Postal 2 - Ambitious Garbage

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Postal 2 - Ambitious Garbage

Originally released in 2003, Postal 2 has some interesting ideas but buries them under stinking mounds of tasteless humor, failed satire and mediocre shooting mechanics that make it barely worth booting up.

Read Full Article

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Ah, the last good game in the Postal series. The obligatory sewer level, the Ebola launcher in the terrorist training camp, Habib's suicidal wives, Parents Against Graffiti, Coleman, Krotchy, napalm, useless exploding props, the woman with the head of a man, the marching band, the doughnut shop with a turd on the shelf...

Oh yeah, this was one fun game.

"...And remember, kids: It's only as violent as you are!"

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
I managed to finish it with only 1 kill (sadly while Dude was on fire a cop came too close)
That was the most fun I ever had with any game :)
I occasionally replay it- it is my guilty pleasure when I need to blow some steam.
Next time I'll try to do it with 0 kills.

P.S. And gasoline canister IS awesome weapon. Especially to soak ground near bunch of people and then light it up >:D

P.P.S. Apocalypse weekend can go die in the fire :mad:

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
blackrave said:
I managed to finish it with only 1 kill (sadly while Dude was on fire a cop came too close)
I occasionally replay it- it is my guilty pleasure when I need to blow some steam.

P.S. And gasoline canister IS awesome weapon. Especially to soak ground near bunch of people and then light it up >:D

I'm really impressed you were able to do that, especially thinking back on how frustrated I was with some of the situations it drops you in.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
"Ambitious Garbage"
"GARBAGE"

reaction:

I love postal 2 ;3; I just love all the horrible stuff you can do to burn off some angry fumes, but to each his own i'l honor your opinion .... *Knife sharpening sounds* XD

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
StewShearer said:
blackrave said:

I'm really impressed you were able to do that, especially thinking back on how frustrated I was with some of the situations it drops you in.
I was really dedicated ;)
Few rules to play
*Run&dodge
*Shocker and urine are your ways of self defense and occasional lolz
*Allow cops to deal with as much enemies as possible (having a dog pet isn't a bad idea either)
*Stockpile drugs, food and armor- you'll need every single Hp you can get (and cat nip allows you to get away from tight spots)
*For a love of non-existent god whenever you're on fire pee on yourself and don't allow any other character near you, since if someone gets fire from Dude and dies it counts towards your kill, and fire spreads faster than hepatitis (ruined my pacifist run, but maybe raiding police station wasn't the smartest idea either :D )

And I played on one of medium difficulties (can't remember exact one)
Got rank of Sunday Murderer (or something like that)

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Well, Postal 1 and 2 are on sale on Steam until the week/weekend ends for a dollar and $2.50, respectively.

The thing I like about Postal 2 is how stupid and crudely designed the people are. I have no qualms with messing with them in several ways, especially with in-game cheats on. Also, dumb weapons include kicking with a separate key/button and a shovel whose loudness rivals the Left 4 Dead 2 (and Team Fortress 2) frying pan.
blackrave said:
P.P.S. Apocalypse weekend can go die in a fire :mad:

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Postal 2 is crude, it's unappealing. It has some mechanics that work and some that don't, some humor works and some doesn't. It's trash. But I say it's in a good sense. It knows it's no high art, it sticks with being trash and runs with it faster than Usain Bolt on speeds. And it, most of all, has its own charm. Which is far more than I can say with polished AAA-titles like, say, The Bureau, that I bought a couple of days ago. Postal 2 is just fun to mess around with and just be a total asshole in. It's got a wide arsenal of weapons and allows you to carry all of it in your trenchcoat, it's got some nice moments and the gasoline can is totally great. I know Postal 2 is not strictly "good", but it's highly enjoyable and I like it.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
As the poster above me already said: it's crude, and I'll ad that it's clunky but I can gett some enjoyment out of it. I can't say it's really good but it isn't 'meh' either. I actually kinda enjoy Postal 2, dispite it's flaws. Besides, are there any other games where you can just pee on other people out of sheer randomness?

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
I could never get into Postal 2 in the least, all its gag humor as just so low brow it made my monocle pop out by the shock of it all. Seriously I didn't like it for that reason. It encourages you to shoot arabs because they are probably terrorists anyway (which of course they are because its that low brow). I can't give it pass as stupid fun when its not particularly fun just shocking how tasteless its humor is.

Lazar Gruev

Mar 21, 2012
Yea, I don't agree with the Stew a bit. The game is a modern classic in my opinion. And there is DLC on the way believe it or not.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
"Even so, it still feels like a revocation of its efforts to give you choice when it doesn't take it all the way. It just muddied the waters and left the gaming feeling more standard to me when, otherwise, it could have been an interesting piece of interactive commentary."

This sort of thing reminds me of this:

Not everything needs to be a big social commentary, in Postal 2 the "It's only as violent as you are!" is more of a joke on how it is possible but not expected (and not because the players are sadists but because the game wont let them get it the easy way).

Its still a fun game, and an interesting at that where you have the most mundane tasks turned into shit by the most retarded reasons. The "dont give a fuck" attitude also helps the crudeness of the game to make it stand out in how honest it is about itself.

Its a retarded game for retarded fun.

After this and the Duke Nukem 3D review it seems like somehow the political correctness overdose of the 2010's was expected to exist 10 years ago and everything that tries to be somewhat crass is seen as bad.

I wonder what the review of the original Postal or GTA 2 would be like

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
POSTAL 2!!

HA, I've just remembered that I DO actually have Postal 2 in my steam list. And its definitely worth booting up after a shit day at work.

Mister1Up

Jul 19, 2014
blackrave said:

Exactly this. I only finished with 3 kills, when a dog I decided to befriend attacked and killed several cops. :( I'll try for zero again after the upcoming expansion pack comes out and GOG gets the new updates.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I like Postal 2.

Its a fun and really strange setup.

I like trying to do semi-pacifist runs (Only shoot in self-defence...) - and honestly, trying not to lose your shit at the things that happen to you in the game half the fun.

The weekend expansion is... meh - Hotline Miami did a braindamage part much better.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Comparing it to Far Cry? Last I checked, Far Cry was a AAA title for 04, whereas Postal 2 would be the equivalent of an indie game. Only better looking than a lot of indie games coming out now.

Honestly, back in 03, Postal 2 was exactly what I expected, and for the day/era, it was pretty good. There are a lot of games these days that come out that make me go "It's 2014, why the fuck is this still a thing!?"

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Barbas said:
Ah, the last good game in the Postal series. The obligatory sewer level, the Ebola launcher in the terrorist training camp, Habib's suicidal wives, Parents Against Graffiti, Coleman, Krotchy, napalm, useless exploding props, the woman with the head of a man, the marching band, the doughnut shop with a turd on the shelf...

Oh yeah, this was one fun game.

"...And remember, kids: It's only as violent as you are!"
Go get that dog turd donut and drop it in front of a cop, may take some work to get it right, then either run or whip out your favorite gun.

You can complete the entire game, including the library and brewery levels without firing a single shot. I've completed the game without killing anyone, period. The only thing that kept me from getting the Jesus Christ rating at the end was was I had piss myself out in the brewery landing me "Water Sports Enthusiast"

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Mister1Up said:
blackrave said:

Exactly this. I only finished with 3 kills, when a dog I decided to befriend attacked and killed several cops. :( I'll try for zero again after the upcoming expansion pack comes out and GOG gets the new updates.
Dogs killing people counts toward your killcount?
Never knew that.