Portal 2: Obvious game of the year?

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
It was good but personally I don't think it can beat Skyrim. I was skeptical at first but Skyrim but after seeing footage and hearing about I decided to try it and buy it.
I now love it.
Portal 2 was good, with a good story and some well designed puzzles but Skyrim has a massive world and it is absolutely beautiful.
Skyrim would be my vote for GOTY.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Just because you love it OP doesnt mean everyone else does, personally Portal 2 just seemed like a quick blip too me.
Skyrim on the other hand has consumed my life since its release, and yes I do realise that isnt a guaranteed GOTY.

enriquetnt

Mar 20, 2010
ipickedsquirtle said:
I've played Skyrim, and Uncharted, but neither of them had the impact on me that Portal 2 did. Im not biased either, I'm a huge Elder Scrolls fan, and played Drake's Fortune and all. For some reason I just can't see it NOT winning.
Strictly my Opinion:

Sorry but i played Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Skyrim, Portal 2, AND Skyward Sword, and in my book Skyward Sword takes it all the way, no glitches, no technical issues, amazing beyond belief motion control gameplay (seriusly is THAT good) long and beautifull, as hard or easy as you yourself want it to be, and a ton of FUN all the way trough (since this is a videogame FUN is the most important factor), is pure unadulterated gaming bliss, ill give SKYRIM second place on account of the afforementioned glitches and a lot of booooring sections that felt more like a chore than a game (thats an issue whit all elder scrolls games) Portal was also extremely good but it could get frustating on some sections and it lost that "spark" the first one had (especcially if you dont cheat whit FAQs or guides) and Dark Souls is waaaaay to hard for its own good (i dont shy away from a challenge but this is nasty) Uncharted 3 was a also a lot of fun and the graphics where jawdropping but aside from that is the same stuff from 1 and 2 and its getting repetitive.

also played Gears of War 3, Battlefield 3, and Modern Warfare 3, more of the same, more of the same, more of the same, Arkham City: not as good as Asylum, Assassins Creed Revelations: more of the same.

Especial note for DEUS EX, amazing game, its just that i dont really like cyberpunk or scyfy games as much as in like fantasy games, im a forest and dungeon kind of guy, but im pretty sure this games is better than Skyrim overall.

all of them are GREAT awesome AAA titles but Zelda has them beat. (severe nostalgia factor noted and accounted for, ive been playing zelda since the first one on the NES so that may affect my judgement)

Daffy F

Apr 17, 2009
ImmortalDrifter said:
It's at number 5 for me. It was good, but way too short to justify it coming alone.
Pretty much what he said. Portal 2 was a fine game, but I did wonder why I spent £30 on it when the fun lasted for probably about 10 hours, then when I had finished single player and co-op, it had no replay value whatsoever.
I guess what I'm saying it I think Portal 1 was better. Cheaper too.

feebstalicious93

Aug 16, 2009
my game of the year is uncharted 3. everything naughty dog has made is wonderful, they always make great games.

The_Tron

Jun 8, 2010
Metalhandkerchief said:
MercurySteam said:
Metalhandkerchief said:
Ipickedsquirtle: Obvious troll of the year?

I think yes.

MercurySteam said:
I fail to see how a single game can overshadow every other game released this year considering how many great titles hit the market this year.
Um, 2011 was a shit year? In a year where a game like Batman: Arkham City is considered one of the highlights...? There really wasn't anything interesting at all this year except a few, and none of them except Skyrim were stellar.
You're joking right? 2011 has to be one of the best years to be a gamer since the 360 and then PS3 came out. Dead Space 2, BulletStorm, Dragon Age 2, Portal 2, Deus Ex: HR, Gears of War 3, Battlefield 3 and Saints Row the Third were all great games in my eyes. On top of that you still have Skyrim, Uncharted 3 and Dark Souls which I haven't really played but I sure know how popular they have been. Batman Arkam City was good but I don't think it was one of the best games that came out this year.

So.... what? Were you asleep the entire year?
No... But you obviously are easy to please:

Dead Space 2 = forgettable, in my eyes just dreadful rehash of crap we've seen before
BulletStorm = WHAT? This is a bad game, by definition
Dragon Age 2 = You really must be joking.
Portal 2 = Fun and interesting, but too short to even qualify for any accolade.
Deus Ex: HR = It was decent. But it was hardly as good as the hype and/or metacritic score (the score DE:HR got was a good reflection on what a bad year it was before it came out)
Gears of War 3 = Crap
Battlefield 3 = Decent game, that's all
Saints Row the Third = Oh please, not even super fanboy Yahtzee saw any redeeming qualities in this piece of clutter
Uncharted 3 = PS3 exclusives don't count really, besides it was "meh" with too many contrived twists and overall bad writing
Dark Souls = Niche game, not really exciting to anyone but a few

