Possibly Habitable Planet Confirmed By NASA

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Isn't it almost time for Zefram Cochrane's historic flight?"
Don't be too enthused; that's in the final days after WW III...

Palfreyfish

Mar 18, 2011
It could feasibly support Chlorine based 12 legged squid like flying tree climbers that surf the sky currents and live in great big floating palaces. It doesn't just have to support Carbon based life. They could breathe chlorine based air and be allergic to oxygen

Habitability is a wide ranging thing, and this makes me happy. Also, sign me up now, I volunteer for this mission, for the sake of Humanity.

>.>

Totally...

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Korten12 said:
Sweet... Now when can we go there. D:
when we can travel at the speed of light and live for 0ver 600 years.
:(

OT: since that isnt possible... tractor beam!

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
DracoSuave said:
Treblaine said:
"Possibly Habitable Planet Confirmed By NASA"

isn't this a conflict in terms?
No.

They've confirmed a possibility. Read the article, not the headline.
The Title itself is still could be a conflict in terms

Cowabungaa said:
Treblaine said:
"Possibly Habitable Planet Confirmed By NASA"

isn't this a conflict in terms?
Nope, the existence of the planet is confirmed, whether or not it's habitable is still not clear. Obvious, of course. For instance, it being warm and cozy is one thing, but I'd like the atmosphere to be breathable too.
Well the title seems to say "NASA confirms possibility of planet being habitable"

or is it a case of "Is it possible or impossible this planet could be habitable"

"NASA can confirm it is possible, based on the assumption all planets are without the possible of habitability without meeting certain criteria"

FUUUUU- I'm realising how pedantic I'm being. I just baulk at the combination of "possible" and "confirmed" seeming to overlap with each other.

Fuck it, I'll got back and edit.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Has anyone calculated the gravity pull of the planet? Seems quite a bit bigger then earth.

NoPants2win

Dec 4, 2010
Difficult to calculate because they don't know if the planet is rock or gas, but back of the envelope calculations assuming the density of earth work out to about 13.17 m/s. Earth Gravity is 9.81 m/s. Meaning gravity would be about 1.34 times earth normal. Some astronomer probably just threw up on himself but the gravity would probably be somewhere close to that if it's relatively earth like, maybe a bit higher.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Isn't it almost time for Zefram Cochrane's historic flight?
You can wait 50 odd years, Doctor Who is flying around right now.

If we could build telescopes that could see farther, then we might be able to see if there actually is life on those planets, it'd be 600 years behind, but it would be nice to see it all the same.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
008Zulu said:
Greg Tito said:
Isn't it almost time for Zefram Cochrane's historic flight?
You can wait 50 odd years, Doctor Who is flying around right now.
As much as i dislike Dr. Who, I'm inclined to agree with you, considering that a large nuclear war precedes Cochrane's historic flight.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
hmmm, Arrive when im 620 years old? but that means I'd have to start a family on the shuttle towards it and then the 10th to 15th generation would be able to colonize the planet. you would need a lot of different people to make sure we dont get no inbred kids up there.

or cryogenics would be viable.

"ok kids, heres your chance, now dont fuck it up for the human race like they did back on earth please!, now go and build a retirement home for your old dad."

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
Halyah said:
Nouw said:
Marcus Kehoe said:
Come on hot blue and or green ladies.
I don't want Death by Snusnu though!
Could always just get someone you know to paint themself green or blue instead. Sounds better than dying by snusnu to me.... but I guess at least those who do, go out with a smile or something? On the bright side if it's a tropical planet, it'll end up as a vacation spot in no time! Granted I doubt this planet even has anything we'd think of as plants...
For one It takes time and money,mostly money, to get females to paint themselves and to kill you by snu-snu, and it would likely be in vain.
I would die by snu-snu if it was to ah...save their population!...yeah that reason.

LucidGizmo

Jul 20, 2009
Given that the maximum speed of a shuttle is about 17,500 MPH, it would take us just under ~7,000 years to reach the planet. Of course, we would need a MUCH bigger spacecraft then we have now to hold all the fuel for the trip, not to mention supplies :) I would say, IMHO, we are a minimum of 200 years away from being able to accomplish that, barring a break-though innovation.

TL;DR not happening in our lifetime

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
This sounds fun.
But didn't the article say this was one fo the 54 candidates?? So this is the best possiblity but we have other planets closer which may not be as close to earth but also habitable?
Soon every country can have their own planet xD

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Guffe said:
This sounds fun.
But didn't the article say this was one fo the 54 candidates?? So this is the best possiblity but we have other planets closer which may not be as close to earth but also habitable?
Soon every country can have their own planet xD
I wonder how Planet Brazil (mine) will be like.

Maybe there will soft rocks to kick into spider nets with rectangular shapes.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Sweet a new planet to put onto colonises or invades/ peaceful encounter if there is life there.
I wonder if there is life on that planet and have a similar advancement as us, would that mean on one of their websites they had made news about their telescope had found an inhabitable planet that is twice as small as theirs?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
1) Are there aliens?
2) Are there sexy aliens?
3) Can we have sex with the sexy aliens?

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
Ill just leave this right here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVn1oQL9sWg

OT: Thats really cool.