Portal 2 Toolset Allows Users to Become Crueler Than GLaDOS

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,499
0
0
Portal 2 Toolset Allows Users to Become Crueler Than GLaDOS



Build a set of devious test chambers and then kill your test subjects in a fire with Valve's official Portal 2 level design toolset.

Valve was pretty good at coming up with a large variety of test chambers to befuddle the minds of Portal 2 [http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O6E3C8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305081868&sr=8-2] players everywhere, but I know at least one of you thought you could do better. Now's the time to put your money where your mouth is, as Valve has released a set of design tools so that fans can make their own Portal 2 content.

The Portal 2 "Authoring Tools" are currently in beta, so they may not be perfect quite yet. Anyone that owns the PC version of the game can check the "Tools" section in Steam to get started.

The Authoring Tools are apparently "versions" of those that Valve used to create Portal 2. For now, they allow users to build single-player maps, co-op maps, new character skins, and 3D models. Users can also create sound effects and music.

The tools include sample maps and instances to help guide budding creators along their path toward dosing their friends with neurotoxin. I'm about to get started on my Super Mario Bros. [http://www.amazon.com/New-Super-Mario-Bros-Wii-Nintendo/dp/B002BRZ9G0/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1305082166&sr=1-1]-themed set of Portal 2 levels right now. If anybody steals my idea, I swear...

For more information, visit the Portal 2 blog post here [http://www.thinkwithportals.com/blog.php?id=5443&p=1].

Permalink
 

internetzealot1

New member
Aug 11, 2009
1,693
0
0
I've asked before and I'll ask again: Does Valve still plan to allow console gamers to play the maps made on the PC version?
 

Da_Schwartz

New member
Jul 15, 2008
1,849
0
0
Very VERY cool. Unfortunatley i don't have that kind of free time. I imagine building a test chamber could get a bit....involved.
 

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,499
0
0
internetzealot1 said:
I've asked before and I'll ask again: Does Valve still plan to allow console gamers to play the maps made on the PC version?
That's not up to Valve. It's unlikely that Sony or Microsoft would allow non-developer endorsed mod maps on their consoles. Too much possibility for exploit. So it's highly doubtful.
 

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
19,316
0
0
internetzealot1 said:
I've asked before and I'll ask again: Does Valve still plan to allow console gamers to play the maps made on the PC version?
Yes.

At least, on PS3. Xbox will get batches of the better levels every now and then, probably for pay (growl).

At Xzi: At least do a Google search before speculating.
 

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,499
0
0
lacktheknack said:
internetzealot1 said:
I've asked before and I'll ask again: Does Valve still plan to allow console gamers to play the maps made on the PC version?
Yes.
I stand corrected. I guess now that the the PS3 has been jailbroken, they're not as wary about customized software. One step closer to bridging the divide between consoles and PCs. Now only if console hardware didn't blow...
 

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
2,016
0
0
nukethetuna said:
Ah, the Blizzard method of letting fans add longevity/fix perceived issues with your game.
I'm fairly sure mods and user made levels are a hallmark of 'being on the PC' rather than 'made by Blizzard' or a cheap way to fix issues and add longevity. But that is an amazingly cynical way to look at something that's been happening since games first came out on personal computers, so nicely done.
 

bombadilillo

New member
Jan 25, 2011
738
0
0
nukethetuna said:
Ah, the Blizzard method of letting fans add longevity/fix perceived issues with your game.
You make it sound like a bad thing! How is this not awesome. Everyone benefits from a strong modding community. And forgive me but yeah Valve copied someone else by releasing mod tools...yeah valve never supported modders...wtf?


Edit, aww you beat me.
 

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
2,016
0
0
Irridium said:
Psycho Cat Industries said:
Someone will bake cake.
An entire map made of cake.

Mark my words, it will be made. And it'll probably suck...
Usermade maps probably will suck for most people because they'll be based around perfectly angled flings and landing on 3 pixel wide platforms and stuff like that. *has experience of portal fanmaps before* I'm sure lots of people are looking for a technical rather than cerebral challenge like that though, so it's fair enough really.
 

Hypertion

New member
May 10, 2011
137
0
0
The biggest thing Halo did right was their Level Editor in Reach. If portal can pull this off we may be looking at another Little Big Planet game in terms of User Content.

Mind you all i dont have a PS3 and havent played Little Big Planet... and dont intend to... Well Little Big Planet anyways...

Anyways the Halo: Reach style editor if managed to be ported to, Portal 2, would be impressive. We have people who create statues of things in reach.

