Poll: YuGiOh or Magic:The Gathering, which is better?

Dragonsoulq

Mar 3, 2010
OK I've played both games quite a bit and have drawn some conclusion

1)Yu-Gi-Oh! is far more expensive to build a competitive deck for, this is one point where Magic wins out totally, the most expensive card in standard has just gone and was ~$100 at peak, which compared to Yu-Gi-Oh! is normal (DAD?, Judgement Dragon)
2)Yu-Gi-Oh is swingier, you can create lethel damage from an empty board with ease and doen't have the summoning sickness rule to slow OTK's down
3)Yu-Gi-Oh rule mechanics are awful seriously they're a mess,look up missing the timing on yugioh wikia if you want to see the awfulness, magic on the other hand has nice clean rules boxes, with proper guidelines on how what is a cost and what is an effect(Also sadly lacking in yugioh).
4)Magic finds room for flavour text in a large amount of its cards, its a minor point but still.
5)Drafting- Magic is designed so that 90% of its cards are usable in some way for a format called limited(Take a number of boosters and make a deck) unlike Yu-Gi-Oh, which has so much chaff its unreal
6)Yu-Gi-Oh generally makes better crafted archtypes,based around cards with certain names(E.G. Elemental Hero -) It a cute way of doing things and lets you design unique playstyles for a deck(Although since its translated from Japanease things can be amusing E.g.There's a archtype called "Archfiend" and "Summoned skull" is one of them, because he's named as an "Archfiend" in Japanease, could you imagine trying to explain that to someone who didn't know that?
As for ease of Learning-Magic is slightly more difficult to get to grips with, but really if you can't understand it, I worry for you, but once you learn the basic rules, the cards explain themselves perfectly and you don't need rules knowledge to know how they interact nearly as much as in Yugioh
TL:DR/Magic is the superior game.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
arc1991 said:
pat34us said:
arc1991 said:
I prefer Yu-Gi-Oh, seen as though i know most of the rules and i have many of the cards i had as a kid, however the newest cards (5XD or something like that) i have no clue of, i'm kind of a retro Yu-Gi-Oh player, only using some of the new cards :p (except Syncro, fuck that shit!)

although i wouldn't mind getting into Magic, seems easy enough...

But i'll wait till i have a job first xD
Synchros are one of the best things that happened to Yugioh, you should definetly give it a try before committing to MTG.
The last series i watched (of the anime) was the Battle City Tournament (and the one after that with the 3 dragons) and that's where i learned the rules, and that's the way i remember playing as a kid, Same with my friends who i play with. I could learn the new rules, but it would be pointless as i would never have to use them.

Plus the whole concept just seems pointless, they could easily just be regular Fusion Monsters, they just seem unnecessary.
Adding a whole new way to play the game wasn't unnecessary. Seriously, the game is much more fast paced with their addition. And you don't have to use them. My Charmer deck can hold its own against a synchro based deck (mainly because I steal my opponent's monsters). Be creative!
Mergh! As i said, if i did it would pointless as non of my mates use them, or most of the new cards really, i don't mind the new Monsters, Magics or Traps and i am using them. I just don't see the point of learning how to use new cards when non of my friends use them or even want to use them.

If the point arises, i will, i have couple in my Unused card pile, but until then, no point.

AlohaJo

Nov 3, 2010
Magic is a slower-paced, tactical game that involves a lot of bluffing, hard decisions, and a fair amount of luck. It's kind of like the Cold War of TCGs.

Yu-Gi-Oh! is a faster-paced, easy to learn hard to master, all guns blazing smash fest, where your main goal is to kill your enemies quickly instead of building up your defences (although you could do that too if you want). It's more like a jungle battle with both sides using guerrilla tactics and booby-traps.

Personally I prefer a Yu-Gi-Oh! match over a Magic one. There's many ways to play, many tactics to use and abuse, and unlike Magic, if you do enter a tournament at some point, not everyone will be using the same-ish deck with the same main cards.

Also it's relatively cheaper to get in to Yu-Gi-Oh! than Magic.

Find some friends who play one or both, and ask them to teach you. Figure out which style you prefer. And if you can't decide, then look into the Pokemon TCG, it's kind of in the balance between the two. ^_^

Dragonsoulq

Mar 3, 2010
AlohaJo said:
It really isn't, if your talking tournament level decks Yu-Gi-Oh! is easily twice to three times the cost of a magic deck(Top tier)

For a casual competitive deck, you can make on up with commons and uncommons which(assuming you have a hobby store which was a magic playerbase) you can pick up for next to nothing.

Why: drafting, it means you can pick up cards in a way other than just cracking packs-and you get to play a game too!

And about the same-ish deck, that's a bit unfair, sure there has been one deck choking the format for a while, but it just got banhammered and now there is easily 6+ decks that have a good chance of succeeding at a tournament, I could make the same false claim about Yu-Gi-Oh -All the decks are the same because they all just try to summon as many syncros as they can and smash face, but that would be just as unfair to the tournament scene.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Magic by far. It's a way deeper game.

Lemme just give you an example:

1. Bloodthrone Vampire [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=205238]
2. Enduring Renewal [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=108842]
3. Ornithopter [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=206331]

Put these together and you get an infinite/infinite creature. There are so many clever combos like this in the game.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Yu-gi-oh was a good part of my childhood so it gets the nostalgia factor for me, but from what I've experienced ever since getting into college MTG is a bit more balanced and fair for newer players buying some starter decks and booster pack. I wasn't cleaning house or even getting a winning record but I felt like I had a chance in games most of the time.

