Pratchett Attacks Doctor Who

Valksy

Nov 5, 2009
Doctor Who is the ultimate deus ex machina and always has been for the last 40 years or so and I am astonished that Terry Pratchett does not seem to know that.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I also think that Doctor Who is a bit crazy with its time period. I think that when you time-travel to a point in the future that's further ahead than the earliest known historical events are to the past, you're not really travelling to a year, you're traveling to a generic FUUUUTUUUUUREEEEEEE! Still, it's got plenty of charm to get a free ticket out of things like that, as Pratchett himself admits.

That said, I'm pretty sure if Pratchett actually attacked Doctor Who he would come out winner. Yes, with all of the doctors. Well, not at once.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Well I understand his frustration, especially in the latest episodes, some elements are illogical, for instance:
if you're hunting an angel whose only weakness is that it stops when being seen, why on Earth would you bring plenty of guns and only a handful of torchlight instead of bringing tons of spotlight and strapping yourself with thousands of tiny creatures with eyes so that even if you're not looking, something else is looking at the angel(s) at all time ?

On another note, I find it sadly ironic how
in the 1996 movie's commentary, they describe the tiny 2 seconds kiss as being their main regret about the movie's story whereas in the new series, he frenched all of his companions and several other characters too.

Still gonna continue watching though :)

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
LANCE420 said:
I'm sorry, BSG is a good Sci-Fi show. Dr. Who was decent when they had the first and second actor Mr. blah bleedle and frank tagwhoever and only three dumb earth bimbos following him
But what are they on now? the 11th Who and the billionth bimbo? Want soft sci? Go with a good stable one, like Lexx or Farscape.

Some shows need to know when it's time to die.
Opinion isn't fact, saying something IS good (and yes I like BSG) doesn't make it so, same with Doctor who. You think it needs to die, I think the opposite.

It's fun for me, it's not too preachy and up it's own ass with constant moral dilemmas and such.

As long as people watch a show, it has no need to die. I liked Farscape, didn't like Lexx so much, but they are a different form of science fiction, with different kinds of stories.

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
AboveUp said:
Blimey said:
Is he fucking serious?

He makes his living writing fantasy novels, with clairvoyants, magic, and all that shit.

And yet he calls out Doctor Who?

What a lunatic.
Actually he writes a fantasy series in which systematically magic is being replaced with magicky science and structure and doing a fairly good job at it. It's amazing how much he tries to avoid having magic being an answer for things and even when he does he still tends to end it in the least magical way possible.

With the exception of the first 10 books or so. Although one of those books ended up with a Dragon being arrested by the city watch and having its rights read to it.
Good Point Made here ^. Also, If you read "The Science of Discworld" You will learn ALOT about how both discworld and "roundworld" (aka earth) Works. It kinda does a chapter of story set in the fictional world and then the next chapter more or less explaining why and how it happens, and the why and how of how our real-world equivalent works.

Also, Commander Vimes was just doing his job, Its nice to see The watch pulled out of decline :D

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Here's my thing. He's not wrong - Dr. Who relies on the "magic wand" solution rather a lot. My point is....so bloody what? So long as the stories are still fun, who cares if the solutions to problems is a bit whizbangy? Just because it's sci fi, that doesn't mean it has to have basis in genuine science.

I mean, come on, the TARDIS has a pool for crying out loud. Are we really going to get upset at a bit of deus ex machina?

Now, if you want to say that such methods diminish the storytelling, that's a whole other discussion, and one that I think has some merit. But to say that the show is doing something wrong by, for example, whisking Martha's hospital to the moon...who cares that it's a silly set up? It made for a fun episode, didn't it?
This reminds me of my dad's opinion on Star Wars. He says that while Star Wars may be entertaining, it's not really scientific in its "sci-fi"ness in the way that many books he likes are. Many things in Star Wars have little relation to real world technology, whereas the things my dad likes tend to be more speculative science fiction, wherethe cool technology is based on modern theory.