Only it might acually be fun. The biggest downfall in the Editor in Reach is the fact that you will likley never get to put your effort to use... since there is no matchmaking for custom maps... with portal the endless stream of user content could keep it alive much better due to it, Thanks to the simple fact that a puzzle once solved is pointless to repeat limited content is the ultamite downfall. Usercontent fixes this quite easly.
 

nukethetuna

New member
Nov 8, 2010
542
0
0
bombadilillo said:
nukethetuna said:
Ah, the Blizzard method of letting fans add longevity/fix perceived issues with your game.
You make it sound like a bad thing! How is this not awesome. Everyone benefits from a strong modding community. And forgive me but yeah Valve copied someone else by releasing mod tools...yeah valve never supported modders...wtf?
Definitely not a bad thing, I've always thought Blizzard had the right idea by doing this. We wouldn't have DotA (and tons of other games) without it, and WoW's default UI doesn't even do the job anymore.

Serenegoose said:
I'm fairly sure mods and user made levels are a hallmark of 'being on the PC' rather than 'made by Blizzard' or a cheap way to fix issues and add longevity. But that is an amazingly cynical way to look at something that's been happening since games first came out on personal computers, so nicely done.
Blizzard's just the first company who's games I played did this, or at least gave players a well developed method for players to construct their own maps and mods, so I call it the Blizzard method! Wasn't trying to be cynical, sir/mam!

Yeesh, people get so offended!
 

bombadilillo

New member
Jan 25, 2011
738
0
0
Serenegoose said:
Irridium said:
Psycho Cat Industries said:
Someone will bake cake.
An entire map made of cake.

Mark my words, it will be made. And it'll probably suck...
Usermade maps probably will suck for most people because they'll be based around perfectly angled flings and landing on 3 pixel wide platforms and stuff like that. *has experience of portal fanmaps before* I'm sure lots of people are looking for a technical rather than cerebral challenge like that though, so it's fair enough really.
I noticed that portal 2 had a lot more forgiving portal placement, based on the square panels for instance the portal appeared in the middle. But yeah get read for a lot of mid air twitch portaling. Its like little big planet for anyone who played that. You usually know in the first jump that its a insane level and not a puzzle.

I am looking forward to see how high you can bounce on some blue goo...
 

Johnnyallstar

New member
Feb 22, 2009
2,928
0
0
I *LOVE* it whenever companies put out toolkits. I don't care if it's the biggest game of all time or a little crappy game. I just love the fact that they're okay with the idea of "you think you can do something better? Okay, show us. Have fun."
 

bombadilillo

New member
Jan 25, 2011
738
0
0
nukethetuna said:
bombadilillo said:
nukethetuna said:
Ah, the Blizzard method of letting fans add longevity/fix perceived issues with your game.
You make it sound like a bad thing! How is this not awesome. Everyone benefits from a strong modding community. And forgive me but yeah Valve copied someone else by releasing mod tools...yeah valve never supported modders...wtf?
Definitely not a bad thing, I've always thought Blizzard had the right idea by doing this. We wouldn't have DotA (and tons of other games) without it, and WoW's default UI doesn't even do the job anymore.

Serenegoose said:
I'm fairly sure mods and user made levels are a hallmark of 'being on the PC' rather than 'made by Blizzard' or a cheap way to fix issues and add longevity. But that is an amazingly cynical way to look at something that's been happening since games first came out on personal computers, so nicely done.
Blizzard's just the first company who's games I played did this, or at least gave players a well developed method for players to construct their own maps and mods, so I call it the Blizzard method! Wasn't trying to be cynical, sir/mam!

Yeesh, people get so offended!
Its all good, its just a weird thing to say since Valve has been modder friendly since half life and the company is almost synonymous with this...so its weird to here it referenced in terms of another company.
 

Reaper195

New member
Jul 5, 2009
2,055
0
0
Da_Schwartz said:
Very VERY cool. Unfortunatley i don't have that kind of free time. I imagine building a test chamber could get a bit....involved.
Seconded. I've got a fair few ideas for some awesome chambers, but don't have the time or effort or patience to actually crate them.
 

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
3,847
0
0
Hmm... I wonder if people will accept a bunch of crappy levels I make if I say that they're test chambers made by you-know-who.
 

Duskflamer

New member
Nov 8, 2009
355
0
0
mjc0961 said:
Hmm... I wonder if people will accept a bunch of crappy levels I make if I say that they're test chambers made by you-know-who.
As long as you put the word "TEST" On every wall :p
 

Dooly95

New member
Jun 13, 2009
355
0
0
I'm going to see this going "Boom" then fizzling away like a firecracker.

A defective one at that.

Because I didn't buy Portal 2 for the puzzles. All that was done in Portal 1. There wasn't a lot more different you could have done and it really wasn't all that different. The goop just really added a horizontal portal boost and a trampoline. (well... )

But I know that I won't be jumping up and down for the next Mario World 1-1 Portal 2 style.
 

