Portal Playing Dad Frustrates to No End

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Wow if you really want to grasp the concept of "portals go both ways" just chase yourself for a while... Also that dad is fucking awesome

Now Valve, add a secret hydrolic lift with a hidden button in Portal 2!

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
poiumty said:
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Um, no offense, but....How exactly does this qualify as news?

I mean, its a funny video and all, but....you know....It's called the Newsroom for a reason.
I've asked this a few times in the past. Their reply was something along the lines of "Problem, user?".
Well to be frank, most of the times i've seen users complain about the escapist covering thing, it's when they report on the latest shenanigans of anonymous such as the thing recently with the WBC (although you cold have complained on other stories that's just where i've seen the complaining). IMHO people seem to only be complaining about those because they don't care for the group behind the story. This is a different situation than that IMHO since this really doesn't have any relevance to anything.

AWDMANOUT

Jan 4, 2010
Lol. It's like watching my dad play the modern warfare campaign.

I guess they just can't grasp how easy it is... it's just... abstract for them.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
Looks like he was mostly having trouble realising how the portals worked at first. He was doing ok otherwise, although his inexperience with the controls might make a few of the later parts a lot more difficult than the beginning puzzle parts where you can take your time.

Ailia

Nov 11, 2010
I got my mom to try last Sunday. She got the concept pretty fast, her only problem was with the camera (I have the PS3 Orange Box version).
So she convinced my dad to try. With my mom back-seat gaming, he managed to beat a few levels, but remained baffled by the portals. He couldn't understand them. It hurt to watch...
OT: At least I can say my parents we a little better than this guy. .__.

IAmTheVoid

Apr 26, 2009
That was hilarious. I was literally egging the dad on the entire time with my girlfriend on Skype. Can't believe this hasn't gotten any more views...

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
That's a pretty cool dad. He actually takes interest in what his kid does, doesn't get pissy about being filmed doing poorly at something, and sticks with the game despite it being extremely hard for him.

Apr 28, 2008
I'm always amazed at how many skills gamers take for granted are really hard to grasp/teach for those who don't play games.

Nothing against people who don't play games, not at all. Its just something I find interesting.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
Irridium said:
I'm always amazed at how many skills gamers take for granted are really hard to grasp/teach for those who don't play games.

Nothing against people who don't play games, not at all. Its just something I find interesting.
I have to agree with you there.

OT: Fair play to him for not giving up! He didn't even sound frustrated at any point, just very confused..

Idiotastic

Mar 21, 2010
Excelsior!
Seems like a pretty fun dad.

The hydraulics part was pretty awful to watch,though.
Maybe there's a button? -facepalm-

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
I was worse when I was first introduced to counterstrike

Took one step..dead

took another step dead again

then i put on my angry noob face

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
poiumty said:
Um, no offense, but....How exactly does this qualify as news?

I mean, its a funny video and all, but....you know....It's called the Newsroom for a reason.
I've asked this a few times in the past. Their reply was something along the lines of "Problem, user?".
Yeah, I've seen it done. I tried to be as nice as possible for the thought police Benevolent Masters of The Glorious Escapist.

Oooh, they're probably going to get me for that.

YOU'RE ONLY PROVING ME RIGHT!!!
Don't feel bad. I've actually been told by a couple of them that if I'm coming to the Escapist for news or to help me learn what great games I've missed while I've been out of the internet loop that I'm coming to the wrong place. This site is for entertainment only, then again if they didn't maintain that and tried to do more than pass themselves off as a source of actual information they could get into a big legal mess.

This is entertainment. Period. (According to said thought police)

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
When my dad saw me playing Warhammer he asked me how do I know which buttons to press and what everything on the screen means. It looked too complex to him. Remember, the most popular game old people play is still chess.

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
So Kotaku gets a redesign and now Escapist is posting news with half retort remarks and stuff which at borderline is called 'Goo News'.

What is this? The year all news outlets are on strike or something? I mean why? Is because we have WikiLea-ooooohhhh....