Pop-A-Ganda

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Pop-A-Ganda

MovieBob takes on the propaganda claims concerning Act of Valor.

Read Full Article

fangedfuzzball

Nov 19, 2009
Bob,

I often find your reviews to be very useful not to mention entertaining. I found your "Act of Valor" review to be surprising and this article well articulates why. While I have not yet seen the film I will now because of your review. I, a former Marine, had written the film off as a propaganda piece that I wanted no part of. I have the deepest respect for the SEALs and military personnel in general, having been one and coming from a military family, however i am so tired of seeing the military and the people who serve being used a political cats paws, both in the prosecution of their duty and in their portrayals.

I am intrigued with your assertion that this is an apolitical film and I hope to agree with you once I see it, it would be a welcome change. Thank you for your breakdown in the video and the further explanation in this article. If it honors the inherent badassness of a group of some of the hardest warriors still worthy of the name in our age without pushing an agenda than I for one welcome it.

keep the interesting discussions coming, your critical eye is appreciated.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
so .... are people butthurt because its not a propaganda movie? o.o? ... funny, i was under the assumption that was a GOOD thing

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
I fully expect "Bronies: What Has Feminist Academia Done To Our Boys?" to be a Fox News headline/story within a year.
Why would you even say that. Fox might be listening right now, looking for new terrible ideas that sound faintly plausible! *puts on tinfoil hat*

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
I think I've already seen something about Fox news talking about the Bronies that way... or maybe it was a moment of precognition.

Wil213

A Hack
Apr 1, 2010
As a film student, Ive seen polical propaganda films and this really dosn't seem like one. [Yet to see it, don't think its out in the UK at all right now.] If you wasnt propagande flms, look at the stuff produced during WWII. [All countries did it so no claiming ya didn't]
This just seems like an action film with a stik of having the SEAL's as actors. [For the record; I think SEAL's are badasses and respect goes out to them with the rest of the armed forces too.] I would think the same if the Royal Marines or the SAS did the same for a UK action film.

StreetBushido

Nov 22, 2009
As always, Bob makes a lot of sense by just being reasonable and fairly level-headed. Additionally, as a european I can watch whatever happens in the US at a fairly safe distance, turning the US' political shenanigans into a bit of a curiosity show.

uneek

Sep 4, 2011
I think the message you can take from this situation is not caring what people say about you. Someone always has a complaint about something you said in any video. Me, I just accept the fact that you can't read my mind so you can't say things according to what I want to hear.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
Odd: I read the criticism of Bob's review of Act of Valor to be this: he didn't hold that movie up to the same standards as he does other movies, because of the potential blowback of saying something negative about America's military personnel.

I figured this was due to an audience (the audience being the world, when you're online) that cannot distinguish between criticism of a movie and criticism of military forces. Who wants to have to explain themselves a billion times when once should be enough? I wouldn't blame him for holding back.

But I do not wish to speak for Bob; he does fine on his own.

I still don't want to see it, because it's just too weird for me to have a movie with actual, active military people in a real world scenario. Just like the CoD games give me a great deal of pause-I've only played one-and WW2 (or any videogame based on an actual conflict) makes me uncomfortable.

I just don't have a taste for games where people were really killed. It feels dishonorable for some reason.

But that's just me! Everyone else should do as they feel best: See the movie, whatever.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Personally my problem wasn't that you contextualised your argument I just felt that lthr ratio of contextualisation to review was slightly skewed (I understand that this article wasn't aimed at me I was just offering a different reason for why someone might have been unhappy with your review. Though I could have just been impatient)

Penguinishka

Mar 19, 2009
I was disappointed with your Escape to the Movies today. Just not a movie I have any inkling to see. But THIS, I loooved this!
Thank you for putting into words how I feel about EVERYTHING in the USA being politicized. It's ridiculous and I really hope it's just because of this seemingly eternal and divisive election year.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Amen, Bob. While I disagree with a lot of your politics, this was a very smart and enlightening article. Really enjoyed it, thanks a lot.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I've become way too jaded with how everything is political these days. All it has done is boil things down to two simple concepts: democrats are pussies and republicans are insane. Obviously there are exceptions but it seems like they get dismissed and waved off by their own parties without a second thought.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
And then, with one little link, Bob ruined Adam Baldwin... forever.

Man, that was depressing. I'm gonna look for something that'll make me smile...

Ahhh... never fails.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Wow that article you linked to is a whole bunch of crazy. It's stupid but it's going to make it harder to enjoy Adam Baldwin in films knowing he thinks liking non-Americans is a dark and controversial message. I wish it was a spoof. Is it?

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
What? I can't use this to back my erroneous and antagonistic claims? How strange! I suppose next you'll be saying that rainbows don't mean anything! Or that political economic views don't appear to have any relation to legitimate macroeconomics!

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
castlewise said:
I fully expect "Bronies: What Has Feminist Academia Done To Our Boys?" to be a Fox News headline/story within a year.
Why would you even say that. Fox might be listening right now, looking for new terrible ideas that sound faintly plausible! *puts on tinfoil hat*
There was one anti-brony piece run by Fox news a while ago - they were just kind of generally making fun of bronies though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqEDIFfy4Yg