Plus I love the little booster nights my local place does where you buy in for like 10$ and everyone passes around booster packs making an entirely new deck to play the tournament with.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
I love Yu-Gi-Oh!, but I don't really buy cards anymore, just trade with my brother. I have a Plant/Warrior deck right now (Black Rose Dragon FTW!). I've played since the game hit the U.S. and it's a simple game, but that's what I love about it. I've tried getting into Magic, but it's complicated and I don't have anyone else to play with. Maybe one of these days when I move to a place with a hobby shop or something.

Also, Yu-Gi-Oh! is ridiculously broken. I've never cared about playing competitively because I know I'll get horribly owned.

AlohaJo

Nov 3, 2010
Dragonsoulq said:
AlohaJo said:
It really isn't, if your talking tournament level decks Yu-Gi-Oh! is easily twice to three times the cost of a magic deck(Top tier)

For a casual competitive deck, you can make on up with commons and uncommons which(assuming you have a hobby store which was a magic playerbase) you can pick up for next to nothing.

Why: drafting, it means you can pick up cards in a way other than just cracking packs-and you get to play a game too!

And about the same-ish deck, that's a bit unfair, sure there has been one deck choking the format for a while, but it just got banhammered and now there is easily 6+ decks that have a good chance of succeeding at a tournament, I could make the same false claim about Yu-Gi-Oh -All the decks are the same because they all just try to summon as many syncros as they can and smash face, but that would be just as unfair to the tournament scene.
My best deck, which has won me 3 tournaments, cost me about $20-$25. And I got all the cards from boosters. And it doesn't even summon a Synchro monster (although I do have the option, I just don't need to ever).

In my experience, I've dropped more money on Magic than Yu-Gi-Oh!, and I definitely have more Yu-Gi-Oh! cards than Magic cards. But I don't like buying specific cards, I prefer attempting to pull them from boosters, I'm a bit crazy that way.

[atomi|c|adaver]

Oct 8, 2009
My friends play both Magic and YuGiOh!, as well as the original Pokémon TCG. I have played and watched good competitive play in all three, but I only own YuGiOh! decks from my residual childhood stockpile. (To clarify, I played Mgic and Pokémon with borrowed/community decks assembled by my friends.)

YuGiOh! and Magic I found to be the better of the three, and both have deep strategy and offer good play. I will admit, Magic is more popular and the strategy goes a bit deeper, but I myself have not bought any cards for any game in at least 5 years, due mainly to insufficient funds.

If I had to choose, go with Magic, but mind you, drafts can run you a LOT of money, (we have to pool money to buy drafts),and the learning curve is not as forgiving.

One last thing to add. Cards in Magic rotate out of use, and depending on the rules you use (or if you play competitively,) your deck will be 'illegal' within a few months, requiring the purchase and assembly of new decks.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
Hiname said:
Magic. If you ask me, no comparison.

In Yugioh, its Rare Cards = Powerfull = Win

While newer magic editions go the same way, older editions youc an pull combos with common cards that can easily tear your enemy a new one. Its much more tactical dept that Yugi can ever hope to pull.
I'm guessing you never played Yugioh?

XelaisPWN

Jun 8, 2009
Now, I've spent chunks of my life playing both before realizing I both sucked at them and didn't have the spare cash to constantly buy cards.

But I found MTG to be better, just because I kept getting whooped in YuGiOh by the people with crazy strong monsters with the fewest stars.

But the thing about magic is, unless you have a really balanced multicolor deck, you're going to find as much as 4/5 of the cards you get are going to be totally useless, because you've developed a strong 1 or 2 color deck. You might develop multiple decks, but in my experience I just traded all of my good non-blue/black cards. Also, all of your cards will become totally useless in tournament play every few years or so.

But that's my take. They're both great time/money sinks and both do a relatively good job of keeping luck, strategy, and "whoever has the best cards" all balanced.

Sep 7, 2011
I know this is a super insanely late response, but really? MTG has way more depth, a actually good story line, it's easier to get cards for, the game has better art, and in my opinion better rules, game play, format. I just wanted to give a simply response, I could go into depth, but I honestly don't need to explain why I think MTG is better to Yu-Gi-Oh fans, mostly since this is a biased topic. Yu Gi Oh fans will always think Yu-Gi-Oh is better, and MTG fans will always think MTG is better. Although this poll proves that there are more people on this website that think MTG is better, which is nice. This has just been my personal opinion and thoughts, and I hope they don't conflict with anyone, and I hope these statements don't make anyone angry.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
MTG I played it myself (it,s in bit of a slum now)
but it,s really fun to play I got into it pretty easy (I get the basics down in one practice match).

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
"Better for you"? (i.e. subjective opinion) or "better objectively"? (i.e. fact). And if the latter, what are the criteria?

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
I haven't played Yu-Gi-Oh in almost 10 years, but from what I remember, games were essentially decided based upon who had more money in their deck. Rares and Ultras were CLEARLY better across the board than commons, which simply isn't the case with Magic. Both are very expensive hobbies, no doubt, but Magic is both a deeper and more complex game and slightly cheaper to be competitive with. Yu-Gi-Oh was great fun, but unless things have changed drastically, it was a pretty simplistic game. Magic is complex almost to a fault these days.

Swimfan

Dec 17, 2011
I prefer Yu-Gi-Oh.
In my opinion the rules are more easily to understand on the surface but having a nice variety of depth beneath it. Although easy rules dunno qualify a trading card game to be called better but .. I don't know .. nah I guess I just prefer the magic-trap-card system ^^

Chaos Sorcerer for the winz!

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
I prefer YUGIOH. I can actually make a deck that isn't garbage, and since the "reprint era" started, most of the really hyper expensive cards are like $9 now.