Portal 2 Details Leaked

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Portal 2 Details Leaked

Scans of an upcoming Game Informer feature on Portal 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E3C8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278968960&sr=1-1] have made their way onto the internet for all to see.

We already know some details [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98902-UPDATED-Portal-2-To-Feature-Co-op-Play-Possible-ARG-Hints] about Portal 2, like the co-op mode will be separate from the single-player game, and that GLaDOS will make a return, but concrete gameplay details were thin on the ground. But thanks to posters on the forums of Australian gaming website PALGN, we have a plethora of scans [http://palgn.com.au/viewtopic.php?p=698170]from an upcoming Game Informer feature about the game, giving us an insight into what we can expect.

The single player mode of Portal 2 takes place hundreds of years after the first, and it would appear that Aperture Science never came back to reclaim the facility, as it appears overgrown and almost jungle-esque. The personality cores that came online at the end of the first game have had plenty of time to set up their own little domains, allowing there to be a stronger narrative in the game without having to add in more human characters.

On the co-op front, you and a friend will be able to play as one of two robots, one made out of a turret, and one made out of a personality core, both equipped with a portal gun, and able to travel through each others' portals. Console versions will have a split screen mode, and PC versions will have picture-in-picture to allow for easy communication.

In both modes, physics will play a bigger part, and Valve has added more puzzle elements, like lasers and reflective cubes, as well as paint-like substances that cause some physical reaction, like an orange paint that will propel players upwards, allowing for a greater depth to the puzzles.

Probably most importantly, Portal 2 will be a full length game, rather than another two hour jaunt. According to Valve the first game was a 'test bed' and it was amazed that it became so popular. Portal 2 will have the same writers as the first game, and from the snippets of dialogue I've read - which I don't want to spoil for you - I don't think we have much to worry about.

Source: via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/07/portal-2-gi-feature-gets-scanned-is-internetalised-looks-awesome/]

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Them internet rules coming into play in 5...4...3...2.....

Anyways, after recently finishing Portal (finally), I've got to say too long, and it'll overstay its welcome. Even with GLaDOS bots.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
I think that this could be a triumph....

Anyway, hundreds of years after? Then what happened to Chelle (or however you spell it)?

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
We're robots?!
From that scan, it looks like, somehow, you still play as Chell? Despite hundreds of years passing?

Chell = Gordon Freewoman.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
snuffler said:
JRCB said:

Anyway, hundreds of years after? Then what happened to Chelle (or however you spell it)?
G-Man
G-Man is to Valve what the Force is to Star Wars. The answer to everything.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I'm really excited for this. I was a little surprised by it being set hundreds of years in the future though; this'll place us WAY after Gordon.

I'm hoping to see where/when the first game was set in the HL universe.

JEBWrench said:
snuffler said:
JRCB said:

G-Man
G-Man is to Valve what the Force is to Star Wars. The answer to everything.
Hardly, considering no one knows who/what he is, what he wants/needs, who he 'works' for, etc. etc.

Byers

Nov 21, 2008
Portal was popular because it was something new and innovative, and because it was short and sweet. Having a 15+ hour sequel with the exact same type of gameplay is gonna murder my will to live.

C'mon, more new original licences instead please.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I thought I wouldn't like new details, I'm not sure about multiplayer so far, but it should be good.
Looking forward to it now, interested in why it's so far ahead on the timeline than the first.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Byers said:
Portal was popular because it was something new and innovative, and because it was short and sweet. Having a 15+ hour sequel with the exact same type of gameplay is gonna murder my will to live.

C'mon, more new original licences instead please.
Well, the other part was that Old Man Murray is one funny, funny man.
If they can make the humor work well enough for that long, it may work.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
How exactly is that co-op thing supposed to work? Are we required to hook uo with some stranger from the internet, or even worse, to invite a friend over?

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
I'm not going to lie, this sounds fucking epic as all hell.

I mean, getting to play as a robot from the facility? With another? The same writers? Longer game? More physics and puzzles? GLaDOS returning?

This is too good to be true.

The Warden

Oct 6, 2009
So wait, what about Chell getting dragged off?
What happened to that?
I dunno, maybe they're trying to keep it fresh here and set it hundreds of years away so it's not questioned why Chell isn't there, and we'll learn more about Chell in HL2:Episode 3, whenever it comes out (Episode 3 looks like it's heading down the Duke Nukem Forever Path though.)

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
JRCB said:

Well, the end of Portal strongly implied that she was out of the facility, but kind of dead.

EDIT: But didn't GLADOS say that she had Chells brain scanned and permanently backed up in case something terrible happened to her?

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Probably most importantly, Portal 2 will be a full length game, rather than another two hour jaunt.
That is what worries me. What exactly is a "full length game"? Is it like MW2 where the campaign is 4-5 hours, or like HL2 and BioShock where it is ~15+?

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
For the love of GLaDOS, please do not turn this into an action game. Portal is a puzzle game. Please leave it a puzzle game...

Crap, you're going to turn it into an action game aren't you?

... damnit.