PPG Writer self-inserts himself as a love interest for one of the girls

Oct 22, 2011
bastardofmelbourne said:
DudeistBelieve said:
I mean Justin Roiland is on record saying he wants to fuck Summer...
Summer is eighteen, though. The only part of that which is disturbing is the fact that she's a deliberately-unattractive cartoon character.
Plus, Justin Roilland also does this:
So it's not exactly out of his character... (TBF though, C137 Summer is kinda hot)

CaitSeith said:
Dragonlayer said:
Also, on the subject of forbidden love, is anyone else seeing these bloody Indian love guru advertisements spamming all over the Escapist?
Yep, I see the spambot topics too. Pretty annoying.
Yeah, about this! There's been a real recurring flood of spam recently. Was thinking about creating a topic on that, because dammit, sometimes you need to click through 10 pages of that crap to see normal topics.

Feb 26, 2014
I don't like this show and am convinced it doesn't exist, so anything that happens in this non-existent show isn't worth getting upset over. And even if it did exist, which it doesn't, I can understand why this would be seen as creepy, but if the self-insert is the same age as Blossom I don't really see the big deal. And the kids don't know, so it's not like the show is promoting anything wrong.

Reading this did make me realize that I did very little self-insertion as a child. I liked Raven and Starfire, but I always considered Robin to be Starfire's boo and Raven was with notbeastboy. Even the PPG was sorta shipped with the Rowdyruff Boys. And then Snafu, a comic writer/artist(?) dedicated to violating my childhood, came around and I shipped Blossom with Dexter because it sorta made sense at the time. Despite the fact that Blossom is going to have a kid with HIM or something like that- I don't know. It's been years. I should go back and continue reading it. Point is, I've never really done self-insert.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
EternallyBored said:
its like none of them have ever seen bad fanfiction before.
I would hardly be surprised if a bunch of middle-aged show writers have no exposure to the depths of internet fanfiction.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
EternallyBored said:
Dragonlayer said:
"PPG Writer self-inserts himself as a love interest for one of the girls."

Heh, that's a little cringe-worthy! I wonder what PPG is....

"Powerpuff Girls."

....Okey-fucking-dokey!

Alas, for the sake of creepy chuckles it appears that EternallyBored has disproven this, or at the very least provided an excellent counter-point as to why the original source is probably not the most reliable evidence in the world, but I still got my laugh for the day.

Also, on the subject of forbidden love, is anyone else seeing these bloody Indian love guru advertisements spamming all over the Escapist?
Still worth a good chuckle even if it isn't the writer being a creep. I mean how the hell did the artists not realize what a bad idea that was, or the writer realize the joke was a bit weird when he was asked to voice the character, or the director catching that a writer voicing what is essentially a self insert character might look bad. Either that or they are adorably innocent in not realizing what a self insert was or how they are viewed by the internet, its like none of them have ever seen bad fanfiction before.

Really, staff self inserts in general are not really something that should be appearing in regular speaking character rolls, even without the romantic context and underage characters it comes across as bad writing, although I've got no problem with the concept when its kept to the background, it was a shame when Hasbro went zero tolerance on staff inserting their OCS into MLP after season 2, some of the staff ponies are actually pretty well designed.

As for the second, yeah, these stupid love guru spam topics have cropped up in the past, at least a year or more ago, dunno if its the lack of mods but its gone from a once or twice kind of thing to these spammers cropping up every night or so, starting to get annoying at this point.
It definitely speaks to a certain level of disconnect from, dare I say reality, if this thing was intended as a little staff in-joke that made its way into the show proper. Not to suggest the people involved are stark-raving loony of course, but rather that even a cheekily worded yet relatively innocent private joke can sound *so* much worse when aired for all to see. Especially in the internet age where A) people will gleefully attempt to destroy each other for shits and giggles, B) anything posted online will stay there for all eternity, and C) anything can be taken out of context to look horrendous! One hopes this doesn't blow up and get poor Mr Goldman a "reputation"!

Fully in agreement there, keeping self-inserts strictly to the background lessens the ever-present temptation to give themselves a little buff here, a more important role there, and then an ever-encroaching level of awesomeness until they overshadow every other character. Plus, it's just lazy, y'know? Steal concepts from existing characters and mash them together Draw inspiration from other stuff and come up with something new, don't just plonk yourself into a universe!

It seems that every other time I load a page or refresh, they blanket the entire screen: so many Indian marriages just waiting to happen apparently....

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
CaitSeith said:
Dragonlayer said:
"PPG Writer self-inserts himself as a love interest for one of the girls."

Heh, that's a little cringe-worthy! I wonder what PPG is....

"Powerpuff Girls."

....Okey-fucking-dokey!

Alas, for the sake of creepy chuckles it appears that EternallyBored has disproven this, or at the very least provided an excellent counter-point as to why the original source is probably not the most reliable evidence in the world, but I still got my laugh for the day.