If anyone has grounds to complain about the writing/storytelling of Dr. Who, I'd say Terry Pratchett qualifies. He may write silly fantasy novels, but at least his fictional universe is fairly consistent to its own rules. Dr. Who seems to bend and shift from episode to episode, just so they can fit something into the story.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
The funny thing about this scrap of criticism is that Pratchett probably can leave his brain on a hook at the door. Yet he's the one complaining about having to do it. Yes, Doctor Who is pure entertainment. It is not a story of "functional magic" as TV Tropes might call it, but rather a series of excuses for the things that occur. However, these excuses are completely justified within the Doctor Who universe. The show is just a rare example of a fictional world where the protagonist is, quite literally, capable of anything.

Now, for Pratchett this might come across as a bit of a case of "Boring Invincible Hero", to evoke another trope, but the Doctor's limits are there in the show, they're just not in the technology, but rather in his ideas. Yes, the Doctor is a genius. He's lived for more than nine hundred years and still has a youthful mind and a spring in his step. The drawback of this is his insanity, which seems to be, ironically enough, the thing that Pratchett's missed in his comments or his frustration.

The Doctor's flaw is in his ideas. The Doctor Who series has always cast humans as a kind of "creative" species, made for dealing very well with emergency situations. This is why the Doctor needs a human companion, and on the occasion where he has none he often ends up in hot water - they fill in the massive hole in his problem-solving. That is, common sense, which is something most mad geniuses don't have.

Every episode of the modern series, in one way or another, exploits this limitation of ideas to propose a challenge to the Doctor and create much of the tension. Yes, he usually wins, but not without help. And it is that limit that you have to look for to see the show's real depth, which is a bit more subtle than the Doctor's antics and all the superficial technological wonders that are just there to be cool.

Doctor Who takes a leaf from Shakespeare's book in the sense that its themes are more universal than specific to the setting, and it is that which makes it different from most sci-fi. The best of sci-fi often investigates "special themes" of the future, which humans do not have to deal with in the current era. Doctor Who shares more in common with "low media" in that it is about looking at human pain, the struggle, and whether the Doctor likes this or not, the concepts of "good" and "evil" (something we've seen in films like Lord of the Rings). But not all sci-fi has to be high culture, and not all of it has to look into strange and alienating themes.

Doctor Who is a show about humanity, even if the central character is an alien, and in this way it has great value. It should not be discounted as a science fiction story simply because it has more common, modern themes than futuristic ones - the science fiction is there, but simply used as a backdrop and framework for the classical challenge. The Doctor uses science to solve problems, not magic, so we cannot class it as fantasy. That would simply please Pratchett's ego rather than solve the debate or be fair to the show, which remains a brilliant example of good television.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
My problem with this series is that Moffat's writing is aimed at 12 year olds and so the acting and directing goes that way too, there's no subtlty anymore, nothing to think about, everything's too obvious and predictable

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I kind of like Doctor Who, though there are always lots of nagging little things that irritate me. I'm disappointed by the amount of running around that goes on in every episode. Tennant's doctor seriously got on my nerves with his continuous farting around and goofy behaviour. His and Billie Piper's on-screen grab assery was nearly intolerable.

Then there are the serious bouts of cheesiness with hamper otherwise excellent episodes. I watched the first episode of the new series the other day. I really liked the new doctor, even if he looks like he should be in an indy band. I liked the plot too. Heck, I even liked the sidekick. But then it ends on some seriously cheesy moment where Dr Who berates a giant space eye. It was shit. The alien looked shit, the Doctor was talking shit. That scene was utter shit.

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
...Has this guy ever watched sci-fi? They've been doing those things since the original star trek.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
So we have the Escapist reporting on an article in the Guardian reporting on an article in SFX reporting on the opinions of an author with early onset senile dementia. Okay, just roll with it...