That leaves Skyrim as the one and only truly unforgettable game from all year.
While I agree with your breakdown of most of those games (the ones I've played anyway) there's a few statements I need clearing up. "Bad game By definition" I honestly never played it but heard some above average reviews that made many good points so I just wanna hear your side of the story. Deus Ex:HR, most regard it as an amazing game.... except for the boss fights, but does that bring it to mediocre status? Saints Row the third while I found it very fun would be difficult to nominate for game of the year, simply because it's so much like #2 with even my favorite mini game taken out(come on those sewage avenger levels were hilarious) but all things aside it's not a bad game by any means and the addition of multiplayer can be really fun. Thus comes to the statements I really don't agree with. "PS3 exclusives don't really count" Now really, why would you say that, does that mean exclusives in general shouldn't count or is this just fanboy garbage. It really needs to be cleared up. If you'd recall Demon souls won GOTY not too long ago and it was a ps3 exclusive and not to mention Dark souls sequel and many reviewers state it's the successor in many ways so in other words it deserves a nominee.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
MercurySteam said:
Blindrooster said:
I think portal 2 won your game of the year.
OT: I'm getting tired of this 'obvious GotY" crap. People quickly forget how much they liked other games they played this year when games like Skyrim comes along. Granted, Portal 2 was a great game, though I fail to see how a single game can overshadow every other game released this year considering how many great titles hit the market this year.
This. This year there is NO "obvious" GOTY.

Arkham City, Uncharted 3, Portal 2, Skyrim, LA Noire, Skyward Sword, BF3, MW3, Gears of War 3, Deus Ex, Dark Souls, and probably more I can't think of atm. These are all bad ass games that came out this year and could have each had a valid shot. Unfortunately, there can only be one winner. With this many good titles being released in a year, it is going to be highly based on personal preference or the voting system. Is GOTY something determined by the masses or a panel of judges of some kind?

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Zhukov said:
These GOTY threads are a bit silly.

"I think Game X was the best"
"Fuck you fanboy, I think Game Y was best."
"I thought Game Z was best until I took an arrow in the knee... hurr hurr."
"Opinions, lol."
"Well, my opinion is objectively correct
." (See previous post.)
"This thread is silly and I'm a sarcastic and painfully self-aware prick who isn't as funny as he thinks he is."

Seriously, can't we all just give it a rest? Especially since we all know in our heart of hearts that Duke Nukem Forever was the true game of the year.
Ok, you win the thread. Hands down.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Metalhandkerchief said:
Ipickedsquirtle: Obvious troll of the year?

I think yes.

MercurySteam said:
I fail to see how a single game can overshadow every other game released this year considering how many great titles hit the market this year.
Um, 2011 was a shit year? In a year where a game like Batman: Arkham City is considered one of the highlights...? There really wasn't anything interesting at all this year except a few, and none of them except Skyrim were stellar.
Welcome to Subjectivity 101: the first rule is just because you thought it was a shit year does not make that actual reality. Plenty of people thought this was a godly year for games, other people thought it was so-so, some people thought it was shit. Clearly you have a right to your opinion but I think that the general consensus is that it was a pretty good year for games. It's all a matter of opinion.

OP: Personally, game of the year for me was The Witcher 2. For some reason I'm a gaming masochist at times, I'll get a really hard game with some complexity to it that will constantly kick my ass. I take that as a personal challenge and as a result I end up massively satisfied when I finish it. That was my feeling with The Witcher 2, like I had climbed an RPG Mountain Everest.

xXDeMoNiCXx

Mar 10, 2010
Battlefield 3 was my GOTY. Why? I enjoyed it more than any other game (though Assassins Creed Revelations comes in a VERY close second.) That's all that matters to me.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
Portal 2 < Skyrim

I dont think the FPS genre has anything to contend. I was looking forward to BF3 but then saw it was BFBC2 the way it shouldve been. COD* should never ever be a contender until they completly redo it instead of recycle the engine and allot of the textures.

Skyrim is good but it is far less of what oblivion had, less spells, less enchantments, less unique gear, less environmental changes. Hell its a dumbed down version with better graphics(still dated) less choices and the main questlines were all weak! NPC dont even try to get you to like them much less side with them. case in point if that kid asks me to play tag 1 more time i am cutting his head off! likeable? no Skyrims NPC get annoying.

Portal 2 has graphics that are up to date so it looks better than the original. and worked the storyline from the first game to the second seamlesly. added more options and increased the environments. plus the puzzles were a whole new ball of wax compared. NPC in Portal 2 are all likeable and if not likeable atleast more than just plain annoying. wait yes the floaty ball head dude was annoying, glad he is in space with the other one.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Still haven't played Skyward Sword, so I'll need to do that before I can pass the verdict on my final #1.

