Possible cure for so-called "consolitis"

baboon 101

Jun 11, 2009
The developers might as well just put a link to the torrent on their website.

Something like that would just give the piracy crowd more self righteous roundabout justification for piracy.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
As price goes up, fewer people are willing to shell out what it's worth, meaning that at best, even from the greediest perspective imaginable, you're just gambling on whether you'll gain or lose a very minor percentage of profit overall.

New games sit at one price($60, used to be $50, etc.) for a reason, if they sold them based off a percentage of what development cost them the prices would be all over the place.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Increasing the price will only further increase the expectations that users are expecting which the developers/publishers are not delivering. Therefore, adding another $10/£10/[insert you currency] only further fuels the publishers' greedy fingers.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Wouldn't work. Piracy etc. Not to mention the fact that PC gamers are used to paying less for games. The thing that's hurting the PC game market more than anything is the push for higher end graphics. As Movie Bob said fewer and fewer people are getting desktop computers, they're all getting laptops and tablets. And a laptop just isn't capable of using the Nividia over 9000 Zero G force DirectX 30 graphics card needed to run Crysis 4 on medium settings.

Everyone in the late nineties early 2000's which is often considered the golden age of PC gaming had a desktop. And they didn't need to spend six hundred dollars on graphics cards to get all the latest games to run. Game developers designed games around the systems everyone had. I just don't feel like developers are doing that anymore. Seriously one of the big reasons why WoW was able to become so widely used was because it could run smoothly on virtually any ratty old computer.

Don't believe me? Ok how many of you reading this have a computer that can run Crysis 2 with all the settings cranked up? Now how many of you know at least five other people who have computers that can run Crysis 2?

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
It's high-end pcs that's premium hardware compared to consoles. That doesn't hold for the games. On both platforms there's shovelware and high quality stuff. Except they just all charge the same price.

Nostalgia

Mar 8, 2009
The fact that the internet didn't work then like it does today and you have less piracy on your hands. I mean, there is hilarity such as this.....

But the fact that torrenting games is so easy and accessible that anyone can do it leads to less people actually spending money on anything. Afraid that they will actually waste money on games that simply won't run on their computer is another unfortunate situation, and many games don't even provide demos for this kind of situation. System requirements are usually barebone enough that the game can run, even if it runs like shit. Performance is a big thing.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
This is fucking retarded.

The current $60 AAA price range was created by the consoles since the console manufacturers were selling their hardware at a loss and needed to recoup those losses by raising the price of the titles. If anything, console titles will have their prices increased in the next generation due to development costs, and PC gamers will be stuck with higher priced games again because of this.

Also, who says it's cheaper to make games for consoles? Console development kits are vastly more expensive, which is why all the new and small development companies make PC games exclusively.

Hell, raise the prices and launch date sales on the PC will plummet further as people will wait for the Steam bargain bin or resort to piracy.

As for those idiots sprouting 'Piracy is killing off PC gaming', I'm just going to go quote myself...

Ummm, Crysis and FarCry sold 3 million+ copies each on the PC. BF2 sold 6 million+ on all platforms, around 4 million of which were on the PC. Half Life 2 was leaked like Crysis, and yet it outsold Halo:CE. SC2 hit 3 million sales in its first month. Piracy is rampant, but that didn't stop Steam from racking nearly a billion dollars last year. Note, nearly every single franchise has set itself up on the PC, and after they gained enough revenue, they started working on console development kits - which are damn expensive, and the chief reason why small developers usually make PC exclusives only. Piracy has not stopped games like STALKER, Metro and The Witcher sell millions of copies and warrant sequels. These developers didn't even spend money on large ad campaigns, and gained popularity through word of mouth.

If it's a good PC oriented game, it will sell well.

Fact is, making multi-platform titles is an economically sound decision. What I'm trying to point out is that the PC market is not a niche market, and makes up a large portion of overall gamers. So devs should actually give a shit and develop the PC titles alongside the consoles with the same priority.

And just so you know, the used game sales market is starting to sting. GameStop raked over $2 billion last year selling used games, none of which went to the devs. Couple that with the millions of players being banned from XBL for modding their XBoxes and running boot-legged copies of games, not to mention Sony going after all those people using GeoHot's firmware hack and thus being able to run pirated games, while console games are being constantly leaked before their release dates on P2P sites (just look at the last two Halo titles)... I would say console gamers are catching up with us. Still far behind, but catching up...

Does that mean devs should sell sub-par products to those console gamers who bought the games, ignoring the millions of sales in revenue?