Yep, I see the spambot topics too. Pretty annoying.
They're bloody everywhere! For the past two weeks, at least on my end, I was actually tempted to make a thread to ***** about it, but I figured they'd just disappear after a while....

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
As if the show can't sink any lower.

Yes I read it's all a joke but I still think it was in poor taste. Ignoring the pedo part aside, I think it was sloppy job to put cameo of themselves into a show. I mean normally for a writer or creator to make a cameo, it usually a subtle thing like appearing in the background, not insert him or herself as the focus character AND making oneself flawless too! (I read that Bubble was kinda fight Blossom for him well it was a school play and which Bubble was the lead female meaning the guy get to kiss her in the play that make Blossom jealous.) Seriously, this is fanfic in animated form!

Before you quote me if another show did a similar thing as in the writer/ creator insert him or herself as the focus character of the episode, I can't think of one at the moment. Every other writer/ cretor were just cameo at best.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Igor-Rowan said:
Okay, I calmed down, I saw the post already. And I will admit the thought of it being for the lols did cross my mind, but I saw that Phantom of the Opera parody, then I did not think twice.

I better delete this before it causes more trouble.
Nah, even with the defense of the artist it's still funny, Thanks for sharing it with us.

Honestly in this case, had I stumbled across the connection first, creepy author self insert would have probably been my first guess too.

shrekfan246 said:
EternallyBored said:
its like none of them have ever seen bad fanfiction before.
I would hardly be surprised if a bunch of middle-aged show writers have no exposure to the depths of internet fanfiction.
If this were the 90's I would totally agree with you, but even middle aged people have practically grown up with the internet at this point, not that I expect everyone to be super savvy, but between pretty much every artist having their own Twitter and Tumblr, to the rise of fan conventions, I would expect even people in their 40's to at least be aware that some of this stuff exists.

Hell, the artist that defended the writer in the picture I posted has a Twitter and Tumblr full of lesbian Steven Universe fan art and other fan pictures that run the gamut, it's pretty clear she's deep into her own fandoms. The people that grew up in the early days of Fanfiction.net and Livejournal are in their 30's now. We are past the point where a lot of our professional artists and creators likely grew up writing shitty self insert fan fic and drawing their terrible anime or furry OCs. Like with comics, the inmates are running the asylum now.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
EternallyBored said:
If this were the 90's I would totally agree with you, but even middle aged people have practically grown up with the internet at this point, not that I expect everyone to be super savvy, but between pretty much every artist having their own Twitter and Tumblr, to the rise of fan conventions, I would expect even people in their 40's to at least be aware that some of this stuff exists.
Eh, there are still people my age (25) and younger who can barely work their way around an internet browser. It's becoming less common, sure, but it's still surprisingly common nonetheless.

Hell, the artist that defended the writer in the picture I posted has a Twitter and Tumblr full of lesbian Steven Universe fan art and other fan pictures that run the gamut, it's pretty clear she's deep into her own fandoms. The people that grew up in the early days of Fanfiction.net and Livejournal are in their 30's now. We are past the point where a lot of our professional artists and creators likely grew up writing shitty self insert fan fic and drawing their terrible anime or furry OCs. Like with comics, the inmates are running the asylum now.
I'm not denying the possibility, for the record, just stating that it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility. Hell, I personally only have a passing knowledge of shitty internet fanfics mostly because of cultural osmosis; the only one I've actually been directly exposed to is "My Immortal", and I didn't even actually read that one, just listened to someone else do a dramatic reading of it. Much like things such as Rule 34 (since you bring up lesbian Steven Universe stuff), it's not actually that difficult to avoid certain things on the internet. Moreover, even if you have knowledge that something exists, that hardly means you've actually seen it.

Bleugh, sorry, summer vacation has left me without any essays to get all pedantic in.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
And here i thought id be reading a thread about a Japanese writer doing that for one of his trashy light novels that got adapted to anime this or next season.

Not that im dissapointed to see /v/ leaking, but when it comes to this kind of shit shall we keep the 4chan on 4chan?

...and yes i know ive posted shit from /pol/ before but that was in relation to bullshit that already made headlines elsewhere, like the OK hand sign incident.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010