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
3,847
0
0
Duskflamer said:
mjc0961 said:
Hmm... I wonder if people will accept a bunch of crappy levels I make if I say that they're test chambers made by you-know-who.
As long as you put the word "TEST" On every wall :p
That was the first thing I jotted down in my list of things to put in my level. ;)
 

Duskflamer

New member
Nov 8, 2009
355
0
0
mjc0961 said:
Duskflamer said:
mjc0961 said:
Hmm... I wonder if people will accept a bunch of crappy levels I make if I say that they're test chambers made by you-know-who.
As long as you put the word "TEST" On every wall :p
That was the first thing I jotted down in my list of things to put in my level. ;)
ooh~ and use those turret/cube hybrids if they're available, include those two things in stupidly simple puzzles and I at least would have no problem blaming them on our favorite spherical pal.
 

Android2137

New member
Feb 2, 2010
813
0
0
mjc0961 said:
Hmm... I wonder if people will accept a bunch of crappy levels I make if I say that they're test chambers made by you-know-who.
...Voldemort? *brick'd*

OT: Sounds fun, but I've seen flash games with level editors before and I could never come up with good puzzles for them. Though if anyone does make some good ones, think Valve would hire them?
 

Zenode

New member
Jan 21, 2009
1,103
0
0
I can't way for some of the maps which are gonna need millisecond precision, its kinda what I craved from Portal 2.

 

teknoarcanist

New member
Jun 9, 2008
916
0
0
Here's what you can expect from user-created maps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKU28WErq2U

Hell, that probably deserves it's own abstract.
 

shiaramoon

LRR Stalkin'
Feb 1, 2011
110
0
0
nukethetuna said:
Ah, the Blizzard method of letting fans add longevity/fix perceived issues with your game.
Brilliant, couldn't have said it better myself. Afterall, what are addons for? rofl

OT: I do hope they have some kind of rating system in that will help to separate the wheat from the chaff. I hate having to sort through for the good ones...
 

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
11,523
959
118
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Gender
✅
Looking forward to this! I'm wondering if it'll be possible to get Left 4 Dead 2's weather effects into Portal 2 maps... imagine running through a dilapidated, shadowy testing course partially exposed to a thunderstorm.

Zenode said:
I laughed.
 

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,499
0
0
internetzealot1 said:
I've asked before and I'll ask again: Does Valve still plan to allow console gamers to play the maps made on the PC version?
Ps3 gamers, yes.
 

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
15,489
0
0
Hellooooooo, replay value! Jack is ready to receive this form of awesomeness!

Now, someone show me how to get it.
 

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
12,093
0
0
VondeVon said:
D'Oh! Downloaded but won't run.
I have the same problem. Downloaded the Authoring Tools, and Source SDK for good measure, punched up the Tools... nothing. It just fizzled out and set my Steam status back to Online.
 

Rabid Toilet

New member
Mar 23, 2008
613
0
0
Just a notice, the toolset apparently doesn't work on XP. They said they'll be looking into it tomorrow morning.
 

Sabinfrost

New member
Mar 2, 2011
174
0
0
Very cool indeed.

I laughed when I read the title and then saw "family-puzzle" as a tag.
 

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
1,186
0
0
Why does it say "Not available"? In fact, ALL tools say that. Could it be because I'm using a Mac OS? (Damn Mac's lack of uses compared to Windows.)
 

Jaime_Wolf

New member
Jul 17, 2009
1,194
0
0
360s will almost assuredly not be able to get custom levels for free. I'd be surprised if they get them at all.

My understanding is that XBL has a policy of rejecting free DLC of any kind. This is apparently why the 360 Orange Box TF2 never gets updated.
 

samsonguy920

New member
Mar 24, 2009
2,921
0
0
nukethetuna said:
bombadilillo said:
nukethetuna said:
Ah, the Blizzard method of letting fans add longevity/fix perceived issues with your game.
You make it sound like a bad thing! How is this not awesome. Everyone benefits from a strong modding community. And forgive me but yeah Valve copied someone else by releasing mod tools...yeah valve never supported modders...wtf?
Definitely not a bad thing, I've always thought Blizzard had the right idea by doing this. We wouldn't have DotA (and tons of other games) without it, and WoW's default UI doesn't even do the job anymore.

Serenegoose said:
I'm fairly sure mods and user made levels are a hallmark of 'being on the PC' rather than 'made by Blizzard' or a cheap way to fix issues and add longevity. But that is an amazingly cynical way to look at something that's been happening since games first came out on personal computers, so nicely done.
Blizzard's just the first company who's games I played did this, or at least gave players a well developed method for players to construct their own maps and mods, so I call it the Blizzard method! Wasn't trying to be cynical, sir/mam!

