment the weapon is designed for.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Generally depends on the game and whether I'm doing single or multiplayer...but I generally favor pistols and melee. Since pistols are generally my workhorse weapon (plenty of ammo, fairly accurate, and quick to fire and reload), they're the ones I favor while pulling out the bigger guns for specialized tasks, or when I have too much ammo for them to justify not firing them.

And melee just because I live on the edge.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
Shotgun/Minigun in terms of efficiency and
Rocket Launcher for the big bloody explosions.

I love running through DOOM with the shotgun, blasting demon's faces apart. The rocket launcher is pretty good at that too but it's dangerous and gets me killed frequently so i hold a grudge against it.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Depends on the game really.

In Max Payne I go for handguns and shotguns, but mostly handguns. It just doesn't feel right for a noir-esque cop to use automatics to me.

In competitive FPSs I go for submachine guns and snipers.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
I've always preferred SMGs and LMGs.

Especially the shorter ranged ones that can do monstrous damage like the STA3 LMG in Killzone 3

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Depends on the game, but nothing feels as good as some pistols. If you're gonna kill someone at least have some class :)

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Distance, so snipers, then when they get close I use the strongest possible shotgun.

Never fails.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Forlong said:
I'm a sniper at heart. For this reason, I'm reluctant to play Team Fortress 2. I hear that Snipers make people want to rage-quit.
Snipers in TF2 are a strange beast, they can be incredibly effective as the only way to take down a dedicated and good heavy and medic combo (the heavy will spy-check like mad) in a reliable fashion. They can also play a great harassment role in particular points of particular maps. The problem is outside of those situations they tend to be very ineffective at furthering the team's objective and the moment you team has more than one you know you're going to be a man down in the places that matter the most.

There's actually nothing I like more than seeing an enemy team of snipers because you can just go spy and have a field day while the rest of your team caps points, pushes carts or captures intel fighting maybe 2-3 people with their 5-7.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I choose Twilight Sparkle. She is the best gun.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
Melee weapons if the ones in the game are stylish and appealing to me (that generally eliminates most blunt weapons). I also like a sleek pistol. These weapons generally work better in stealth games, I guess.

I also like rocket launchers (because explosions) and crossbows.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Definitely flamethrower when I can, otherwise shotgun, but partial to explosives, saw-throwing weapons and other novelties.

In fantasy games though, my first character is always melee. If the sword ain't bigger than you, how do you expect to defeat anything bigger than you? It's just common sense.

Dracthor

Jan 10, 2013
I like using my fists. Always feel badass when I take down deathclaws with hand to claw combat.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
First choice pistol. It's shit in so many games if so I move onto a Assault Rifle one shot mode.

Oct 2, 2012
I generally prefer accurate assault rifles in games. I like being the well-rounded character in games and an assault rifle is usually good for short (full auto) to long (single or burst fire) engagements and the usually average damage doesn't bother me since I'm all about headshots or full auto. Damn things are just too flexible for me not to like them.

Some exceptions are Halo (the assault rifle is ass and I prefer the Battle Rifle, DMR and shotgun), Half Life 2 (tiny ammo supply and unsatisfying impact, I prefer the SMG and pistol) and there is another game that I just can't remember right now.

The sniper is a close second in almost all games I play. There is just something so satisfying about taking down an enemy from halfway across the map with one head shot and nobody being any the wiser as to your location for a couple minutes.
Just *spot target. pull trigger. drop.*

Edit: There were two more games I forgot!
The first is Hitman (any of them will do). The gunplay is usually clunky (still fun for massacres :D) so I stick to my sexy, sexy Silverballers (pistols) and my fiberwire and a knife.

The other is Mass effect 3. I usually prefer the Paladin or Phalanx pistol, the Black Widow or Widow sniper or the Geth Plasma Shotgun. And when I do go with the assault rifle I usually pick the Revenant or Typhoon. They're considered assault rifles by the game but they're described as light and heavy machine guns respectively so I'm not sure if they count.

DragonV2.0

Feb 19, 2013
favorite weapon of all time? tie between the flak gun and Redeemer from the UT series, there arent many things that beat a fly by wire mini nuke