Preview: Fable 3

Buschmaki

Apr 16, 2009
The sanctuary seems like a good idea, but I am a sucker for anything fable related. What I really hope for is better clothing options like armor and not regular clothes.

oranger

May 27, 2008
The problem with doign away with menus entirely is that it trends towards simplification in all the aspects menus touch on (IE invisible war, bioshock, doom 3, others).

But the spell blending sounds terrific, perhaps THIS time it will be reasonable to be a mage?
Fable one's magic was diverse, but difficult to utilize and enhance, and fable 2's magic was stupid (summon undead FROGS?!) for the most part, time manipulation + guns notwithstanding.

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
This article sounds so positive and hopeful, but to me the idea of walking around a 3D sanctuary just to put on clothes and whatnot sounds like a clunky waste of time. And lumping all exp in guild seals? Does Lionhead really deserve a pat on the back for that? It's not exactly innovative, seeing as like 99% of games that are based on experience points only have one form of exp.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
Nothing about that menu system sounds appealing. Why would I want to run around inside an imaginary fort just to equip a different sword slightly shinier than the one that didn't stop the monster, currently in the act of pounding my face in, from doing so. If anyone knows about the xzibit meme this reminds me of that( Yo dawg I put walking around in yo walking around, so you can be bored while you're bored =D)

Also it's not the anticipation of the franchise's strengths that amplify the game's weaknesses. It's the fact that they tell you about all this cool crap they're going to put in and then don't deliver on half of it. Hell the stuff in Fable 2 is pretty much what they promised in Fable 1. And they still left stuff out of Fable 2. Does anybody else remember those videos of Molyneux playing Fable 2 and kicking baddies against a wall before impaling them with his sword ? Saying that there were going to be several "kill" moves such as that, each one being different based on the surrounding environment, and in the end it was just a generic finishing blow delivered to anyone laying on his back ? No ? Oh right I forgot about their wonderful PR department.

Psydney

Oct 29, 2009
Please say we don't have to stick to carrots, celery and tofu if we don't want our characters to be fat. Running for miles across open countryside, swinging heavy swords through the air, casting spell upon spell - I really can't have the occasional blueberry pie without turning into a blimp?

mwnrnc

Nov 23, 2009
I know it's Fable and all, but I was hoping the story would get some work. The mention in the article was brief, but it sounds like your brother the tyrant is going to be another Lord Lucien: dastardly eeeevil, and stupidly so, for no reason other than being evil. *Yawn*

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Uhm... i actually knew of the Problem and i know plenty of others who also knew of it. ^.^

loudmouth

Jul 17, 2009
More rubbish don't beleive anything about a fable game until you play it yourself.

though i have no intrest in play fable 3, fable 2 was such a bad game i don't even care about the third. Much rather watch paint dry then play anymore fable.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I can't wait for this, along w/ the 'Lair of the Shadow Broker' DLC. Buuuuuut, since my system red ringed (thanks to my idiot younger brother) I guess I have to wait.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
I've been thinking about picking this up when it comes out, articles like this are quite helpful in that decision. Looking more and more like I'll be getting this.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
If they can just fix the economy. Make the townsfolk a bit more believable and less hive minded. Bring back Stealth (from the first Fable). And make the Magic system more intuitive and less Over powered then I think Fable III will be better then the first two. (Fable: The Lost Chapters still is better then Fable II in my book)

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Oh also.... they really really REALLY need to make the whole customizable appearance work better then it did in Fable II. Fable II failed in so many ways -_-

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
Fable is slowly turning itself into a Sims game, how unfortunate for the fans which they've thrown aside. Perhaps if you never played the original Fable, you'll like it.

I like the original Fable for its mostly linear story and questing system, along with epic boss fights, weapons, and armor. They need to stop changing stuff, and just make an entirely different game for these kinds of changes.

I understand its their property and they can do what they want, perhaps their plan all along was to make 3 different types of games under the same realm. But all I want is the original Fable with updated graphics, a longer story with more items to find, and the new battle mechanics (the one thing they got right with the sequal, much like with Oblivion).

But if they want to go this route, I have now reason to complain, I'll just ignore it and they'll lose my hundred dollars. (I bought the special edition Fable 2 and the guide, and it was the only game I bought at midnight launch and missed a day of school for, it's terrible to lose fans of the original like me)

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well I think it certainly shows they have put alot of work into it, and they really are trying to learn from where theo ther two did not

Trentnes

Sep 3, 2010
Great news regarding the menus but that was never the reason I never felt a connection to anything in the Fable II. The game never gave me any reason care about the world or the characters in it.

The story is a throw away. You know how its going to end from the start and there are no twists.

The vast majority of the characters are clones: Wife died? No big deal, you can get another who looks and acts just like her - assuming you want to given how ugly everyone is.

There were a few who were unique in the world but I never had enough interaction with them to begin to care.

The one character in the game I felt anything toward was a certain douche bag I really wanted to kill. Unfortunately he was one of the three heroes and got to walk away in a cut scene before my broadsword and I could get satisfaction.

Enough of Fable 2 was done right that it was a pleasant enough for one play through but I would love to hear from a preview that lessons were learned and the world and characters are more endearing this time around. So far I have yet to read anything to suggest they have. Is there anything I have missed?

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
Psydney said:
Please say we don't have to stick to carrots, celery and tofu if we don't want our characters to be fat. Running for miles across open countryside, swinging heavy swords through the air, casting spell upon spell - I really can't have the occasional blueberry pie without turning into a blimp?
I agree 100%. Um, veggie sword swingers, don't work well..