Yeesh, people get so offended!
Truth be told it's been done long before anything Blizzard did that got recognized for it. It wasn't until Warcraft II that editor tools became popularized as part of the package. Epic, Apogee, 3D Realms, and Id all carry that flag of encouraging custom content. Your statement might not have been meant as cynical, but was a bit short-minded. Please be cautious with what you say and how you say it.
lacktheknack said:
internetzealot1 said:
I've asked before and I'll ask again: Does Valve still plan to allow console gamers to play the maps made on the PC version?
Yes.

At least, on PS3. Xbox will get batches of the better levels every now and then, probably for pay (growl).

At Xzi: At least do a Google search before speculating.
Of course that will require PSN to be available. This coming out as it is, even in Beta, is one more slap to the face of Playstationers. I await the pitchforks and torches to be coming out, screaming for the hackers to be lynched or burned at the stake.
Seriously, Portal 2 is the first real bridge between console and PC and this shit has to happen now. And you bet your booty that if Microsoft does allow custom content to be ported via LIVE, there will be a price tag attached. Crooked, yes, but it will also be legal as the custom content will still fall under the license agreement. Somebody has to pay M$'s bills for Skype.
 

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,499
0
0
Am I the only one who's tired of all the Valve and Portal 2 news?

There exist other games you know.
 

Bloodysoldier

New member
Jun 9, 2009
82
0
0
Xzi said:
lacktheknack said:
internetzealot1 said:
I've asked before and I'll ask again: Does Valve still plan to allow console gamers to play the maps made on the PC version?
Yes.
I stand corrected. I guess now that the the PS3 has been jailbroken, they're not as wary about customized software. One step closer to bridging the divide between consoles and PCs. Now only if console hardware didn't blow...
You have not played little big planet have you?
 

Owlslayer

New member
Nov 26, 2009
1,954
0
0
I'm sure there will be maps so difficult that only an insane person with no life at all would be able to complete them... and he will complete them and upload videos on YouTube.
Looking forward to some sick maps.
 

Dense_Electric

New member
Jul 29, 2009
615
0
0
Hypertion said:
Anyways the Halo: Reach style editor if managed to be ported to, Portal 2, would be impressive. We have people who create statues of things in reach.
Haha, nooooo. This isn't Forge mode we're talking about here, this is Hammer. It's the exact same tool the developers used to create the maps for the actual game, far more capable than in-game editors like Forge or FarCry's editor. Ever wonder how people build custom maps for Half-Life 2 or Team Fortress 2? Same tool.
 

Knife-28

New member
Oct 10, 2009
5,293
0
0
Activating Pony themed level in 3, 2, 1...

I mean, I just finish reading this Portal/FIM crossover fan-fic (It's a very good Fan-fic, I recomend you cheak it out), thinking that it would be cool if someone made it in the actual game, what do I find when I hop back over to The Esapist, boom Valve's released the Poratl 2 tool set.....It's just a shame I don't have Portal 2 >.>
 

Hypertion

New member
May 10, 2011
137
0
0
Ahh but those editors cant run on the Xbox or PS3. If expanded to the Consoles you would have much more user content. Developer tools also are beyond the more common player simply due to PC limitations. Not everyone can shellout several thousand for a true Gamer PC.

Forge modes limitations are mostly that you cant alter the base terrain without flatout making your own. Puting something in that allows you to acually go beyond placing floating Blocks and manages to acually create rooms etc like a true editor is typically not easy with controller controls alone.

Finally the problems that lie in Beta style Development tools make public use simply not feasable for many people.

The reason i pointed out Forge is that it did manage to give Console players an effective level editor that was relativly problem free. Hammer is PC exclusive, which really doenst impress me as a result, considering the Mod comminunity that exists. An Amusing fact is that there often are level editors released for PC games by Mod comminunitys long before anything offical. Forge However was something that came with the game and worked on the Consoles and was also relativly easy to use, and ease of use means more user content.

The biggest problem would be making a way to get custom content downloadable to the Console players.

there is one thing that could make a truly sucessful editor. allow a low spec PC version to use the editor using min graphics but allow that edited level to be ported to Consoles. If a Console gamer is given the same ability as the limited PC gamers, then you have tapped into what otherwise would be a APX 66% loss in terms of the existing player base. Btw that number is extremely Generious and figures the high end gaming as between PC/XBOX/PS3 equally, which it really isnt more often than not.
 

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
2,594
0
0
internetzealot1 said:
I've asked before and I'll ask again: Does Valve still plan to allow console gamers to play the maps made on the PC version?
If you mean "you can download the maps from portalmaps.net (or wherever), copy them to your 360 or PS3 and have them run", then no. If, on the other hand, you mean "Valve including community maps in their forthcoming DLCs of Portal 2", then the correct answer is "highly likely".