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
I dont know about this, havent read the rest of the thread yet, but saying pc should charge more? why the hell is that a good idea from a fan?

oh and if we charged more for a possibly better graphics experience then you are screwing the guy with the lower end machine. like me, I'm in the middle and can't play games at their very highest settings when they are super amazing graphically like crysis or something. I would actually prefer to pay less for an experience that may or may not function on my machine

Alden Hou

Mar 19, 2010
the solution is to lower prices, yep, lower them, if most pc gamers pirate video games, then isnt it logical to give them an incentive to buy it instead? and also, a selling point could be multiplayer, since pirated games have none,so include a kickass multi experience and it will get more sales because people will,again, have an incentive to buy and not pirate.(battlefield ;))

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
The day they increase the price of PC games is the day everyone stops buying PC games.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
You do realize that all games are developed on PCs regardless of platform? And that developing for consoles is harder do to the hardware constraints? And that your attitude is entirely elitist? And that games aren't defined by their console but rather by their content and thus would require higher price not for a console but for development energies spent to make it?

weker

May 27, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
Everyone will just pirate the games anyway. PC gamers are killing themselves, if they want to fix the problem it is as simple as STOP BREAKING THE LAW YOU [removed for common decency]
ah the problem here is you make it sound like console gaming doesn't do it, however ofc they do in the bucket load.

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
I'm a PC gamer because I already had a PC built to run graphics and modeling programs.

If I didn't care about that, but just wanted to play games, I guess I'd get a good console.

Honestly, the PC vs. console thing makes as much sense as hating someone because they root for the "wrong" sports team. I mean, I know guys like that. I just don't understand them.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Interesting idea, but it can't work, not in this business.
When EA knows people will pay 60$ for a yearly stamp out like FIFA/NHL/NBA/DA2 then they would make something like DA:O go for 200-300$.
And what about Duke, been in development for 14 years should we now fork over 1000+ to cover all their time invested?

The only thing that would do is kill all sales of quality games and for the first time ever we would get piracy exclusives.

The casualization can only be cured if developers want to do that, ofcourse the management only wants to see more green in their pocket, but their developers do want to put out a quality product.
I think companies should do a tradeoff, do one mainstream yearly stamp out title and meanwhile develop one quality title with that money, gives more time to do things properly, reduces the risk of doing new things,...

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
CD-R said:
Wouldn't work. Piracy etc. Not to mention the fact that PC gamers are used to paying less for games. The thing that's hurting the PC game market more than anything is the push for higher end graphics. As Movie Bob said fewer and fewer people are getting desktop computers, they're all getting laptops and tablets. And a laptop just isn't capable of using the Nividia over 9000 Zero G force DirectX 30 graphics card needed to run Crysis 4 on medium settings.

Everyone in the late nineties early 2000's which is often considered the golden age of PC gaming had a desktop. And they didn't need to spend six hundred dollars on graphics cards to get all the latest games to run. Game developers designed games around the systems everyone had. I just don't feel like developers are doing that anymore. Seriously one of the big reasons why WoW was able to become so widely used was because it could run smoothly on virtually any ratty old computer.

Don't believe me? Ok how many of you reading this have a computer that can run Crysis 2 with all the settings cranked up? Now how many of you know at least five other people who have computers that can run Crysis 2?
You mean back when a 3Dfx graphics card cost $600 and $150 for 4 meg of ram

http://www.pcworld.com/article/9150/average_pc_price_drops_below_1000.html

Yeah computers were real cheap back in 1998

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
allinwonder said:
(Disclaimer: I am a die hard PC gamer)
So there is a big fuss recently about "consolitis". I found this argument quite often:

"People need to understand that games development is a business and for any business to survive it needs to sell to as many people as possible."

Seems correct, right? Wrong. Why BMW, Mercedes, Porsche survive so good without selling to as many people as possible?
I stopped reading about there (only for a short time), as it made me think of this part from Shoot'em Up:

Smith: Know what the difference between a porcupine and this BMW is?
Girl (forgot name): No, but I bet you're going to tell me...
Smith: The porcupine has his pricks on the outside.

I chuckled, also I was going to use this as my response, but I finished the rest of the post before...

Anyways, I was somewhat surrpised by the OP's suggestion... Charge MORE for PC games? I cant even fathom how the hell that is suppose to work...

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
pirates may download the shit out of the game

but I'm not gonna lie

I'd pay more than a console game for a proper PC port of big name games

Bulletstorm comes to mind