Preview: Bulletstorm

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Moeez said:
GrizzlerBorno said:
Moeez said:
GrizzlerBorno said:
The thing is, If this game is supposed to be a self-consciously brain-dead, fuckfest.....WHY does it take so long to hook you? Why do i have to "stick with it" for 45 minutes, before the game gets good?

Is there REALLY that much exposition in this game then? Like, look at say, Mass Effect 2. That game is neck deep in exposition, but the hook that draws you in, lies literally SECONDS from the beginning of the game (50 if you don't faff about). Or is it really like Heavy Rain which has over an hour of boring shit that you have to wade through. And in that case, Wtf?
No, I think it's because it's changing the gameplay paradigm of shooters being: aim, shoot, grenade. The game is asking you for creativity, so it's a lot deeper than most shooters which are simple enough to be played by everyone (and therefore their huge sales in mainstream). If you do that in Bulletstorm, the game is boring and makes fun of you for it. So I can see why it took him an hour to get his bearings on how to properly play this shooter, compared to others.
While all that may be true it doesn't seem to be the problem Russ is voicing. It seems like he meant that the game literally takes 45 minutes to "get good" and you should stick through that intial stage of doubt inflicting drudgery, if you wanna see the good bit.

I dunno Maybe i read it wrong or whatever, but then again....why would it take Russ 45 minutes to get the hang of the game though? He's a gamer and this is still an FPS we're talking about, not a fucking Rocketship!
After the first 45 minutes or so of build-up gameplay, Gray discovers a device called a "leash"

There you go.

Everyone who played the demo had the leash from the start, and it's pretty much the best initiator of combos and experimentation.
OK that clears it up i guess.

I guess they make you wait for pacing reasons, but.... i can't help but wonder if that wasn't a mistake on EA's part considering no one really cares about the pacing of this game, like they would for say HalfLife2 (which made the 2 hour delay before getting the Gravity gun acceptable). I personally think they should've done: "Here's gun, Shoot; [5 mins later] Here's Leash, Go crazy."

But that's just my opinion.

mageroel

Jan 25, 2010
Russ Pitts said:
Preview: Bulletstorm

Loud, dumb, obnoxious, and a hell of a lot of fun.

Read Full Article
Found a spelling error, "Bulletsorm's single-player campaign..." Should be "Bulletstorm"