@Hypertion: The reason why Valve didn't make a level editor for consoles is because, quite frankly, it would suck. Portal is not the sort of game where you can just use fistfuls of prefabricated items to make levels.
 

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
3,126
0
0
AAAANNNDDDD....


Installed. Let's see what kind of fun I can force with this one.
 

Outright Villainy

New member
Jan 19, 2010
4,334
0
0
Man, during the summer I'm totally trying this. It looks like they're trying to improve the UI from the regular SDK, which is good news to me! Gonna have to get a portal map notebook now, I've always wanted to try it.

Also, Valve selected community map packs, a la TF2, is gonna be sweeeeeeeet.
 

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,499
0
0
"The mod tools have to stay on the PC side just because there?s a bunch of dependencies that require the Windows platform," Faliszek told NowGamer. "But the content that comes out is agnostic, and so we will be seeing that on all the platforms. Depending on the platform you?re on I should say, will depend on how we?re delivering it."

Faliszek

When this happens, I'll be happy.
 

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
514
0
0
Sgt. Sykes said:
Am I the only one who's tired of all the Valve and Portal 2 news?

There exist other games you know.
Then... don't read them? There exist other news stories, you know. Portal 2 has JUST been released and has a heck of a lot of fans who want news like this.

I'm thrilled, personally. I've been looking forwards to trying custom maps and maybe even trying to build my own.
 

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
3,716
0
0
a last, this craving i have for more challenging puzzles can be sated when the pro map makers start churning out some gems!

Will keep eyes on them forums!
 

PhiMed

New member
Nov 26, 2008
1,483
0
0
Delusibeta said:
internetzealot1 said:
I've asked before and I'll ask again: Does Valve still plan to allow console gamers to play the maps made on the PC version?
If you mean "you can download the maps from portalmaps.net (or wherever), copy them to your 360 or PS3 and have them run", then no. If, on the other hand, you mean "Valve including community maps in their forthcoming DLCs of Portal 2", then the correct answer is "highly likely".

@Hypertion: The reason why Valve didn't make a level editor for consoles is because, quite frankly, it would suck. Portal is not the sort of game where you can just use fistfuls of prefabricated items to make levels.
Or not
 

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
2,672
0
0
Zenode said:
Yeah, that happened to me several times as well, but not too much. Like about 4 or 5 times. Still a fun & great puzzle game, though!
 

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,499
0
0
nukethetuna said:
bombadilillo said:
nukethetuna said:
Ah, the Blizzard method of letting fans add longevity/fix perceived issues with your game.
You make it sound like a bad thing! How is this not awesome. Everyone benefits from a strong modding community. And forgive me but yeah Valve copied someone else by releasing mod tools...yeah valve never supported modders...wtf?
Definitely not a bad thing, I've always thought Blizzard had the right idea by doing this. We wouldn't have DotA (and tons of other games) without it, and WoW's default UI doesn't even do the job anymore.

Serenegoose said:
I'm fairly sure mods and user made levels are a hallmark of 'being on the PC' rather than 'made by Blizzard' or a cheap way to fix issues and add longevity. But that is an amazingly cynical way to look at something that's been happening since games first came out on personal computers, so nicely done.
Blizzard's just the first company who's games I played did this, or at least gave players a well developed method for players to construct their own maps and mods, so I call it the Blizzard method! Wasn't trying to be cynical, sir/mam!

Yeesh, people get so offended!
yeah, no blizzard wasn't
 

Utrechet

New member
Oct 14, 2010
100
0
0
Nobody will "take" your idea, as you are just "taking" theirs. Super Mario bros. maps are all to common amongst build-your-own themes. It's not that they are thiefs, it's just you're unoriginal.
 

Beryl77

New member
Mar 26, 2010
1,599
0
0
Finally, I've been waiting for this since I've played through Portal 2. I'm looking forward to see, what the community is capable of creating with the new puzzle elements in Portal 2.
 

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
2,307
0
0
teknoarcanist said:
Here's what you can expect from user-created maps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKU28WErq2U

Hell, that probably deserves it's own abstract.
that burnt my retinas out with its awesome. im typing this by sound...
 

kayisking

New member
Sep 14, 2010
676
0
0
Xzi said:
internetzealot1 said:
I've asked before and I'll ask again: Does Valve still plan to allow console gamers to play the maps made on the PC version?
That's not up to Valve. It's unlikely that Sony or Microsoft would allow non-developer endorsed mod maps on their consoles. Too much possibility for exploit. So it's highly doubtful.
Yes, microsoft actually forbids free content on their platform. That is why they could not update TF2.

