Portal 2 Delayed to 2011

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
Aw, man! WHAT THE HELL VALVE??
Frequen-Z said:
If the announcement is not Source 2 and not HL2:EP3 then I am not interested. For a company that takes so much pride in their community, they sure don't seem to be fucking listening to what they want.
My thoughts exactly, and what can they possibly have to show that is Portal-related and would make up for HL2:EP3, Source 2 and Portal 2? The only thing I can think of is free, functioning Portal Guns for all Steam users...

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
John Funk said:
Representatives from both companies acknowledged that public safety concerns factored into the decision. They went on to say that even though Portal 2 will arrive slightly later than planned, all life on earth won't instantaneously stop as every molecule in your body explodes at the speed of light, which is what would happen should a rip ever appear in the fabric of Valve Time.
Oh, well there you go. Valve releasing a highly anticipated title on time would destroy the space time continuum.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
There are so many different rumours going around that Valve keep supporting or debunking, which makes me suspicious. Personally, I think when Valve announced the big 'surprise' for E3 this year, they knew it would cause all this speculation, so they're deliberately releasing new statements and press releases at every turn just to stoke the rumour fires. Which is great for them when it comes to publicity. And non of it wil actually matter.

I'm still convinced that it's going to be Source 2.0 announced. It makes sense, since Valve have been debunking everything so far, and there's very little it could be to do with Portal now they've said Portal 2 is being pushed back, despite what they've said. They would hardly confirm Source 2.0, or indeed any other runour, if someone accidentally hits the right note, would they? So yeah, I'm more than a little suspicious here...

OANST

Aug 10, 2009
John Funk said:
Will Hideo Kojima's next game be a confusion, philosophical mess?!
You meant that to say "confusing", I think. Either that, or you meant it to read "Will Hideo Kojima's next game be a confusion, a philosophical mess?!" which is grammatically flawed but quite stylish.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
What a surprise. Left4Dead 2 was most certainly an anomaly... or maybe it was released faster because it straddles the line between an expansion pack and a full game.

This is just getting stupid.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Frequen-Z said:
If the announcement is not Source 2 and not HL2:EP3 then I am not interested. For a company that takes so much pride in their community, they sure don't seem to be fucking listening to what they want.
^ this

So they cancel the Portal 2 press event, and are having a different "surprise" event that is Portal related. So one must assume its some new content for the original Portal, which will likely be free. Can't help but be a bit disappointed if this is the case.

Kollega said:
What a surprise. Left4Dead 2 was most certainly an anomaly... or maybe it was released faster because it straddles the line between an expansion pack and a full game.
Where as this would be different than the HL episodes or any Valve sequel on the Source engine how?

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
They could have avoided this. Valve announce release dates far too readily! Other developers are careful to make sure their game is released when they say it will be.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
John Funk said:
My oh my, what is this? A Valve game has been delayed from its intended release? The sky must be blood-red, the seas must be boiling, for the apocalypse is surely upon us! What's next? Will Blizzard fail to lock down a release date for Diablo III? Will Nintendo announce a new title featuring Mario? Will Hideo Kojima's next game be a confusion, philosophical mess?! This is a strange and confusing new world we find ourselves in!
Hay, birds fly, fish swim, Hilary Clinton wants to be president again, and Valve games get delayed.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Nevermind Valve's own timeline, how many games meet their first-announced release date anyway?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Awww. Is a shame, but, at least we know its coming unlike Ep3.

Still lusting to play it though!

bismarck55

Mar 1, 2010
It's great when games are released in an episodic format. this ensures that content can be released frequently, at a fairly steady pace. Additionally, many resources such as character models, weather effects, etc. can be reused, contributing to cheaper, shorter development time. It really is a win-win situation for both publisher and consumer, as consumers are often eager to begin the next installment of one their favourite series. A perfect example of episodic gaming is the half-li... LOLWUT? oh shi-

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
John Funk said:
My oh my, what is this? A Valve game has been delayed from its intended release? The sky must be blood-red, the seas must be boiling, for the apocalypse is surely upon us! What's next? Will Blizzard fail to lock down a release date for Diablo III? Will Nintendo announce a new title featuring Mario? Will Hideo Kojima's next game be a confusing, philosophical mess?! This is a strange and bizarre new world we find ourselves in!
Ok that did tickle me, and also quite accurately portrayed how alot of us are undoubtedly feeling.

I do hope all these long production times are not the result of left for dead and team fortress updates, I'm bored of them and I can't take any more people complaining about episode 3.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
John Funk said:
[blockquote]VALVE ANNOUNCES MAKING GAMES IS HARD
"Also, the game will be even better," they added, missing an historic opportunity to create the first product delay press release to mention that a product is being delayed to make it worse.[/blockquote]
I'm still laughing at this. I hate the fans, but Valve are awesome.

Maybe they should do the press releases for companies that get their games out (kinda) on time? They'd be unstoppable!