PPG Writer self-inserts himself as a love interest for one of the girls

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Edit: It was just a joke that me and other people overreacted.

I hope you didn't feel things were too normal on the cartoon world, because 4chan found something that left me and others floored, and that's being generous.

There was this recurring character in the new Powerpuff Girls that's a love interest for Blossom, and people found a pattern where this guys only appeared with a very specific writer, then a picture of the guy leaked and it was discovered that he voiced said character and that's when people freaked out.

... Do I have to say how wrong that is? There is the argument he grew up with the original, but right now he's an adult and she is a kid, 8 year old to be precise, it also doesn't help he is the guy behind that infamous PPG episode where the girls twerk. This show was already on its way out due to low ratings and overall blandness, but this is a whole new level.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I especially love the one of him being all muscled up while Blossom looks up all swooning xD

Say what you will, but damn did he go all out to make his fantasy somewhat reality.
BRB gonna go become a game dev for whoever's working on the next metroid game and worm my way in so the plot is changed to have Samus fall in love with a dashing rogue called Trankster and the ending of the game is them banging followed by a marriage ceremony.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
Hahahaha! Ahahaha. Haaaaa.

I laughed.

Johnny Novgorod said:
I don't get it. What's the controversy. Somebody explain. Help.
An adult writer of a children's animated series has inserted a replica of himself into the show for the purpose of having fictional romantic relations with one of the main characters, who is eight years old.

DudeistBelieve said:
I mean Justin Roiland is on record saying he wants to fuck Summer...
Summer is eighteen, though. The only part of that which is disturbing is the fact that she's a deliberately-unattractive cartoon character.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
bastardofmelbourne said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
An adult writer of a children's animated series has inserted a replica of himself into the show for the purpose of having fictional romantic relations with one of the main characters, who is eight years old.
Isn't his character also a kid, and aren't they both voiced by adults anyway?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
bastardofmelbourne said:
Hahahaha! Ahahaha. Haaaaa.

I laughed.

Johnny Novgorod said:

DudeistBelieve said:
I mean Justin Roiland is on record saying he wants to fuck Summer...
Summer is eighteen, though. The only part of that which is disturbing is the fact that she's a deliberately-unattractive cartoon character.
She's got a booty though. You could also look at it as form of incest since he is her creator.

on the PPG front, I don't have a problem with this.

I kinda had a crush on Anne Frank when I read her diary as a kid, I grew up and she obviously did not. Does that make the sentimental feelings I have there any more weird? well maybe a little because she's an actual human being.

if anything this scenario is less weird. Blossom is a fictional character, and on top of that barely human, her age is kinda irrelevant.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Welp, that's creepy as fuck.

Like, his self-insert might be the right age, but he certainly isn't.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Counterpoint:

According to a show artist, the character was written and then they decided to design him to look like the writer and then decided to have him voice the character as part of the joke.

Still kind of cringey, I don't think staff inspired characters should really be more than background cameos, but yeah, once again 4Chan is largely full of shit. So yeah, the writer did not insert himself as a love interest, he wrote a potential love interest and the art staff thought it would be funny to have the character look like the writer. It's possible the artist is covering for the writer, but given what I can find on him, there is no indication that he's done this kind of thing in the past, so I'm willing to believe the actual show staff over some dumbass anons. Doesn't mean the new PPG sucks any less though, at least the Samurai Jack restart was largely good.

Look, I post to 4Chan, I still get a kick out of the sheer anarchy on occasion, and that anarchy can hit on some great insights from time to time, but 90% of posts like the OP are pure unmitigated horseshit, often designed to purposely jump to the worst most dramatic conclusion simply for the lulz.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
EternallyBored said:
Counterpoint:

According to a show artist, the character was written and then they decided to design him to look like the writer and then decided to have him voice the character as part of the joke.

Still kind of cringey, I don't think staff inspired characters should really be more than background cameos, but yeah, once again 4Chan is largely full of shit. So yeah, the writer did not insert himself as a love interest, he wrote a potential love interest and the art staff thought it would be funny to have the character look like the writer. It's possible the artist is covering for the writer, but given what I can find on him, there is no indication that he's done this kind of thing in the past, so I'm willing to believe the actual show staff over some dumbass anons. Doesn't mean the new PPG sucks any less though, at least the Samurai Jack restart was largely good.

Look, I post to 4Chan, I still get a kick out of the sheer anarchy on occasion, and that anarchy can hit on some great insights from time to time, but 90% of posts like the OP are pure unmitigated horseshit, often designed to purposely jump to the worst most dramatic conclusion simply for the lulz.
Cool. Riddle solved, controversy over.

*sigh* it's not over, is it?

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
"PPG Writer self-inserts himself as a love interest for one of the girls."

Heh, that's a little cringe-worthy! I wonder what PPG is....

"Powerpuff Girls."

....Okey-fucking-dokey!

Alas, for the sake of creepy chuckles it appears that EternallyBored has disproven this, or at the very least provided an excellent counter-point as to why the original source is probably not the most reliable evidence in the world, but I still got my laugh for the day.

Also, on the subject of forbidden love, is anyone else seeing these bloody Indian love guru advertisements spamming all over the Escapist?

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Dragonlayer said:

"Powerpuff Girls."

....Okey-fucking-dokey!

Alas, for the sake of creepy chuckles it appears that EternallyBored has disproven this, or at the very least provided an excellent counter-point as to why the original source is probably not the most reliable evidence in the world, but I still got my laugh for the day.

Also, on the subject of forbidden love, is anyone else seeing these bloody Indian love guru advertisements spamming all over the Escapist?
Still worth a good chuckle even if it isn't the writer being a creep. I mean how the hell did the artists not realize what a bad idea that was, or the writer realize the joke was a bit weird when he was asked to voice the character, or the director catching that a writer voicing what is essentially a self insert character might look bad. Either that or they are adorably innocent in not realizing what a self insert was or how they are viewed by the internet, its like none of them have ever seen bad fanfiction before.

Really, staff self inserts in general are not really something that should be appearing in regular speaking character rolls, even without the romantic context and underage characters it comes across as bad writing, although I've got no problem with the concept when its kept to the background, it was a shame when Hasbro went zero tolerance on staff inserting their OCS into MLP after season 2, some of the staff ponies are actually pretty well designed.

As for the second, yeah, these stupid love guru spam topics have cropped up in the past, at least a year or more ago, dunno if its the lack of mods but its gone from a once or twice kind of thing to these spammers cropping up every night or so, starting to get annoying at this point.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
The words of this image I am linking does not apply to this, but the face of the guy in this image does apply to my reaction to this:

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
EternallyBored said:
Kolby Jack said:
Considering not everybody is gonna see that post that debunks it, it's unlikely. Besides, people were already giving the new show enormous amounts of crap for its writing and humor, so seeing the equivalent of fan-fiction writing making its way on television (especially for the lulz) is the cherry on top of this sundae.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Igor-Rowan said:
Do I have to say how wrong that is?
Yes, you have. It isn't too rare for writers to insert themselves into their stories (and most of the time they suck at it).

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Dragonlayer said:

"Powerpuff Girls."

....Okey-fucking-dokey!

Yep, I see the spambot topics too. Pretty annoying.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Okay, I calmed down, I saw the post already. And I will admit the thought of it being for the lols did cross my mind, but I saw that Phantom of the Opera parody, then I did not think twice.

I better delete this before it causes more trouble.

Naturally Sound

Jul 30, 2014
Considering the amount of anime with self-insert main characters, this doesn't surprise me too much. True or not, this is 4chan we're talking about.