Ps.Please excuse my poor English, I am not a native speaker.
 

Webb Myers

New member
May 17, 2010
76
0
0
Forget the level editor. What kind of server tools are they going to allow for these "test chambers". If I'm building a test chamber, at minimum, I want to know how many people (unique and total) play it, how many complete it (in what time & how many portals), and the time/portal count of the quitters too. Ideally I'd like the location of drops, location of deaths, and location/sequence of all portals while we're asking for the moon.

There are tons of games that let you design a level, but very few that make it easy to test other than by watching your friends or reading comments of people who download it.

Why would users consent to send this data? Leaderboards.
 

Negotiator

New member
Mar 17, 2011
31
0
0
This is great news. Now Sony just has to get PSN back online as soon as possible so I can link my PSN and Steam accounts. I want to become a cruel tester. :p
 

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
4,806
0
0
Finally, I remember them promising this waaay back. But unfortunately the only platform that the level creator will ever be usable on is PC, and I can't get my PC version until that damn PSN is back up!!
 

Captain-Giggles

New member
May 21, 2008
203
0
0
While I was looking forward to this, I forgot it would be the HAMMER program to do it, and that thing scares me.
 

GonzoGamer

New member
Apr 9, 2008
7,063
0
0
Xzi said:
internetzealot1 said:
I've asked before and I'll ask again: Does Valve still plan to allow console gamers to play the maps made on the PC version?
That's not up to Valve. It's unlikely that Sony or Microsoft would allow non-developer endorsed mod maps on their consoles. Too much possibility for exploit. So it's highly doubtful.
The PS3 did it with UT3 I think.
Or they can have a LBP type update.

I hope the tool isn't so complicated that I can't put a chamber together in an afternoon. I always wanted to torture my fellow gamers.
One problem, you know there are going to be a hell of a lot of "grief" chambers with no solution made to induce rage-quitting.
 

kebab4you

New member
Jan 3, 2010
1,451
0
0
If you ever make any hard co-op map, mail me. Was disappointed with the difficult in the official co-op.
 

Savber

New member
Feb 17, 2011
262
0
0
Now where are the stupid dumbbutts that were bitching that Valves sold out? -_-
 

Steve the Pocket

New member
Mar 30, 2009
1,649
0
0
So, how long do you think before someone combines some of the features from Portal 2 and Left 4 Dead and makes the "Fighting an army of mantis men" into a real mod?

(I don't know what all you'd have to do to make that work, or if it's even possible. Ever since they dropped the universal SDK in 2008, there hasn't been any way that I know of to make real mods out of games. Just custom levels for the existing games.)
 

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
5,265
0
0
You can add your own music?

Hell if i had this for PC i would definitely have the Pokemon battle music in mine xD

I do hope a dampened down version comes to consoles though =\
 

SFR

New member
Mar 26, 2009
322
0
0
Ghengis John said:
It looks just like Worldcraft. After all this time.
I assume you mean World of Warcraft. If you're referring to the graphical quality, that's because it's an in hammer screen. This means that it isn't compiled, meaning no real time or pre rendered lighting, shaders, and plenty of other effects aren't drawn. I hope to god you're just a troll, though, as saying Portal 2 looks like World of Warcraft is obviously not true.

arc1991 said:
You can add your own music?

Hell if i had this for PC i would definitely have the Pokemon battle music in mine xD

I do hope a dampened down version comes to consoles though =\
It won't. Not because I'm trying to sound like an asshole, but because the consoles aren't capable of it. Compiling can be a *****.
 

Dense_Electric

New member
Jul 29, 2009
615
0
0
plexxiss said:
Any chance of seeing the tools on a console?
Not Hammer. Besides the fact it has all sorts of specialized programs associated with it that are required to compile the maps (vrad, vvis, bsp, etc.), the interface is designed for a mouse and keyboard. I can't imagine trying to fiddle with a brush entity's properties with a joystick, everything would take ten times longer.

This article really did a piss-poor job of explaining what exactly Valve released. The way it's worded it makes it sound like it's some sort of in-game map editor, when in reality it's the complete set of development tools used by the guys at Valve to make actual game maps.
 

restoshammyman

New member
Jan 5, 2009
261
0
0
one question. if there is an option to also make co op maps (and im not sure that there is)
how will you test them?
you cant just have a friend log in every time you make a map
 

subject_87

New member
Jul 2, 2010
1,426
0
0
Steve the Pocket said:
So, how long do you think before someone combines some of the features from Portal 2 and Left 4 Dead and makes the "Fighting an army of mantis men" into a real mod?
I DEMAND THAT SOMEONE MAKE THAT RIGHT THE HELL NOW.

Anyway, this is pretty sweet; perhaps my friend and I will try to make some tests...
 

