Preview: Medal of Honor Beta Hands On

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
FallenJellyDoughnut said:
To be honest it looks like a low quality Bad Company 2 with less features.
Agreed. Did you see the bandoleer after the character death? Looked like it was strapped to a brick.

Don't reply with that beta-shmeta bs. This is BFBC2 in the desert. Could've been DLC just like every Madden since 07.

Makszi

Apr 1, 2010
This review sounded a lot like "It's good 'cause it's good." I'd like some actual info on the gameplay mechanics that you said you focused on.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
I'm excited for this game, but only because I really want to see what they've done with the graphics engine and AI. I remember the original MoH being very good with these two aspects (everything else made me vomit bile, but i won't get into that here) and I hope they keep the high production values in this newest installment.

MoH always had a more 'solid' games engine compared to any of it's rivals (who you mentioned in the preview), and felt much more fun and inolving to play (even if it lacked other elements to make it a great game, such as story etc). I feel that if it wasn't for CoD:MW and the ilk then this could have been a game people who rave about for years to come. As it stands, people feel it's a copy/paste middle-east shooter, or as the less imaginative would call it, MoH:MW.

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
Haven't played it myself, but apparently a player said that it "Feels like BC2 and looks like MW2". Since everyone else is doing it, to ME it looks like BC2 cross with Combat Arms :D

It is, of course, completely unnecessary , it just doesn't look unique enough to be worth buying in anyway. It's very rarely I want to buy a game just for "More of the same". Sorry Medal of Honor you just came in to late with not enough :( (It's OK MOH, I still loved Allied Assault, and if you can get as many mod's going as it, hell i might just buy you :D )

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
I haven't even check to see if this is on PSN yet, so I'll look for it today.

So far, which is everyone here planning to buy: CoD: Black Ops, or this new Medal of Honor?

This new MoH looks really cool, but I have BC2, so I don't think it'd be worth paying full price.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
TundraWolf said:
Secondly, it's interesting that Steve decided to mention the issue of the political content. We hear all manner of praise for games like Modern Warfare and the like, but the political ramifications and commentary voiced by such games is never really discussed. It's only when games like Six Days In Fallujah come to light that people start to talk about it, and it's usually to decry the issue as anti-patriotic and brand it as taboo.

Honestly, though, I'm not sure such a comment was needed for the multiplayer content. I mean, you obvious that it gave you pause for a moment or two and you felt it important enough to mention, I just don't know if doing so in regards to the multiplayer was the way to go. It doesn't seem like it would give people any more pause than playing the Axis side in WWII-based games, or playing the Militia side in MW2. I'd be interested to see what your thoughts on the topic are after the single-player is released, though.

My two cents.
Like I said, the developers don't make much of the political dimension in multiplayer. It's just an extra detail in the background. Given that developers of these games are intentionally using current military operations to enhance the relevance of their games, it's not only a fair topic for discussion, but an essential one. That's not an excuse for me to say I'm for or against the War itself, but I think I am required to comment on its use (some would say "exploitation") as a setting for our entertainment. As far as Six Days goes, I don't think we have a right to call someone unpatriotic based solely on the games they create or play, but we do have an obligation to explore the varying sensitivities that the gaming community and the culture at large have to these issues.

I felt inclined to lay out the basic facts and express my own reaction in what I hope was a non-judgmental manner. It may not be a big part of the game, but it is a part, and one worthy of discussion.

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
FallenJellyDoughnut said:
To be honest it looks like a low quality Bad Company 2 with less features.
Even all the animations are the same. Look at the way the gun wobbles when he's walking. Exactly the same in BBC2. Red Dot Sight looks exactly the same. Reload animations are exactly the same. Game modes very similar. DICE didn't even try to make MOH different from BBC2.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Steve Butts said:
Just thought I'd mention that you're calling MoH Frontline the first Medal of Honour game, when It's the 4th. First one came out in 1999.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I have but one question, Will I be able to use an SA80?

I really want to want this game, but so far I can't help but agree with other people, it looks same old same old. I want more shooters sure, but i'd like to see designers imaginations go to work.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Percutio said:
Demon ID said:
I have but one question, Will I be able to use an SA80?

I really want to want this game, but so far I can't help but agree with other people, it looks same old same old. I want more shooters sure, but i'd like to see designers imaginations go to work.
There were twelve primary weapons in the beta.

M4 - Remington 870
M16 - M249
M14 - M24

AK74U - TOZ 194
AK47 - PKM
Dragunov SVD - SV98

And then there were two pistols, grenades, C4/IEDs, Bradley Assault vehicles, fixed machine guns, and anti tank weapons.
just for the fact I heard coalition repeatedly mentioned I'm going to hold out hope we get more than just American/Russian weapons.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
RobCoxxy said:
A modern day FPS made by EA and Dice.

Swear that came out earlier this year... :p That AK-74su model looks remarkably similair to BC2's as well.

Ah, who cares?
Same engine, it has. Kinda. I think it is BC1's engine.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
D'oh! When I said first Medal of Honor, I meant the first one for the PC, MOH: Allied Assault