PopCap's Evony Spoof Ads for Plants vs. Zombies Keep Coming

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
As someone who browses from work, and is sick of having to play monitor-fu to not get asked some serious questions about how he uses his internet, I can safely say that these adds hold a special portion of my heart and my wallet.

YurdleTheTurtle

Mar 23, 2009
I'd laugh if PopCap was sued over this (unlikely, but anything is possible...).

I like spoofs in general, but this one is pretty clever and still stays within the spirit of Plants vs Zombies.

I have seen those Evony ads before and it just screams "desperate, shameful advertising".

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Strategia said:
That is so awesome. Those rule.

Keane Ng said:
On behalf of anyone who has ever had to literally use a hand to cover a part of their monitor to avoid seeing one of those ads or appearing like someone who would want to see one of those ads, I can say that we do appreciate them too.
Firefox, Adblock Plus.
I'm a user of ABP - but like any reasonable AdBlocker, I disable it on sites I enjoy and like to support, such as Escapist Magazine and Penny-Arcade. I believe Penny Arcade have hosted the Evony adverts, even if only briefly. I may be confusing them with another site, but I'm pretty sure they were on PA, and I know I sure as hell wanted to re-enable my ABP filter.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Strategia said:

Keane Ng said:
On behalf of anyone who has ever had to literally use a hand to cover a part of their monitor to avoid seeing one of those ads or appearing like someone who would want to see one of those ads, I can say that we do appreciate them too.
Firefox, Adblock Plus.
AdBlock Plus v1.1 is actually worse than v1.0.2...instead of blocking everything from the get-go, you have to add "filters." So I've seen those ads, if only briefly.

Damn, I hate my desktop... x_X

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
Heart of Darkness said:
AdBlock Plus v1.1 is actually worse than v1.0.2...instead of blocking everything from the get-go, you have to add "filters."
I prefer it that way actually, you can keep images you want but block the annoying ones. It's just a right-click on the image and select the level of blockiness (which is generally the strictest level with me).

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Strategia said:
Heart of Darkness said:
AdBlock Plus v1.1 is actually worse than v1.0.2...instead of blocking everything from the get-go, you have to add "filters."
I prefer it that way actually, you can keep images you want but block the annoying ones. It's just a right-click on the image and select the level of blockiness (which is generally the strictest level with me).
I find, though, that not everything can be blocked manually, at least on my computer. Even the "block" square won't pop up on everything.

BloodyOne

Mar 23, 2009
Three cheers for Popcap! For making these great parodies of our hated advertisements!
Keane Ng said:
Strategia said:

Keane Ng said:
Firefox, Adblock Plus.
You know, I would use Adblock, but then I just hate having giant blank boxes all over the place online, it just messes up how everything looks. As weird as it sounds, seeing ads is like a part of the entire visual identity of the web to me.
My visual identity of the web mainly consists of lines of text in articles that make my eyes go out of focus, and flash games with lots, and lots of explosions. Or flashing colors. Ooh...pretty...

Who says creativity is dead?
EDIT: You know, I just started thinking about it, but the words in the box for the Popcap version are actually level. You have got to love the logo placement on the Popcap ads...

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
To all those who say that casual gaming is the bane of the world, I point you to Popcap; the anti-ad Paladin!

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
BWAHAhA finally those stupid ads gets what's coming to them. I should buy the game to show my support!

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
See, the true tradgedy about Evony is that it's apparently a pretty good game, I just... Can't play it, because I don't want to support something with such bloody awful advertising.

Pop Cap have done well to slag off the adverts, though :D Maybe someone at Evony will see how popular taking the piss out of them is an rethink their whole ad campaign...

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
Glefistus said:
Strategia said:

Keane Ng said:
Firefox, Adblock Plus.
Not for those fucking flash ads. You have to disable Flash for the entire webpage : (
Flashblock ftw. ABP + Flashblock = no more ads, period.