Ghengis John

New member
Dec 16, 2007
2,209
0
0
SFR said:
Ghengis John said:
It looks just like Worldcraft. After all this time.
I assume you mean World of Warcraft. If you're referring to the graphical quality, that's because it's an in hammer screen. This means that it isn't compiled, meaning no real time or pre rendered lighting, shaders, and plenty of other effects aren't drawn. I hope to god you're just a troll, though, as saying Portal 2 looks like World of Warcraft is obviously not true.
Uh, no. I am neither a troll nor am I referring to "World of Warcraft." You know what happens when you make assumptions right? And you've made a real leap here. Just plugging "Worldcraft" into the search engine of your choice would have settled the matter without a tirade. But no, you'd rather rail against someone based on nothing but your own ignorance. How typical. I can understand the propensity to assume everyone you meet on the internet is an idiot but what colossal level of Bozo would I have to be to not understand that's a shot from an editor in a story about the editor AND screw up the name of "Warcraft" that badly? Next time before you judge somebody take the time to consider that you, yourself, might be wrong. If more people did that the world would be a better place. There's no reason not to give somebody the benefit of the doubt long enough to check google. Whatever.

So what was Worldcraft? It was a quake engine level editor from the year 1999-2001 or so. I used to make maps for quake 2 and half-life on it as a hobby. I know all about map compilation and what an editor looks like. After a few years worldcraft became "Hammer". I didn't like "hammer" as much because of it's half-life centric focus, it's revised hud and controls didn't appeal to me as much and you had to relearn some of the entity tags, but I kept right on happily using it until the first version of Steam came out and somehow broke my map editor in the middle of a project. Subsequent versions of steam did nothing to fix the map editor and even when I switched computers the map editor would still crash the minute steam would start up, even when I got new versions of the editor. It was a hobby I didn't want to give up, I tried for months to get that editor working again but gave up. I was forced out of it. So anyhow, the shot made me a little nostalgic. While I don't really want to edit for portal I do realize that by now "steam" is no longer synonymous with "sucks" and this editor would probably work without a hitch.
 

Danceofmasks

New member
Jul 16, 2010
1,512
0
0
Ima gonna make revenge of the cubes.

Where the player presses a button, only to be squashed by 100 falling weighted storage cubes.
 

Retardinator

New member
Nov 2, 2009
582
0
0
Soviet Heavy said:
nukethetuna said:
Ah, the Blizzard method of letting fans add longevity/fix perceived issues with your game.
I thought that was Obsidian's model....
It's the PC GAMER MODEL!
On a more serious note, I'd like to see console games to have this sort of functionality. It would kind of bring the communities a bit closer. Still wouldn't end the goddamn platform wars...
 

Retardinator

New member
Nov 2, 2009
582
0
0
GonzoGamer said:
I hope the tool isn't so complicated that I can't put a chamber together in an afternoon. I always wanted to torture my fellow gamers.
One problem, you know there are going to be a hell of a lot of "grief" chambers with no solution made to induce rage-quitting.
Source's map editor is actually the simplest 3D map editor I've ever come across. (Barring Warcraft III's WorldEdit, of course) I love working in it, since the levels are easy to build, physics objects are easy to set up and triggers are pretty straightforward. It also has some of the most comprehensive documentation I've seen.

The tutorial vids to get you started on the editing are here [http://www.youtube.com/user/3kliksphilip?feature=chclk#play/uploads], and any questions you might have can be answered here [http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SDK_Docs]. Just put Portal 2 in the search and you can find all the features that are specific to the game itself.

(The tutorial videos are done for Counter-Strike: Source, but the editor is pretty much the same in all Valve games)
 

Ed.

New member
Jan 14, 2010
138
0
0
Hypertion said:
Ahh but those editors cant run on the Xbox or PS3. If expanded to the Consoles you would have much more user content. Developer tools also are beyond the more common player simply due to PC limitations. Not everyone can shellout several thousand for a true Gamer PC.

Forge modes limitations are mostly that you cant alter the base terrain without flatout making your own. Puting something in that allows you to acually go beyond placing floating Blocks and manages to acually create rooms etc like a true editor is typically not easy with controller controls alone.

Finally the problems that lie in Beta style Development tools make public use simply not feasable for many people.

The reason i pointed out Forge is that it did manage to give Console players an effective level editor that was relativly problem free. Hammer is PC exclusive, which really doenst impress me as a result, considering the Mod comminunity that exists. An Amusing fact is that there often are level editors released for PC games by Mod comminunitys long before anything offical. Forge However was something that came with the game and worked on the Consoles and was also relativly easy to use, and ease of use means more user content.