"[A] god from the machine is what the Doctor now is,"
And has always been.

and saying that it "breaks most of the laws of narrative".
Sometimes when you break those old laws, you get something innovative.

"A decent detective story provides you with enough tantalizing information to allow you to make a stab at a solution before the famous detective struts his stuff in the library."
The Doctor is not a detective. I'd go out on a limb and say he's more like a superhero. But with a cursory glance at any Doctor Who fan forum you would see no end to the number of fans making stabs at the solutions to both specific cliffhangers and more general questions about the mythology of the Doctor.

And there was a nice bit in the otherwise dismal episode a couple of weeks ago...
when he suddenly realises, quite late, that since the alien race that used to live on this planet had two heads... why do their statues have just the one head each? OMG weeping angels! The fact that they had had two heads had been introduced minutes before that, so a sharp-witted viewer might have spotted the inconsistency before the Doctor did.

"Doctor Who replaces this with speed, fast talking, and what appears to be that wonderful element 'makeitupasyougalongeum'."
Yep, even the most die-hard fan is frequently frustrated by the overuse of that particular narrative device.

"I just wish that it was not classified as science fiction," he added.
Luckily for you, Terry, it's not.

Pratchett did admit that he still watched the show however, despite his grievances: "[it's] pure professionally-written entertainment, even if it helps sometimes if you leave your brain on a hook by the door ... I might shout at the screen again, but I will be watching on Saturday," he admitted. "After all, when you've had your moan you have to admit that it is very, very entertaining, with its heart in the right place, even if its head is often in orbit around Jupiter."
So basically, "ignore everything I just said; Doctor Who is great and so what if the Doctor is a deus ex machina?"

vortexgods

Apr 24, 2008
veloper said:
Acidwell said:
veloper said:
Doctor who is science fiction, it has other planets, aliens, space-ships and advanced technology. A basis in science fact or hypothesis is not what makes something science fiction because then you wouldn't count the work of H.G. Wells or Philip K. Dick as science fiction even though they are widely recognised as being some of the leading writers in the genre. A basis in fact only determines if it is hard or soft sf.
No, H.G. Wells based his sci-fi novels on the backward scientific theories of his time (like space travel by cannon) and you cannot accuse blade runner of being inconsistent or too far-fetched.
Space travel by cannon is completely feasible. The whole thing is just increasing something's speed to where it will achieve escape velocity. [a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Bull"]Gerard Bull[/a] was working on such a cannon for much of his life.

Now, if you are talking interstellar travel, well, we don't know how to do that with rockets either. Interplanetary travel would probably be somewhat more difficult with cannons than with rockets but it should be possible.

vortexgods

Apr 24, 2008
wildpeaks said:
Well I understand his frustration, especially in the latest episodes, some elements are illogical, for instance:
if you're hunting an angel whose only weakness is that it stops when being seen, why on Earth would you bring plenty of guns and only a handful of torchlight instead of bringing tons of spotlight and strapping yourself with thousands of tiny creatures with eyes so that even if you're not looking, something else is looking at the angel(s) at all time ?

On another note, I find it sadly ironic how
in the 1996 movie's commentary, they describe the tiny 2 seconds kiss as being their main regret about the movie's story whereas in the new series, he frenched all of his companions and several other characters too.

Still gonna continue watching though :)
Remember they did think it was just the one angel in the beginning of the episode, though

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
No doubt Pratchett. But it allows them to spin some entertaining stories right? You said it yourself.

I died alittle inside when I realized there is no sound in space. No more pew-pew.

Nov 28, 2007
Spaceman_Spiff said:
Sylocat said:
The solution is obvious: Terry Pratchett should write an episode for the new series, and show us all how it's done.
Exactly, in fact since Neil Gaiman is doing one too, I'd love to see a Good Omens sequel set to the backdrop of Doctor Who.
Wait, Neil Gaiman is doing an episode of Doctor Who? The same Neil Gaiman responsible for The Sandman and the Neverwhere books? ...Excuse me while I change my pants.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
For the most part I agree, and think that simply because he writes fantasy books doesn't mean he's not allowed to have an opinion on the ridiculousness of other's writing.

