President Obama Asks for Research Into Game Violence

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
cerebus23 said:
17 trillion in debt, social security and medicare going bankrupt to the tune of 4 or 5 trillion dollars, the midwest aquifer going bone dry in the next 30 years, and our government printing money like it is paper, which is darn close to being.

but spending money to study video games and to ban guns that are already illegal in this nation. yep yep we sure do have our priorities straight.
Umm sorry to burst your insane little bubble but Obama is not trying to ban anything that is already illegal. The assault rifle ban wore off sometime around 2004 and it has been legal to buy them every since. Obama wants to reintroduce the ban as well as limit magazine capacity and other much needed regulations. A lot of the regulations he is trying to introduce and very much needed to help reduce violent crimes and limit access to firearms.

MrHide-Patten said:
How many times have they done this "research" to only end up with pointless information that sets them straight back at square one? If you want to resolve gun violence, do something about the guns.
The thing is it cant be done. Due to the American constitution they really cant do anything meaningful about guns. There only solution is to wait it out until all the gun nuts kill each other off.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
The problem with this issue is that no one will ever believe a result that doesn't support their worldview... like any "study" on a controversial topic ever. Gamers will never believe, even if all the government and independent studies showed it that their favorite toy has any long-lasting effect on mental health (I'm not saying they do, I'm just saying it as a hypothetical). Conversely, people who are dead set on blaming games will never believe any study that says the opposite, that they have no effect.

As far as I know, there is no real serious push to ban such video games, only to stop the sale of them to minors (which is already done by the industry for the most part). As far as I'm concerned, a push to decrease the number of boring gritty unrealistic "realistic" military shooters is just fine with me. Hell, I'd be fine with fantasy games that have me killing monsters instead of killing hundreds of bandits/"bad guys" that end up being 100x the non-bad guy population. Video games before Half-Life weren't so bad were they?

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
You know, I'm actually kind of happy about this. Up until now basically all the studies have been done by groups with an agenda, so it'll be nice to have one done by someone that's A) Somewhat neutral, and B) Actually has some authority.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
If violent video games do have a direct correlation between them and violent behavior than violent crimes would be up dramatically concideing with their explosion on the gaming scene, since violent crimes are actually markedly down doing the increase of popularity of the fps shooter, there clearly is zero link between video games and violent behavior, in so much that they cause people to behave psychotically.

lets get over it. and if any parent or grandparent buys into this b.s. please for the love of god remind them what their politicans and media did to their rock and roll, and jazz music, and movies, and books, because psychos suprise read and do stuff within society and like some things.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
The problem with this, is that there is absolutely no guarantee it will be non-biased.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Good, damn near every study into the subject has had some sort of flaw which prevented it from being widely accepted. The most common problems were clear study bias, inconclusive results, and flawed methodology. If we can finally prove this conclusively, then maybe we can finally stop using games as a scapegoat (I said maybe, not likely).

Your Gaffer

Oct 10, 2012
Its not about video games, its about studying gun violence.

The mention of video games is just a political thing.

Yellowbeard

Nov 2, 2010
EGtodd09 said:
Assault rifles ban should be completely unquestioned, assault rifles were designed as an ultimate all purpose killing machine and citizens (or police really) shouldn't have access to them. The video game violence research will definitely be unbiased because they don't have an agenda, they don't want either outcome (proving or disproving a link) they only want look into it. Don't know about those universal background checks though...
On the contrary, an "assault" rifle ban is the most questionable part. If it were focused on things like magazine capacity and rate of fire it would make sense, but the definition of what is or isn't an "assault rifle/weapon" always ends up being a box-ticking exercise of irrelevant details like bayonet lugs (is there a bayonetting problem that needs to be addressed?), flash hiders (are mass-murderers going to be deterred or stopped by impairing their night vision) and pistol grips (??).

The result is to waste everyone's time and money fucking with people who own rifles that look scary or have military pedigree, but ignore countless other weapons with almost identical capabilities.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Cade Aponte said:
Science has repeatedly shown that video games do not contribute in any non-trivial way to real violence. This shouldn't worry any gamer.
You know what worries me? That decisions will be made despite science.

But more to the point, that elected officials are spending money on this while there is a Congressional ban on research into firearms of almost any kind. What research is done on the government dime cannot be publicised, ostensibly because they don't want to prejudice people against firearms with facts or statistics.

This is not a healthy response.

