Preview: Fable 3

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
as long as there is no loading screen to hit the sanctuary... THe time of the loadermight make it a bit of a hassle to jump back and forth

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
So it's the Temple from the original Black & White? Finally molyneux is learning which of his ideas were good and which were just... Different.

Forktongue

May 19, 2009
The new menu system sounds interesting. I'm a long-time completionist so having a series of rooms to display all of the crap I've collected sounds fun.

My biggest concern hasn't been mentioned in any previews I've seen. What made me feel disconnected from the world itself was the lack of variety in npc models and voices. It sounds like they have an impressive cast list for the main characters but I'd almost prefer less a-list actors playing lead roles and more voice actors providing a wider variety of voices to all the npcs (although I cant imagine who I'd want to cut from the current cast list!).

Any word on how many npc models/voices there are?

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
oranger said:
The problem with doign away with menus entirely is that it trends towards simplification in all the aspects menus touch on (IE invisible war, bioshock, doom 3, others).

But the spell blending sounds terrific, perhaps THIS time it will be reasonable to be a mage?
Fable one's magic was diverse, but difficult to utilize and enhance, and fable 2's magic was stupid (summon undead FROGS?!) for the most part, time manipulation + guns notwithstanding.
I thought both games had ridiculously overpowered magic systems. By the time you had level 4 magic it was the only thing you needed to use.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Yesss I've been waiting for Lionhead to move away from their damn, menu/interface kick for so long. They do games so well without them.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
John Cleese is in it.

I'm glad to hear that I'll be hearing him a fair bit as I run around changing clothes.
And I've always wanted more Cleese, this game satisfies there.

OT:
The reduction of menus reminds me of your Villa in AC2. Of course, there were still a lot of menus, but there was a room for your armor and weapons and you could buy paintings for some change in the rest of the house.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Fix some of the most annoying flaws in Fable 2 (shallow story, uninteresting and/or irritating characters, annoying NPCs) ; then we'll talk.

Caligulust

Apr 3, 2010
I'm happy if eating meat won't give me douche points like it did in Fable 2.

I've always enjoyed the Fable series. While not the best games, they aren't horrible.

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
I went back and played a little Fable 2 recently, and I gotta say, the sheer awfulness of the menu system really jumped out at me. So glad it's getting overhauled, especially if John Cleese will be making fun of me while I use it.

RooftopAssassin

Sep 13, 2009
This is something that applies to most games. The best example, I think, is Mass Effect. Simplifying the menus and items made Mess Effect 2 much more enjoyable to me.

I'm anxious to see it for myself, though.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
i'd be curious if you could choose of taking the king out by:

-Mass Mob + Firing squad
-Exile
-killing him by yourself
-reconciliate
-a contest of chickenkickin' and send him home...

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
I am looking foward to this. Mostly since I am one of the seemingly few open advocates of Molyneux.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
So in otherwords, it's the same system Molyneaux implemented in Black & White. This doesn't fill me with anticipation.

B2kCyclops

Apr 28, 2010
Sounds very good, maybe Fable 3 will be the first game of the series that I actually really enjoy.
I hate to be pessimistic, but....
....considering what the last two games of the franchise(or Mr. Molyneux to be precise) promised, and so perfectly failed to deliver, I'll wait for the actual release and then be suprised by a new and unique way of failing.

I sincerly hope that I'll be wrong and that Fable 3 will be a great and awesome game, but history has the well reported ability to repeat itself seamlessly, especially when the same people as before are involved.

thimblyjoe

Aug 10, 2009
Sounds like it could be good. I'll just go in with no expectations and enjoy it for what it is.

And by the way Susan. Your question about the chickens? That's going back to the first Fable in which they basically made an entire mini-game out of kicking chickens. Why they did that I can't tell you, but it was kinda fun for the first five minutes or so.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
It certianly looks that i can be good. But i wonder if it can live up to the hype.

ahappycamper

Jul 13, 2009
Susan, about the chickens, the origin of chickens goes back further than Fable, in Dungeon Keeper (Bullfrog Games - under Peter Molyneux) used chickens to feed the creatures in the game, i'm not sure about DK1 but DK2 also had a spell to turn enemies into chickens, you could also splat them by 'flicking' them.