Port Authority

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Halla Burrica said:
Eh, I'm not sure that it's neccesarily about some conspiracy from these companies to "keep those pesky pc gamers down", I think it's more about ineptitude or disinterest in porting games to the pc, instead of playing it safe and just sticking to consoles. I may not be any sort of expert when it comes to these sort of things, but even I understand that the pc market is a very different beast compared to the console market and that can be pretty intimidating for developers or publishers.
This too.

Also, considering most of these "shoddy ports" were developed for the consoles, its not like they're gimping them, they just aren't polishing up them for PC versions. There's something to be said for getting 100% out of a platform or not bothering, but then you'd get a whole second set of whinging over consoles getting games that PC's don't (The Dark Souls port comes to mind, where the fanbase sort of dragged them kicking and screaming into PC and were surprised it didn't go so well)

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
BigTuk said:
We are less likely to pay an over inflated price for a game and just patiently wait until it's marked down.
I'm just fine with buying games on release day and only spending $10-$20 total instead of waiting for a sale. I buy it, enjoy it for a couple months, then sell it. You can usually find a game for $10 off or credit on release day and easily sell it a couple months later for around $40. You can console game for cheaper than PC without fucking waiting.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Covarr said:
Everyone freaking out about the escape key in FFXIII... This port has some really serious problems, and the escape key thing is pretty minor next to the performance, resolution, and framerate issues.

This is how I see the esc-to-quit problem:

P.S. Thanks
The esc key tends to be used as a pause button, so I can see why It'd be a problem.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
BigTuk said:
Crappy PC ports you say.. well... what else can you expect. Devs and publishers hate PC gamers... we're more critical.
They hate us because we're pirates and hang around on internet forums ... on the other hand they love us because we don't resell our games.

The main problem is that console manufacturer guidelines have made them stupid and console income has made them lazy. Without strict guidelines about minimum feature support, basic UI guidelines and levels of bugs they are lost ... with the PC being seen as just free money after they already recouped cost a lot of them just are just blind to the money they lose by not preserving an image of delivering quality.

The equivalent to getting something basic like keyboard/mouse support wrong (ie. Dark Souls 2: the screw ups continue) generally doesn't happen on consoles because you just don't pass qualification ... being assholes about it on the internet is really the only tool we have to get them to wise up (but with Dark Souls the sheep just buy it too much for it to be very effective, so no doubt Dark Souls 3 will get the basics wrong again).

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Covarr said:
[/spoiler]

P.S. Thanks
Well, I've binded ESC to one of my buttons on my mouse to simply making sure getting to the menu (usually pausing) would be quicker. I don't normally miss press it but with an issue like that would stop me from buying/playing it.

While the issue may be minor, SE (SqaureSoft) does a very shitty job at understanding the fact the need of consistency and some basic logic. The FF8, in order to quit the game you needed to hold Ctrl+Q for approx. 1.5 seconds.

Its almost like they've never used a PC in their lifetime.

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
mad825 said:
The FF8, in order to quit the game you needed to hold Ctrl+Q for approx. 1.5 seconds.
Wait, what? WHAT?! Who on earth would think that's a good idea?!

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I think it was the original FF7 port that had no exit option at all aside from "press CTL-ALT-DEL and end the program". Good job I only had to do that rarely due to sinking stupid amount of hours at a time into that game... oh, to be young and have no responsibilities again...

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
BigTuk said:
Crappy PC ports you say.. well... what else can you expect. Devs and publishers hate PC gamers... we're more critical.

We are less likely to pay an over inflated price for a game and just patiently wait until it's marked down.
I'm part of the Console Gaming Proletariat, and I do that as a matter of principle.