Raine_sage

Sep 13, 2011
Fappy said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Fappy said:
I really wish our elected officials didn't throw our money around like this -_-
Then what would they waste it on?
Education? Healthcare? Disaster relief?
I think we need to fix the education system before we dump more money into it :(

Though, I suppose you'd need to dump money into it to fix it. Conundrum!

j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Assault weapons ban? Fucking finally....

Fappy said:
I really wish our elected officials didn't throw our money around like this -_-
Into funding actual research into the psychological effects of violent videogames, without resorting to hysterical bullshit and preconceived biases? This to me sounds like Obama and Biden are keeping as open a mind as it is possible to in the current situation, and for that at least, they should be applauded. If this were the Republicans in charge, they wouldn't even have bothered with research, they'd have just gone straight into the blame game.
Just because someone else would have handled the situation worse doesn't make them anymore right. It's just politics. They're doing it to look good. None of them actually give a fuck about what the research will find.

EDIT: More to the point they are trying to take some heat off of the gun supporters because they're pissing too many people off. Research like this also improves the parent vote. Think of the children!
Ah, correct me if I'm wrong though but Obama is already serving his second term. So no matter what he does he's not going to stay in the white house. He's only got eight years and next election he's used them up. Really he doesn't have to worry about votes anymore. He could go tap dance on the Lincoln memorial and nobody would care. Unless he does something so illegal as to be impeached for it he's fine.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
It disappoints me that anyone on this site would be opposed to a fair and in-depth study of our hobby and passion. Why? The only reason you have to be against this is if you believe, deep down, that the naysayers have a point. I don't. I know that the games I play don't make me violent, because I'm not a violent person at all, I abhor violence and the only times I've ever employed it was in self-defense.

I welcome with open arms a study into violent games, as I would welcome further studies on pretty much any subject. Knowing more about anything is never a bad thing. Ignorance on the other hand, especially willful ignorance, is inexcusable.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Cade Aponte said:
Science has repeatedly shown that video games do not contribute in any non-trivial way to real violence. This shouldn't worry any gamer.
Science has a habit of being twisted or ignored when politics are involved. Piltdown comes to mind.

EGtodd09

Oct 20, 2010
Yellowbeard said:
EGtodd09 said:
Assault rifles ban should be completely unquestioned, assault rifles were designed as an ultimate all purpose killing machine and citizens (or police really) shouldn't have access to them. The video game violence research will definitely be unbiased because they don't have an agenda, they don't want either outcome (proving or disproving a link) they only want look into it. Don't know about those universal background checks though...
On the contrary, an "assault" rifle ban is the most questionable part. If it were focused on things like magazine capacity and rate of fire it would make sense, but the definition of what is or isn't an "assault rifle/weapon" always ends up being a box-ticking exercise of irrelevant details like bayonet lugs (is there a bayonetting problem that needs to be addressed?), flash hiders (are mass-murderers going to be deterred or stopped by impairing their night vision) and pistol grips (??).

The result is to waste everyone's time and money fucking with people who own rifles that look scary or have military pedigree, but ignore countless other weapons with almost identical capabilities.
Oh you're actually quite right. Did a quick google and found that there is a difference between "assault rifles" and "assault weapons" - assault rifles being the all purpose killing machines and assault weapons being a political term based those arbitrary things you mentioned like bayonet lugs. Jesus, America - y u so silly?

Edible Avatar

Oct 26, 2011
Fun Fact: Any federal scientific research that contradicts the administration's viewpoints is able to be censored by the government. Examples?

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Scientists-claim-censorship-by-federal-agency-185955052.html
http://environment.about.com/od/environmentallawpolicy/a/censorship_clim.htm

If someone on either side of the political spectrum pushes for research into violent gaming for their (lobby's) own benefit, you can bet there will be a bias.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So Obama thinks that research in game violence, which so far to any aty least a bit consistent research proven to have no corelation will remove gun violence how?

JonB said:
"I will direct the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) to go ahead and study the best ways to reduce [gun violence].
wait, so your treating gun violence as a disease? because otherwise CDC has nothing to do here.

"We don't benefit from ignorance. We don't benefit from not knowing the science on this epidemic of violence."
oh, so he is treating it as a disease. touche, mr. president, touche.

And yet, somehow, Obama still manages to make me a fan. Is this like the euphoria Hitler induced to the crowd or what? \
Then again, i may just be comparing it to the alternative, which is far far worse.

