Portal Playing Dad Frustrates to No End

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
therandombear said:
He should try Portal: Prelude, myself I haven't tried it, but by the sound of it it's much harder then "regular" portal.

I enjoyed watching these videos though...:3
I've tried it. I think I got halfway through the first or second level :S

Silver

Jun 17, 2008
Maybe the lesson here isn't that people who don't play video games are stupid, but that people who do play them need to learn patience. Maybe it's all the people getting frustrated and calling him mentally challenged who need to take a step back, take a humble pill, and try to see something from another perspective than their own, hmm?

Is it really that frustrating to watch? It's someone genuinely interested in trying out and learning about something completely alien to them, that means a lot to us, and learning quite quickly. It's understanding where the intuitive flaws lie in the games we play, about what assumptions we make, and it's also a tribute to Valve for creating something that can be enjoyed even by people who doesn't already know all this.

I didn't find it frustrating at all, I found it inspirational, but if it really is that frustrating, maybe we still need to learn to stick it out. I know you all think you're the most brilliant people on the planet, but put yourself in his shoes. Something completely alien to you, the ur-example being a father figure explaining the intricacies of sports. Most of you would give up after less than five minutes, calling the whole hobby stupid, the rules stupid, and arrogantly think you're "above" such things.

Think of the news of this article as the lesson about humility he can teach us all. That might be nice, and if we take it to heart, it might make the gaming community much more pleasant, not only to newcomers and outsiders, but between gamers as well.

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
At least hes a nice funny guy! He just hasn't got the same mind as a gamer! Good on him for giving it a go though!

And to be fair, the first time we all played portal it took us a while to grasp the portal mechanics (portals go both ways)

MaG iiC 3E

Dec 5, 2010
I was laughing at the fourth video. When Clubbed to Death started playing when he got the Cube through, only for it to stop every single time he put it back down.

Good find, and nice job on the dad's part.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Um, no offense, but....How exactly does this qualify as news?

I mean, its a funny video and all, but....you know....It's called the Newsroom for a reason.
It's a General Interest story. Like the ones you would see on the back end of a news broadcast after the sports and weather, or in the Human Interests section of the newspaper.

Sep 14, 2009
oh god, this was so similar to me trying to get my grandpa setup with his new wii, good god..i never thought someone could be so..illogical at something. especially when he is a chief programmer at his company..

Joe Deadman

Jan 9, 2010
Heh reminds me of this:
It's kinda frustrating watching this sort of thing but eh that's just because we take things for granted.

I'm sure I would give plenty of mathematicians aneurysms trying to figure out advanced mathmatics.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
I'm actually quite impressed - he did a lot better than I thought he would from the description of the video. For starters, the basic controls didn't seem to confuse him at all, even if he hadn't quite mastered them yet, so I guess he's had some experience at player first person games before.

As said above, it seemed the main problem he had was figuring out how to use the portals, and once he got that he was able to solve the problems pretty well.

It's interesting viewing, especially since I'm trying to get my girlfriend to broaden her gaming experience past Freecell >_> I'm going to try her out on Portal soon in the hope that we will be able to play Portal 2 together ^_^

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Really?... -REALLY?-

I find it hard to believe that -all- adults have it this bad

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
My mom tried playing WoW once when I first got it... Her experience was about the same, trying to figure out what the hell was going on

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
My father has similar problems with concepts like "the Start button" and "double-clicking." This kid has my utmost respect.

Oct 20, 2010
Wo0t. that was fun. Remind me of my mom and aunt Paige trying to beat The Legend Of Zelda. It wasn't a problem with methodology- they were surprisingly forthright adventurers and and thorough explorers. But if I hear the question "which one's the B button?" in my life ever again in reference to a NES controller, my head will explode.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
it was kinda frustrating to watch a even though i have yet to played portal. but have played a flash game version of portal so i under stood the basic concepts and i could easily figure out the puzzles way before that guy could even solve it

Oct 20, 2010
Metal Brother said:
My father has similar problems with concepts like "the Start button" and "double-clicking." This kid has my utmost respect.
I love it when people- literate, educated people cannot even VISUALLY read a controller.
My dad looked at xbox controllers and said, how do you know what button IS what? Not DOES what, is what.

After patiently showing him how they were not only alphabetical, but COLOUR CODED, and came with a manual clearly delineating their said in game function, he satisfactorily turned B button and hung his head in shame.

Though in his defense, screwdrivers confuse him.

Airsoftslayer93

Minecraft King
Mar 17, 2010
poiumty said:

I mean, its a funny video and all, but....you know....It's called the Newsroom for a reason.
I've asked this a few times in the past. Their reply was something along the lines of "Problem, user?".
does it really matter? its a slow news day, it doesnt really bother you guys

thephich

May 25, 2009
mikev7.0 said:
poiumty said:

I've asked this a few times in the past. Their reply was something along the lines of "Problem, user?".
Yeah, I've seen it done. I tried to be as nice as possible for the thought police Benevolent Masters of The Glorious Escapist.

Oooh, they're probably going to get me for that.

YOU'RE ONLY PROVING ME RIGHT!!!
Don't feel bad. I've actually been told by a couple of them that if I'm coming to the Escapist for news or to help me learn what great games I've missed while I've been out of the internet loop that I'm coming to the wrong place. This site is for entertainment only, then again if they didn't maintain that and tried to do more than pass themselves off as a source of actual information they could get into a big legal mess.

This is entertainment. Period. (According to said thought police)
It's the weekend, not much news till the work week. Filler till the press gets rolling again I guess?

Rasputin1

Don't panic
Apr 6, 2010

Who cares, it's entertaining. Plus if you're looking at it from a news point of view, it's probably just trying to show how easy we find gaming, because we're conditioned to it. Whereas people completly new to it find the simplest things hard.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009

We live in the goddamn information age, the dawn of the Internet. Whatever in the world can be news, nothing doesn't have to be important for it to be newsworthy any more.

OT: Very funny. Prolly will get around to watching the rest later.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Sutter Cane said:
poiumty said:

Well to be frank, most of the times i've seen users complain about the escapist covering thing, it's when they report on the latest shenanigans of anonymous such as the thing recently with the WBC (although you cold have complained on other stories that's just where i've seen the complaining). IMHO people seem to only be complaining about those because they don't care for the group behind the story. This is a different situation than that IMHO since this really doesn't have any relevance to anything.
What do you mean this has no revelance to anything. Here we have a father who is not a gamer playing a video game and having fun. A triple AAA retail game at that. For all the hating and whining that goes on when a news story calls GTA "ultra violent" and never mentions it again this is quite newsworthy. This is what we want to see. This is what we need to see. Sure the Escapist may not be as big as Faux News (or as anti gaming) but you know what who cares? Does the news always have to be doom and gloom? Does the news stations you watch only report the facts? Do they not throw in a feel good story here and there that only really matters to the people involved? Don't the newspapers you read? Or have they cut out things like comics and the sunday funnies? Try climbing down from your ivory tower every once in a while and walk with us mere mortals. Might give you a little perspective.