Portal "One-Fifth As Likely to Crash on a Mac" as on PC

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
SimuLord said:
Whenever Valve says anything about Portal, I'm disinclined to trust it because I picture GLaDOS saying it.
Valve promises to stop enhancing the truth in 3... 2... 1... *Static*

But yeah, I've never heard of portal crashing. I mean, once, the physics failed and all the furniture began sinking.
But apart from that, it's all fine.

And I want to say something about how macs suck, but I won't distract them from playing Portal on low settings and low FPS.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Swarley said:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/LeadReaper/portalmac.jpg
Let me rephrase that for greater visibility. I'm a massive PC fanboy, and I still like it.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Meh, could care less...unless this is somehow ARG related! =O Let's see...one divided by five is 0.20...Mac computers...hmm...

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
Portal has never crashed on my PC, so this doesn't really carry that much weight.

Apr 28, 2008
Sir Kemper said:
MaxChaos said:
Killing Floor is an odd choice for what is basically a launch line-up, I'd have assumed they'd go with Team Fortress 2.
baggyn said:
MaxChaos said:
Killing Floor is an odd choice for what is basically a launch line-up, I'd have assumed they'd go with Team Fortress 2.
The thing Valve are showcasing this week is Mac vs PC gaming. I was really hoping for TF2 but i guess i'll have to wait a bit longer
Dont worry children, the glory of TF2 will grace your pale, pretentious computers soon enough.

I kid, I kid.

Anyway, I wouden't really diss Killing Floor, It's quite a good game actually! Definetly worth a try.
Indeed. Occasionally we at the TF2 group will all get on and play a few games of it.

Good times.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Intresting choice on killing floor. But still hood. Love that game

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Let's compare how often Portal would crash for me if I had a mac. What's one fifth of zero?

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
Macs crash less than PCs?

In other news, the sun is hot and the sky is blue.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
MaxChaos said:
Have you played it? It's pretty good, and they advertised the hell out of it.

pineapplewizzard

May 15, 2010
i still feel that the mac is a good product but first my gaming is console and then my PC gaming which mostly consists of RTSs and a few random games.
i got portal for PC from steam ant it never crashed on me and overall does it really matter.

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
feather240 said:
Have you played it? It's pretty good, and they advertised the hell out of it.
Killing Floor? I've been playing it since it was a UT2004 mod - it's a hell of a game, yeah. It's just that, what with this being Valve's pioneering foray into the world of Mac, I'd assumed they'd concentrate on the titles that have helped establish Steam. Don't get me wrong, I can see why they chose Killing Floor (fun MP title, stirs up misconceptions of Mac games being 'twee' and 'pretty') but it just seems such a MOR title to bring out at this stage.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Andy Chalk said:
A week after rolling out Steam for the Mac, Valve says that Portal [http://orange.half-life2.com/portal.html] is one-fifth as likely to crash on a Mac as it is on Windows.
Probably because Macs can't make an orange portal ;)
Except we can.

Also, this just says it all, doesn't it?

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
whaleswiththumbs said:
Wow, well Valve, Portal has never crashed for me, so does that mean Portal on Mac suffers some sort of mathematical error?
That's what I'm guessing. Portal is one of the more stable games ever, so how is this valid?!?

...They're probably throwing all the mac users who realized that they couldn't even play TF2 a propaganda bone.

Quesa

Jul 8, 2009
Now that's just odd, why do you fancy the company that gets to lock down virtually every aspect of their hardware and software would have fewer stability issues than the great free for all that is the rest of the computing world? What are we comparing here, anyway, little Bubba's seven year old Emachines' 173 crashes to i3/i5 based Macs?

MercenaryCanary

Mar 24, 2008
No fair, Valve. You seem to have not taken in the factor that Portal has been available for PC gamers since 2007.
Three years.
That's three years time to crash.

Now, if the Mac's have a fifth of the crashes compared to those three years in a time as short as a few weeks...
Well, it just doesn't look good.