Preview: Bulletstorm

Moeez

May 28, 2009
GrizzlerBorno said:
The thing is, If this game is supposed to be a self-consciously brain-dead, fuckfest.....WHY does it take so long to hook you? Why do i have to "stick with it" for 45 minutes, before the game gets good?

Is there REALLY that much exposition in this game then? Like, look at say, Mass Effect 2. That game is neck deep in exposition, but the hook that draws you in, lies literally SECONDS from the beginning of the game (50 if you don't faff about). Or is it really like Heavy Rain which has over an hour of boring shit that you have to wade through. And in that case, Wtf?
No, I think it's because it's changing the gameplay paradigm of shooters being: aim, shoot, grenade. The game is asking you for creativity, so it's a lot deeper than most shooters which are simple enough to be played by everyone (and therefore their huge sales in mainstream). If you do that in Bulletstorm, the game is boring and makes fun of you for it. So I can see why it took him an hour to get his bearings on how to properly play this shooter, compared to others.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Moeez said:
GrizzlerBorno said:
The thing is, If this game is supposed to be a self-consciously brain-dead, fuckfest.....WHY does it take so long to hook you? Why do i have to "stick with it" for 45 minutes, before the game gets good?

Is there REALLY that much exposition in this game then? Like, look at say, Mass Effect 2. That game is neck deep in exposition, but the hook that draws you in, lies literally SECONDS from the beginning of the game (50 if you don't faff about). Or is it really like Heavy Rain which has over an hour of boring shit that you have to wade through. And in that case, Wtf?
No, I think it's because it's changing the gameplay paradigm of shooters being: aim, shoot, grenade. The game is asking you for creativity, so it's a lot deeper than most shooters which are simple enough to be played by everyone (and therefore their huge sales in mainstream). If you do that in Bulletstorm, the game is boring and makes fun of you for it. So I can see why it took him an hour to get his bearings on how to properly play this shooter, compared to others.
While all that may be true it doesn't seem to be the problem Russ is voicing. It seems like he meant that the game literally takes 45 minutes to "get good" and you should stick through that intial stage of doubt inflicting drudgery, if you wanna see the good bit.

I dunno Maybe i read it wrong or whatever, but then again....why would it take Russ 45 minutes to get the hang of the game though? He's a gamer and this is still an FPS we're talking about, not a fucking Rocketship!

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
I got $20 on this game boiling down to "OMG (insert skill kill name) NOOB" spams in the chat room until the only way to kill is bunnyhopping and no-scoping for random shots.

What? This level of intricate detail in a kill system isn't going to be noticed by the kids looking to buy this game...The adults might get it...but who is the news going to go for first?

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Moeez said:
"Bulletsorm's single-player campaign takes about 10 hours..."

Wait, did you play the whole game or did the producers give you an estimate of the game length?
I played the whole thing. It took about 10 hours.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
GrizzlerBorno said:
Moeez said:
GrizzlerBorno said:

While all that may be true it doesn't seem to be the problem Russ is voicing. It seems like he meant that the game literally takes 45 minutes to "get good" and you should stick through that intial stage of doubt inflicting drudgery, if you wanna see the good bit.

I dunno Maybe i read it wrong or whatever, but then again....why would it take Russ 45 minutes to get the hang of the game though? He's a gamer and this is still an FPS we're talking about, not a fucking Rocketship!
After the first 45 minutes or so of build-up gameplay, Gray discovers a device called a "leash"

There you go.

Everyone who played the demo had the leash from the start, and it's pretty much the best initiator of combos and experimentation.

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
I am SO ready for this game to be out! It seems like every time I hear something about this game, it just gets me all the more excited! Agh! I can't wait! I need to kick a guy in the balls now!!

Chris Sandford

Nope, no title.
Apr 11, 2010
Onyxious said:
I feel the need, the need for rape.
hahahaha...I see what you did there.

ot: seriously cant stop playing that demo...might have a problem...cant stop castrating clones...

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
I'm so glad I pre-ordered this game. I could use a mindless blood and guts shooter.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Lorechaser said:
DeadlyYellow said:
Though the trailers I've seen made me happy. Not in the sense they were by any means enjoyable, but in the way that I finally got that true condescending feel of an adult watching a "kid's" video game.
"Then I stabbed him in the junk with a pitchfork, and leashed him off the bridge and got 1000 points for 'bourgeoisie uprising'"
lol, historic win. makes me wonder how the french revolutions would have gone if they had a point keeping device...... and plasma whips. that could be a spin-off in its own right now that i think about it.

seriously, somebody go make that. i want to play that now

saintchristopher

Goes "Ding" When There's Stuff.
Aug 14, 2009
-Samurai- said:
I'm so glad I pre-ordered this game. I could use a mindless blood and guts shooter.
I know what you mean. I'm really tired of all these of high-brow, tastefully suggestive art-house shooters that have flooded the market recently. It's as if The New Yorker has been the only one allowed to greenlight games lately.

/sarcasm

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
saintchristopher said:
Russ Pitts said:
Loud, dumb, obnoxious, and a hell of a lot of fun.
I'm usually all for not taking myself seriously, but I refuse to pay $60+ so that I can be called "dick-tits" by my television.

tl;dr: More like BullshitStorm, amirite?
10 bucks says someone says BullshitStorm in the game. ill almost be disappointed if they dont

saintchristopher

Goes "Ding" When There's Stuff.
Aug 14, 2009
Quazimofo said:
saintchristopher said:
10 bucks says someone says BullshitStorm in the game. ill almost be disappointed if they dont
If so it will completely reverse my opinion of this game.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
saintchristopher said:
Quazimofo said:
saintchristopher said:
If so it will completely reverse my opinion of this game.
i can just imagine that it would fit really well into the colorful vocabulary that the game has taken on. and considering the whole game is basically a joke why not make fun of itself ya know?

i really cant wait to find out when i buy this game. looks really fun.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
StriderShinryu said:
Russ Pitts said:
".. grabs you roughly from behind and whispers "wait - you'll see," then leaves you to wonder what comes next, an epiphany or an ass-raping."
This should so be on the back of the box. In fact, I'm pretty sure Cliffy B would agree.
I concur

also, his recent Tweet would be a great idea for Bulletstorm 2:
"I've got an idea. Player 2 operates the windshield wiper for P1 to keep the blood off of his screen."

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
saintchristopher said:
-Samurai- said:
I know what you mean. I'm really tired of all these of high-brow, tastefully suggestive art-house shooters that have flooded the market recently. It's as if The New Yorker has been the only one allowed to greenlight games lately.

/sarcasm
I know, right? All these realistic shooters are so different and totally not bland, that I have no problem telling them apart and could just enjoy them forever. If there's one thing I love, it's a game that takes itself super seriously.

What the hell was I thinking, looking for a fun game?

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
Preview: Bulletstorm

Loud, dumb, obnoxious, and a hell of a lot of fun.

Read Full Article
The skillshot for kicking an enemy into a crowd while strapped with explosives and detonating him is not "Homing Missile" as you have listed, it's "Homie Missile." A pun.

Nov 24, 2010
i remembered mad world, as i read the review. specially this "pull guy, then hit him against (?) spiked walls to get points.

yah. maybe they liked the game. hopefuly bulletstorm is more diversified. Mad world soon bored me.