Portal is Free

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Portal is Free

For a limited time, Portal is free on Steam.

Let's face it, you've almost certainly played Portal by now. It's been out for four years, after all, and it's responsible for creating at least two of the most popular memes on the net. But if you've been living under a rock or just really haven't been paying attention, then the news I bring is good: Portal is now free.

Believe it or not, Valve says it's giving the game away in order to help spread the word about its educational potential. "It's eye-opening to see how videogames can be used in amazing and unexpected ways to help educate our next generation," the company said in a statement. "Using interactive tools like the Portal series to draw them in makes physics, maths, logic, spatial reasoning, probability, and problem-solving interesting, cool and fun, which gets us one step closer to our goal-engaged, thoughtful kids."

"Today, innovative educators are finding ways to incorporate Portal and Portal 2 into their classrooms-helping teach physics and critical-thinking skills," it continued. "One of the biggest challenges in teaching science, technology, engineering, and maths is capturing the students' imaginations long enough for them to see all of the possibilities that lie ahead."

Which is a lovely sentiment, kids, learning, shining hope for the future, blah blah and all that, but the important thing is that Portal is free! Until September 20, that is, so if you haven't yet sampled the delights of Aperture Science, GlaDOS and sweet, sweet cake, you might want to get on it. Snag it for either the PC or Mac at Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/400/].

Source: Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/38654/Portal-goes-free-in-Valve-education-push]

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Again?!

Oh boy! My third copy! :D

But seriously, what with this educational thing are they trying to really sell?
Learning or Portal 2?

Dec 14, 2009
I have one friend who has yet to play Portal.

Everyone else in our group has played it except him, so he's completely in the dark when it comes to the inside jokes.

We keep trying to get him to play it, this should do nicely.

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
As much as I'd love to let my students play Portal in class, I'm not even going to TRY to convince the administration where I work that it's educationally valid. Sorry, Valve, points for effort but you're missing the mark a bit here.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Samwise137 said:
As much as I'd love to let my students play Portal in class, I'm not even going to TRY to convince the administration where I work that it's educationally valid. Sorry, Valve, points for effort but you're missing the mark a bit here.
Is it Valve missing the mark, or is it your administration?

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Chrono212 said:
Learning or Portal 2?
I actually wrote a college paper last year about the personal and societal benefits of video games, and I cited an example of Portal being used in a college classroom. Valve isn't just blowing smoke here.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I got Portal last time it was free, I'll recommend this though to my friend who hasn't got it yet and missed the last free time, I was planned on phoning him tonight anyway.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Chrono212 said:
Again?!

Learning or Portal 2?
Doesn't it really matter? Even if it is a blatant attempt to boost Portal 2 sales. Least your getting a free game out of it. Wish more would use that as a way to advertise their games.

Chrono212

May 19, 2009
Sovvolf said:
Chrono212 said:
Again?!

Learning or Portal 2?
Doesn't it really matter? Even if it is a blatant attempt to boost Portal 2 sales. Least your getting a free game out of it. Wish more would use that as a way to advertise their games.
I want demos.
I want to see if my PC can run, say, Deus Ex: HR but there's no demo of it.
I don't pirate because that hurts games and the like so I'll just end up using my Xbox which causes family friction.
It would be a much better way to get people interested, especially if it's a clever demo like...something that did a clever demo!

Oddly enough I got Portal 2 for PC. :p

Chrono212

May 19, 2009
JUMBO PALACE said:
Chrono212 said:
Learning or Portal 2?
I actually wrote a college paper last year about the personal and societal benefits of video games, and I cited an example of Portal being used in a college classroom. Valve isn't just blowing smoke here.
I can haz see college paper? :3
Also, what degree were/are you studying for?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
awesome, I still have a friend or two who haven't played it because they're habitually broke.

also inb4 "where's half-life episode 3?"

megajon

Apr 6, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
I have one friend who has yet to play Portal.

Everyone else in our group has played it except him, so he's completely in the dark when it comes to the inside jokes.

We keep trying to get him to play it, this should do nicely.
That sounds like me only person out of all my friends who hasen't played it yet and friends keep telling me to play it but now i've seen this i may try it will make my friends happy.

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Is it Valve missing the mark, or is it your administration?
I guess a little of both. Another teacher I know from a nearby district suggested that if Valve really wanted to push this for education they could release a version specifically FOR education without the plot and occasional blood splatters (blood being the biggest hindrance for administrators; we have to keep things 'school appropriate'). Don't get me wrong, I'm all for games as educational tools but it's just VERY difficult to get administrators to go along with it.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Last time they did this was for the Mac release right? Well, that's cool, but I already own it. I could tell my brother to download it though.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Chrono212 said:
Sovvolf said:
Chrono212 said:
Again?!

Learning or Portal 2?
I want demos.
I don't pirate because that hurts games and the like so I'll just end up using my Xbox which causes family friction.
It would be a much better way to get people interested, especially if it's a clever demo like...something that did a clever demo!

Hold up, I think I might be taking this the wrong way but are you trying to say that this Poral free thing is a bad thing. As for demos, try using "Can you run it" that should give you an idea.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
*Cough*
I'm not exactly sure how to say this but I may be the one person on this website that hasn't played Portal.

I have a very valid reason for not doing so, I'm just not aware of it at present.

*Scurries off to download it*

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Samwise137 said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for games as educational tools but it's just VERY difficult to get administrators to go along with it.
Indeed it is, though back when I was at school (going back about 5 years ago now) we had The Sims and a Flight Simulator used as educational games... Don't know how Sims got passed with all the gracious sex involved but it was more about seeing how to cope with life out of school. Getting work, going to sleep on time for work, social life... Balancing dinner times and such. Costs of furniture, having a family... Stuff like that.

Flight Sim was there to teach us how to fly....

Chrono212

May 19, 2009
Sovvolf said:
Chrono212 said:
Sovvolf said:
Chrono212 said:
Again?!

Learning or Portal 2?
I want demos.

Hold up, I think I might be taking this the wrong way but are you trying to say that this Poral free thing is a bad thing. As for demos, try using "Can you run it" that should give you an idea.
"Free things = Bad"
What cruel and inhuman world do I inhabit...
No, I'm not saying that (how would I survive?!) and Can You Run It always says I can but I always get frame-rate issues or something similar.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Even though I have played and completed both Portals on my Xbox, downloaded it anyway. Just in case, one day far in the future I suddenly feel like playing Portal and I don't have my console in the near vicinity.