Susan Arendt said:
Now, if you want to say that such methods diminish the storytelling, that's a whole other discussion, and one that I think has some merit. But to say that the show is doing something wrong by, for example, whisking Martha's hospital to the moon...who cares that it's a silly set up? It made for a fun episode, didn't it?
Logan Westbrook said:
Discworld creator Terry Pratchett has taken umbrage at the storytelling of Doctor Who, calling it "ludicrous", and saying that it "breaks most of the laws of narrative".

Pratchett did admit that he still watched the show however, despite his grievances: "[it's]pure professionally-written entertainment, even if it helps sometimes if you leave your brain on a hook by the door ... I might shout at the screen again, but I will be watching on Saturday," he admitted. "After all, when you've had your moan you have to admit that it is very, very entertaining, with its heart in the right place, even if its head is often in orbit around Jupiter."
*cough cough*

[small]Please don't ban me[/small]

Aug 31, 2009
If you compare his original blog on http://www.sfx.co.uk/2010/05/03/guest-blog-terry-pratchett-on-doctor-who/ to the Guardian article you can see it's carefully edited to leave out quite a few of the good things Terry has to say about Dr. Who.

Also if you take into account the fact that he's guest editor for SFX this month it's not random that's he commenting on Britain's hottest sci-fi(?) program. It's in no way as if he's suddenly taking a poke in the press.

P.S: When the late great Douglas Adams (who used to write for Dr. Who) had aliens move a building to a desolate planet he had it crash there properly.

Baggie

Sep 3, 2009
I have to go with Pratchett on this one, I regularly shout at the screen when I watch it. I mean it's still fun, but it irks me how they first point out the holes in the science and then cover them up with either an explanation that doesn't work or an explanation that you wouldn't understand what's behind it.

LANCE420

Dec 23, 2008
chozo_hybrid said:
LANCE420 said:
I'm sorry, BSG is a good Sci-Fi show. Dr. Who was decent when they had the first and second actor Mr. blah bleedle and frank tagwhoever and only three dumb earth bimbos following him
But what are they on now? the 11th Who and the billionth bimbo? Want soft sci? Go with a good stable one, like Lexx or Farscape.

Some shows need to know when it's time to die.
Opinion isn't fact, saying something IS good (and yes I like BSG) doesn't make it so, same with Doctor who. You think it needs to die, I think the opposite.

It's fun for me, it's not too preachy and up it's own ass with constant moral dilemmas and such.

As long as people watch a show, it has no need to die. I liked Farscape, didn't like Lexx so much, but they are a different form of science fiction, with different kinds of stories.
Your right that opinions aren't fact, but I never made the distinction.

I disagree, Lexx, Farscape, and Doctor Who all fall into the same category. Think about it, the shows are the same, but the characters and premises are different. They all explore different planets, each with it's own antagonist. I stated that it should go from my own artistic standpoint. If I was the intellectual owner of Doctor Who, it would have had three seasons and the first movie. After that, it's time for a new direction. Especially since the story seemed to close on the movie.

Count_Zer0

Apr 12, 2010
I think TP has a point. Ive felt, particularly in the more recent episodes, the Doctor has become a sort of all purpose Deux et Machina for whatever problems arise. Im getting a little tired of the Doctor facing up the alien challenge of the day and telling them that he is the last of his race and that the aliens had better watch out because he is a time lord and will kick their arse to last tuesday because he has done it a thousand times before. A little humility and vulnerability would add a bit more drama to to the series. Im also a bit tired of magic TARDIS golden fairy dust saving the day at the last moment. Its getting to be the equivalent of the time travel/alternate reality story-lines in Star Trek.

That being said I still love the series, that doesn't mean it couldn't be improved a little. Im also an avid reader of Pratchett.