Precocious Kid Nails "Sovngarde Song"

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Precocious Kid Nails "Sovngarde Song"

You've heard our own Miracle of Sound's Skyrim-inspired "Sovngarde Song," now watch a kid one-up the original with only a piano.

Okay, maybe that's not fair. I'm no Lester Bangs, so none of my professional credentials allow me to comment on the technical quality of either the original version of "Sovngarde Song" or the adaptation you can see in the video embedded at right. That said, I do know what I like, and the kid in that video (nom de YouTube "ChoskerChulian") has some skills when it comes to tickling the ivories.

This being a democratic medium however, you don't have to take my word for it. Instead you can click through to the original [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/miracle-of-sound/5117-Sovngarde-Song-Skyrim], created as part of The Escapist's ongoing Miracle of Sound feature and absorb the lilting yet epic tune alongside imagery from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Then, once the five-minute video comes to an end, return here and compare that aural experience to the young gentleman's piano rendition above.

Well? Go ahead. I'll wait.

So? What say you? If you want to argue that technically the Miracle of Sound version is superior, I won't stop you. That version has the benefit of professional recording equipment and, presumably, musicians who have finished puberty.

That aside though, the kid has chops!

No, hush! I don't care to hear any more of your arguments. I'm right and you're wrong. Unless you agree with me, then you're also right. And probably attractive and wildly intelligent. Congratulations on being so awesome.

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
That was impressive! Kudos to you :)

The song's not been out for a week yet and he's got it memorised and adapted.
I had Gavin singing along in my head to it.

Good job.

InsomniJack

Dec 4, 2009
Well, this guy's got one advantage over the original:

He's not singing.

Other than that, it's rather cool that he could make an otherwise rocking song into his own cover. It usually doesn't work well for others, so... yeah. Good stuff.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
That aside though, the kid has chops!

No, hush! I don't care to hear any more of your arguments. I'm right and you're wrong. Unless you agree with me, then you're also right. And probably attractive and wildly intelligent. Congratulations on being so awesome.
This was perhaps the most awesome thing I have read all day. Indeed, I am awesome. Thank you for recognizing it. Almost as awesome as you, in fact.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Ah, he did a good job. Quite impressed by his cover.
[sub]Of course I still like Gavin's original better but that's not the point.[/sub]

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Yes, the kid is awesome. But I have seen a lot of these kinds of movies posted on YouTube. So, nothing special, but still awesome.

Also, I summon thee to my command to counter this song:

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
It's pretty good, though I do prefer the original.

I also have the 4 disc official Skyrim soundtrack. Between that and all the other Skyrim inspired music I've been listening to, I've barely listened to any Christmas music this year and I don't care.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I think I like this version for the first half and Gavin's for the second (more rock) half.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
This is song is so... So...

[small]*sniff* Why can't I stop crying? D':[/small]

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Eh. He's good, but nowhere near the original or other piano covers. Maybe in a few years we'll be getting some serious shit from him.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Beautiful song, still prefer the original, sorry Earnest.

This guy could certainly use a good vocalist, like this girl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z9TdDCWN7g

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
It's impressive enough, certainly. But there were tempo changes, he hit a wrong note a fair few times, I'm not sure if it was ever intentional or not though... Anyway, seems like he needed a bit more practice before recording a video. Kid has talent, I'll give him that.
I still prefer Gavin's version.
4RM3D said:
Yes, the kid is awesome. But I have seen a lot of these kinds of movies posted on YouTube. So, nothing special, but still awesome.

Also, I summon thee to my command to counter this song:

That guy is incredible, although I prefer his "Cruel Angel Thesis".

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
clever boy

Tip of the hat
(Kudos for just learning it in under a week with no sheet music)

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
I realy like pianos, and he plays well. I just don't like the extra notes he throws in. Although without them it may end up sounding like something was missing...

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
So? What say you? If you want to argue that technically the Miracle of Sound version is superior, I won't stop you. That version has the benefit of professional recording equipment and, presumably, musicians who have finished puberty.
Actually I have neither musicians nor professional recording equipment at my disposal ;)

I recorded Sovngarde song by myself on my laptop.

My studio is very humble and I do it all myself. Just clearing that up, lol.

EDIT: Also, this kid did an awesome version of Commander Shepard too... he has got a lot of talent :)