The biggest problem would be making a way to get custom content downloadable to the Console players.

there is one thing that could make a truly sucessful editor. allow a low spec PC version to use the editor using min graphics but allow that edited level to be ported to Consoles. If a Console gamer is given the same ability as the limited PC gamers, then you have tapped into what otherwise would be a APX 66% loss in terms of the existing player base. Btw that number is extremely Generious and figures the high end gaming as between PC/XBOX/PS3 equally, which it really isnt more often than not.
Hammer is already like that it can have its graphics turned down to simple polygons the only downside is compiling takes longer but even with a feeble PC you could just let it run overnight.

And hammer makes forge look like child's play it really does.
 

Hypertion

New member
May 10, 2011
137
0
0
Still would like to see something like this ported to the Consoles. At least Bungie TRYED with forge. Little Big Planet did something too and basically relys on it.

It just seems to be that if Valve managed to Do something to allow Consoles to edit their own levels too they could triple sales of the game.

As it is, it has no replay value. This is a core problem with ALL puzzle games. Unless your Short/Long term memory is really bad in which case you probably wouldnt understand anything im saying anyways for long.

Even if the PC made edited levels can be downloaded on the Consoles the fact will remain only the PC users will be able to make them.

So here is my final idea. DLC Editor system for Portal 2. At least give us people who prefer the Console systems a choice and you will see proferr i mean more fun.... ok im just saying profit since its at least a good arguement for the sale of anything.

Add a DLC Editor/Downloader and make its ability cross platform between PC/XBOX/PS3 and you will see a massive spike in the purchase of Portal and a quite impressive spike in its use.

Portal could be MUCH GREATER than LBP. hell i could see players creating their own mechanics and completly reinventing Portal using just the PC editor.

Im hoping to see some really impressive Rube Goldberg Machines. Come on you lifeless youtube video obsessed Portal 2 users. LETS SEE THEM!
 

GonzoGamer

New member
Apr 9, 2008
7,063
0
0
Retardinator said:
GonzoGamer said:
I hope the tool isn't so complicated that I can't put a chamber together in an afternoon. I always wanted to torture my fellow gamers.
One problem, you know there are going to be a hell of a lot of "grief" chambers with no solution made to induce rage-quitting.
Source's map editor is actually the simplest 3D map editor I've ever come across. (Barring Warcraft III's WorldEdit, of course) I love working in it, since the levels are easy to build, physics objects are easy to set up and triggers are pretty straightforward. It also has some of the most comprehensive documentation I've seen.

The tutorial vids to get you started on the editing are here [http://www.youtube.com/user/3kliksphilip?feature=chclk#play/uploads], and any questions you might have can be answered here [http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SDK_Docs]. Just put Portal 2 in the search and you can find all the features that are specific to the game itself.

(The tutorial videos are done for Counter-Strike: Source, but the editor is pretty much the same in all Valve games)
It does seem very simple but I?ve never used it: I love playing with mods but I never make them myself.
So do you think it?s something that they might start taking to the consoles now?
 

Retardinator

New member
Nov 2, 2009
582
0
0
GonzoGamer said:
It does seem very simple but I?ve never used it: I love playing with mods but I never make them myself.
So do you think it?s something that they might start taking to the consoles now?
If you mean the content, they really should. With the same engine as on the PC AND Steamworks in place it would be a missed opportunity if they didn't.

If you're talking about the SDK, though, I doubt it. It's been mentioned several times that the compiler uses a variety of different tools for different parts of putting a map together, the interface isn't really console friendly and there's also much more than just the map editor in the SDK. All of those other components rely on specific, PC-made content.

Maybe if they did a simplified, more console-friendly editor that's integrated into the game, but that seems to be out of the question for now, at least to me.
 

GonzoGamer

New member
Apr 9, 2008
7,063
0
0
Retardinator said:
GonzoGamer said:
It does seem very simple but I?ve never used it: I love playing with mods but I never make them myself.
So do you think it?s something that they might start taking to the consoles now?
If you mean the content, they really should. With the same engine as on the PC AND Steamworks in place it would be a missed opportunity if they didn't.

If you're talking about the SDK, though, I doubt it. It's been mentioned several times that the compiler uses a variety of different tools for different parts of putting a map together, the interface isn't really console friendly and there's also much more than just the map editor in the SDK. All of those other components rely on specific, PC-made content.

Maybe if they did a simplified, more console-friendly editor that's integrated into the game, but that seems to be out of the question for now, at least to me.
Too bad, this is the kind of game that needs it. Just to keep things interesting.
It would be one way to get more replay out of the game without inflicting amnesia on myself.
 

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,499
0
0
Neat.

I look forward to playing the dozen or so good maps that will be created by the handful few who don't make maps that look like they were made in 10 min.

User created content is awesome, its just that most of it is bad.