Portal 2 ARG Unleashes Flood of Concept Art

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
I wonder if the giant chicken is Subject #042 [http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/theroguewolf/Portal_OtherClipboard.jpg]....
I should be mad at the ninja'ing, but it makes me insanely happy to see someone else knowing Subject 42 :D

SlugLady28

Feb 24, 2011
Wow.

It's things like this that really show just how much work Valve puts into their games. I mean, just the alternate box art alone is amazing! ^_^

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Marik Bentusi said:
I'm happy with the one they went with, I felt the others didn't quite reflect the game properly - I have yet to play the game of course, my info is based on trailers, teasers and the original Portal game.
Some of them, especially the retro-futuristic ones, would make nice collectors editions tho for those that already know about the Portal 'Verse and would just like a pretty cover.
I definitly understand that but at the same time, I don't think the final box art adequatly explain Portals either. Orange/P-Body is only shown jumping between Portals, we don't see her actually going though one. Atlus looks like he was photoshoped in hurridly at the last minute.

FYI this image...

[spoiler/][img/]http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/52/52891.jpg[/img][/spoiler]

...Would have been perfect. Minimal yet sumerized the main machanic with one image. Show a background that's the test chamber over grown with follage and you've got a part of the story down too. Boom, done.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
I wonder why Valve felt it necessary to even try and redesign Chell, she's still the same character, so I don't see why some concept arts even had her changing ethnicity... it's a bit... mind boggling.

(Watch as out of nowhere there's a "Create a Chell" mode in Portal 2)

WrcklessIntent

Apr 16, 2009
Wow some of these images are gorgeous. Although I'm mad on the inside now because i dislike the actual box art for portal 2 and now knowing that they had these options I'm even more disapointed. I personally love the ones with the portals in the eyes and the ones that are of chell drawn almost animeish.

tjdwo09

Mar 8, 2011
Am I the only one to notice the first concept art of Chell is actually Alison Stokke (or stokes I can't remember which one she was). You know, the incredibly hot pole vaulter?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
It looks like most if all not all the designers are big fans of apple products and the store

Oh well, if the "enemies" in Portal games were made by Apple, all you'd have to do is wait for them to overheat while GLaDOS denies there's a problem.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Gotta say I'm loving this; though I don't think most of the Chell concepts work too great. Whilst some of the box art would have been pretty terrible, some were goddamn awesome. Also; GIANT CHICKENS. O_O

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
The Random One said:

Coincidence? I THINK NOT.
Just when I thought I was alone... Hehehehehe!

OT:
Actually, I will buy Portal 2 with some of the Alternate Box arts than the cover with its Co-Op Bots right now..

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
The Random One said:

Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

I love the olde style covers btw.
Portal Effect 2? Use physics and humor to stop the Reapers!

I loved the covers with the eyes, reminded me of the covers of Only Revolutions... which I need to read...

Looking at all the covers and Aperture things has given me the craziest desire to continue reading House of Leaves, too. I don't know why D:

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Some of those android designs are very Ghost in the Shell-esque, I'm a massive fan of those sort of uncanny valley design principles. But obviously, when you're making a game where you have to gravitate towards your co-op protagonists, it helps that they aren't repulsive semi-human machines.

Personality spheres are much more... huggable.

King_Serpent said:
The giant chickens are obviously the main component in constructing portal guns. As we all learned from Bionic Commando a organic brain is the only way to get electronics to work. (Robots made the same way). So simple.
Apparently they put chickens through the portal test chambers before they used humans. Evidently, they all died.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Some sweet visual swag there. I like the cover image with the blue and yellow eyes. I hope they dig into these concepts for future re-releases of the game.
That chicken is amazing.

Zhukov said:
Y'know, some (Note: some, definitely not all) of those box art designs are way better then what they ending up going to with.

Also, I strongly approve of tank-top Chell.

Just saying.
I approve of your approval of the approving tank-top Chell.
GlaDOS disapproves, but she's biased against lifeforms who KICK HER ASS!
thenumberthirteen said:
HankMan said:
thenumberthirteen said:
This looks really neat. I actually got to play a couple of levels of Portal 2 the other day, and I'm super excited for the release.
O.O
HOW?
It involved an awful lot of rope and a chisel.

Actually there was a demo at Kapow Comic Con in London last weekend. It was only 2 levels, but I got to see a couple of the new features like the Arial Faith Plates. GladOs was still her usual snarky self.
Can...can I touch you?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Some of those android designs are very Ghost in the Shell-esque, I'm a massive fan of those sort of uncanny valley design principles. But obviously, when you're making a game where you have to gravitate towards your co-op protagonists, it helps that they aren't repulsive semi-human machines.

Personality spheres are much more... huggable.

King_Serpent said:
The giant chickens are obviously the main component in constructing portal guns. As we all learned from Bionic Commando a organic brain is the only way to get electronics to work. (Robots made the same way). So simple.
Apparently they put chickens through the portal test chambers before they used humans. Evidently, they all died.
Bet there were some sweet BBQ's on those nights. Just need some cornbread and corn on the cob.

Damn, I want to work at Aperture now.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
GamingAwesome1 said:
Some of that box art is waaay better than the actual design.

I'm fond of image 21 and image 1.

Anything that shows off the core gameplay mechanics in a very minimalist way. I've never liked the whole floating, slightly transparent head approach to box art, glad they didn't go that way.

Had to refresh the bloody captcha about six times before I got one that was legible.
I'm fond of 11 and 24 myself.

11: the Looming GlaDOS over Chell

or

24: The nice, clam and peaceful looking "skyline"(Really bad movie by the way.) just being a series of painted panels in the heart of a cold mechanical laboratory.