Fuzzed

Dec 27, 2012
[1 Year Later and after 500 million dollars of invested research] We have finally figured out that the most efficient way to reduce gun violence is.....no more late night TV dinners.

bravetoaster

Oct 7, 2009
Ticonderoga117 said:
Why are we even researching this? I've been playing violent video games and watching violent movies since I was 5. 17 years later after being exposed to the same, I haven't committed one violent crime. Period. I am also not desensitized to violence, or at least dead people. One time my summer job involved going to the Medical Examiner's and they had a dead guy out for an autopsy. I felt sick and I most defiantly did not want to be anywhere near that.

Now, to expand from the personal story. How many people buy violent video games? A lot. How many tragic shootings are there? Not nearly as many.
If you're actually interested in a serious answer, then I'll gladly try to field it for you.

First off, you appear to be offering anecdotal evidence against a claim that "playing violent video games causes people to become violent". No reasonable person is making that claim, though, or believes that playing video games will suddenly transform you into a murderer, and everyone can safely ignore such unscientific, ungrounded claims.

The actual questions are more like "can/do violent video games (or other violent media) contribute to actual violence (and, if so, how/why/when)?" That's a big question and appropriately complex for the issue. If graphic, fictional violence does actual harm, it's not going to be because a psychologically healthy man or woman played a modern shooter and decided to start murdering people. That's not even a potential issue. There is a very real possibility that exposure to or interaction with violent games PLUS several (many?) other factors (e.g., age, sex, hormones, overall mental health/specific psychiatric issues, developmental stage, family and social environment, etc.) may be harmful or, in some way, contribute to the development of someone who may end up being violent.

There's already a fair bit of research and case studies that suggest that one's experiences during various developmental stages can have a pretty profound impact on that person's life/behavior as an adult. We're not simple creatures and we are still a long way from understanding how our own brains work and why some people end up doing horrible things. This is something worth trying to understand.

there are much bigger worries than restricting what people can buy to use and defend themselves with and researching a non-issue.
A few final things:

1) There are always bigger worries. That's not a valid excuse for ignoring current issues, concerns, or worries. Just because we will all die and the human race may never survive beyond the Earth (and even if it does, you and I will be long dead by then) does not mean that you don't wake up in the morning or read news on the internet or talk to anyone or eat ever again. (...sorry if that's kind of grim.)

2) "what people can buy and use and defend themselves with" has always been restricted and should always be restricted (at least in a society governed by law/reason, rather than psychopaths bent on self-destruction). For American civilian self-defense, no one needs access to nuclear weapons, chemical/biological weapons, explosives/weapons that propel explosives, sniper rifles, machine guns, or assault rifles. You're welcome to think otherwise--I can't stop you from being wrong.

3) "researching a non-issue" -- I realize that this bit may simply be related to the premise you seemed to be coming in with, but it's worth repeating that (especially for the real question--see above) we don't know if something's a non-issue without actual research. That's how science works. It's slow and can seem tedious, but it's the best tool we've got for understanding the world and reality.

Giyguy

May 3, 2011
ooh, boy, here we go.

it's already been researched to death and from the studies that were actually trustworthy and not from some group who likes to demonize games, results show that there is no way that violent video games contribute to violence.

I think Obama's a bit behind on the subject, no offense.

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
Well the obvious evidence is that games are vastly more widespread than 10 years ago, and crime rates are much lower now. Note that i don't know about the US, maybe they're a bunch of crazies, but in the UK there's definitely not been anything but a decrease in crime.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
Falsename said:
That Call of Duty game where you gun down civilians.... Rate it R18. The only reason they didn't was because the younger generation was the target audience.

snip

And would harsher rating on video games really be a bad thing? I know that when I finally have kids (some fifteen years from now :p..... that makes me 20!) I don't want my children playing a game where they stick their thumb into a victim's bullet hole (Far Cry 3) or watch a man's eye be pulled out with a corkscrew (Call of Duty) or place glass in a man's mouth and punch him (Call of Duty Again).
Actually, the reason publishers are so afraid of their games being rated AO (the US equivalent of R18) is because all major retailers here (and Steam IIRC) refuse to carry AO games. If the next CoD game, for instance, was rated AO, the only way they could sell it in the US would be over the internet, which would drastically reduce sales and increase the publisher's workload on the sales they DID get.