Could have at least gone for Buttercup.​

And that's about the extent of my thoughts on this.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Igor-Rowan said:
EternallyBored said:
Kolby Jack said:
Considering not everybody is gonna see that post that debunks it, it's unlikely. Besides, people were already giving the new show enormous amounts of crap for its writing and humor, so seeing the equivalent of fan-fiction writing making its way on television (especially for the lulz) is the cherry on top of this sundae.
My biggest concern is people harassing the guy. I don't watch the show at all because frankly it looks terrible, but this nerdy looking guy doesn't deserve the deluge of crap I feel is coming his way, given where this "investigation" began.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Man, you guys should have seen the shitstorm when /co/ realized his last name.
Kolby Jack said:
given where this "investigation" began.
The identity of the investigators does not discredit the evidence.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Leg End said:
Man, you guys should have seen the shitstorm when /co/ realized his last name.
Kolby Jack said:
given where this "investigation" began.
The identity of the investigators does not discredit the evidence.
I didn't say it did. The testimonial by someone else who worked on the show does, however. 4chan, festering breeding ground for unrepentant assholes that it is, only cares about humiliating someone over a misunderstanding.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Kolby Jack said:
I didn't say it did. The testimonial by someone else who worked on the show does, however. 4chan, festering breeding ground for unrepentant assholes that it is, only cares about humiliating someone over a misunderstanding.
Sounds like a cover-up to me. Such a joke might work for one episode, but every episode he's involved with?

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Wow, um, so that's creepy as fuck. Creepy in a (hopefully) harmless kinda way but still.

Feels like Bronyism cranked up to 11.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Kolby Jack said:
A cover-up. Really. Do you always assume the worst of people? Cuz you sound like a real prick.
I'm merely going by what I'm seeing. If it was once or twice, sure. But it's every episode where he is attached to the writing. If he wasn't writing, I could probably take it as a joke among the staff.

But episodes where he's the sole writer and not otherwise mentioned? That's more than a bit suspicious. I honestly don't even care if he is self-inserting with his waifu. He's living the dream if so and I almost can't fling crap at him for it. He's certainly managed to get away with it for a while.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Leg End said:
Kolby Jack said:
A cover-up. Really. Do you always assume the worst of people? Cuz you sound like a real prick.
I'm merely going by what I'm seeing. If it was once or twice, sure. But it's every episode where he is attached to the writing. If he wasn't writing, I could probably take it as a joke among the staff.

But episodes where he's the sole writer and not otherwise mentioned? That's more than a bit suspicious. I honestly don't even care if he is self-inserting with his waifu. He's living the dream if so and I almost can't fling crap at him for it. He's certainly managed to get away with it for a while.
Except that's a lie, and why the fuck are you people forcing me to google this awful show and defend someone that honestly isn't that good of a writer. The stupid character shows up in two of three episodes where Goldman is not credited, in season 2, in season one this is also not exactly some revelation as he seems to be on the writing credit for almost every single episode in the season so the guy wrote or co wrote almost every episode in the season including the bulk that don't feature this character at all.

There is also a discrepancy between Wikipedia and the Powerpuff Girls wiki with Wikipedia listing him on literally almost every episode in season 1 and 2 whereas the PPG wiki does not include him on a number of episodes that he seems to be included in on Wikipedia. if we go by Wikipedia then your point is meaningless because he has a writer credit or additional credit in parentheses on pretty much every episode that has aired of the reboot. If we go by the PPG wiki then you're still wrong because there are episodes with this character where his name does not appear.

Also if we are going to push conspiracy theories, what's more likely, that a writer is covering for a former coworker she storyboarded for that she doesn't even seem to work with anymore, or that 4chan fucked with the wiki entries and either couldn't or didn't know about the PPG wiki.

So how about that Samurai Jack finale? Had some flaws but overall I think it was a satisfying send off for the series.

EDIT: let me be clear on Wikipedia he is literally given a writers credit for every single episode of season one that I can see, and is only off the credit for two episodes in season 2 so yeah, no shit the character pops up with him as the writer as he he seems to have written or co-written or whatever the hell (additional) means every damn episode in the reboot.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
EternallyBored said:
Also if we are going to push conspiracy theories, what's more likely, that a writer is covering for a former coworker she storyboarded for that she doesn't even seem to work with anymore, or that 4chan fucked with the wiki entries and either couldn't or didn't know about the PPG wiki.
They got the credits straight from the wiki in the image. Also I'm voting the former. But I guess the only surefire way is to watch the episodes and look for the credited writers. If it was vandalism, at least they didn't add parenthesis.
So how about that Samurai Jack finale? Had some flaws but overall I think it was a satisfying send off for the series.
Aku found a way to cuck Jack one last time. Bravo Genndy.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Leg End said:
EternallyBored said:
They got the credits straight from the wiki in the image. Also I'm voting the former. But I guess the only surefire way is to watch the episodes and look for the credited writers. If it was vandalism, at least they didn't add parenthesis.
Aku found a way to cuck Jack one last time. Bravo Genndy.
What is the point of getting the credits from the wiki if they can easily alter it before making their little collage, I got my info from the wiki too as well as the PPG wiki and that seems to contradict their image, your point is also still factually wrong as the man has written every single PPG episode bar 2 in season 2 one of which even Wikipedia doesn't include him as a writer and featureS the OC in question, conveniently left out of the 4chan image of course.

Unless their vandalism was the (additional) which means they did add parentheses in which case at least they didn't add ((())).

As for the spoiler, I laughed, so thanks for that