Seriously out of the games I enjoyed the most it'd probably have to be either Dark Souls or Skyrim.

Portal 2 is in a totally different category, I can't even attempt to compare which is better between the three because they are nothing alike.

I loved how Dark Souls assumed I had half a brain, I liked how once I started to get into it and got used to the flow of how enemies attacked and how my character moved I was able to begin slaughtering things that earlier would 1-hit me. I liked how the boss battles would take varying levels of preparation, and the only truly tough ones were those that weren't even main-bosses, but just extremely powerful enemies you could run into on your way and you could run past if they were too strong for you at the current time (Because fuck the Taurus demon, that big ugly bastard kept me from progressing for a few hours until I'd grinded enough to be able to take a hit or two).

Skyrim I simply enjoy for exactly what it was meant to be. I can mostly do whatever I want, walk around aimlessly and just kill shit. All the fun of that game is the ability to kill shit and gain new powers and weapons to kill shit more effectively.

Portal 2 was funny, amusing, thoughtful, etc. It truly felt like the ending to a story.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
I see Skyrim, Battlefield3, and Mortal Kombat all being better than portal.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
The subjectivity of the matter ruins any kind of "obviousness" in GoTY.

For some people Imagine Babies 2011 might be game of the year. For others, it might be Kane and Lynch 1. And that didn't even come out this year. That's how silly it all is.

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
Portal 2 is easily the best eight hour long over-focus tested tutorial I've played this year. Hands down.
Skyrim, however, is the best game I've played this year. By far.

Portal 2 was nowhere near as good as the original, and traded good puzzles for a story, ultimately resulting in a game you can play once. It was too simple, and didn't do enough to warrant the price tag. It's expertly crafted by masters of their craft, no one can argue witht that. Ultimately though, as a puzzler it's really kind of boring.

Dark Souls and Deus Ex: Human Revolution were both vastly superior to Portal 2, and they're really the only games to give Skyrim an honest run for it's money this year.
Dark Souls was amazingly good, but Blighttown basically prevents it from taking the crown because fuck Blighttown. Deus Ex: Human Revolution was also incredibly good, until you replay the game and realise how little things actually change even for drastically different choices.

Skyrim is what it is: a solid open world RPG set within one of the best crafted open worlds of all time, marred by bugs that will be ironed out one way or the other.
Skyrim takes it.

Sep 14, 2009
s69-5 said:
gmaverick019 said:
there are tons of games i would say that are better overall games than portal 2..

skyrim/deus ex:HR/witcher 2/bastion/BF3/SR3/minecraft/batman AA/terraria/dungeon defenders/uncharted 3/gears of war 3

and these ones i liked both other people didn't AS much on average: dragon age 2/dead island/fable 3

and these are just ones off of the top of my head, let alone what actually came across all systems
If you haven't already, give Dark Souls a go. It's my GOTY atm. I did go with a mostly pure melee with a large sword (but not too large as to make my swings very slow) and light armor - made the game challenging as I am a Demon's Souls vet (platinum).

I will play Skyrim after Xmas, so there always a chance of it being dethroned.
ah i always seem to forget dark souls, i do want to get it, if i have some extra Christmas cash, that will be the game i will get.

is dark souls multiplayer the same as it was in demon souls? or is there some kind of co op mode that works better? (my friend was always interested in it, so i might get him to buy it too if we can do better playthroughs together.)

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Kevin Delgado said:
Here's my two cents: Portal 2 is a fantastic game. There is no way anyone could deny that; was it a sequel to be made? No. Was it a sequel that was done right? Absolutely! The game proved that you can take a simple story of a silent prisoner trying to escape from the clutches of a mad robot and expand on it as far as you could go and still have an excellent story.

As for it being GOTY material, it definitely has a shot. However, I feel that Skyrim is going to get the upper hand mainly due to the replay ability the game has. By that, I mean the endless amount of side quests one partakes in without ever touching the main quest. Portal 2 has the DLC expansion, Time Trials and the Co-Op modes but other than that, it's not a game I can pop into my Xbox every day and find new things to do. If it wins, then great but if not, then it's understandable. Although Skyrim's many bugs could possibly hold it back from GOTY wins.
This is basically how I feel about Portal 2. I may occasionally pick it up to relive some of my favorite moments (mostly Wheatly and Cave Johnson stuff) but beyond that, it doesn't have too much replay value. The inherent awesome freedom and craziness of the Portal Gun is regrettably partially wasted on such a linear game. Not that linearity is a bad thing, it's just those were clashing elements. Makes me wish I could find a good portal gun mod for Gmod...