Predictive Text Error Leads to Fatal Stabbing

8bitlove2a03

Mar 25, 2010
I hate it when people in the media report things like this [http://www.cracked.com/article_18982_5-terrifying-online-trends-invented-by-news-media.html] without including any information about the prior relationship of individuals involved, or any possibilities of what else could have led into the violence. And there is obviously more to this story, since the guy was convicted for manslaughter instead of murder. Nothing in the article explains that. How about some of the relevant facts, instead of "some technology hereand nothing else is the cause of violent act here"?

I expect better from you Escapist.

lvl9000_woot

Oct 30, 2009
Baresark said:
Haha, lets blame the texts on the situation, not the two artards involved, HAHA.
Really.

"...leading to an exchange of increasingly heated and hostile messages..."
Anytime from the mix-up to the final message this could've been resolved in a non-violent manner(probably)

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
It seems to me that this would have happened anyway, regardless of predictive text. I mean, most people don't try to kill someone they've known for 6 months over ONE little, harmless word.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Yikes. Glad I have a full-size keyboard on my cell phone. Note to self, "Entry method is not perfect."

But while saying "Autocorrect Causes Death" certainly makes for a funny headline, this is a clear-cut case of people not being able to correct a minor misunderstanding. Sounds like someone needs to chill out.

Jack Macaque

Jan 29, 2011
Can't really blame technology lol I mean if I sent that I would right away text back saying sorry I meant this instead, these guys were obviously just goofs.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
What is with this predictive software anyway? Why is it when you try to type "McDonald's" it thinks you're trying to say "madmockes" which isn't even a word?

robandall

Jan 25, 2010
Verex said:
I think the guy would have killed him either way.
Exactly. I'd have preferred to be called a nutter than a mutter anyway. Not sure how Brook got away with murder after he chased the guy upstairs.