Preview: Medal of Honor Beta Hands On

TundraWolf

Dec 6, 2008
Steve Butts said:
TundraWolf said:
Secondly, it's interesting that Steve decided to mention the issue of the political content. We hear all manner of praise for games like Modern Warfare and the like, but the political ramifications and commentary voiced by such games is never really discussed. It's only when games like Six Days In Fallujah come to light that people start to talk about it, and it's usually to decry the issue as anti-patriotic and brand it as taboo.

Honestly, though, I'm not sure such a comment was needed for the multiplayer content. I mean, you obvious that it gave you pause for a moment or two and you felt it important enough to mention, I just don't know if doing so in regards to the multiplayer was the way to go. It doesn't seem like it would give people any more pause than playing the Axis side in WWII-based games, or playing the Militia side in MW2. I'd be interested to see what your thoughts on the topic are after the single-player is released, though.

My two cents.
Like I said, the developers don't make much of the political dimension in multiplayer. It's just an extra detail in the background. Given that developers of these games are intentionally using current military operations to enhance the relevance of their games, it's not only a fair topic for discussion, but an essential one. That's not an excuse for me to say I'm for or against the War itself, but I think I am required to comment on its use (some would say "exploitation") as a setting for our entertainment. As far as Six Days goes, I don't think we have a right to call someone unpatriotic based solely on the games they create or play, but we do have an obligation to explore the varying sensitivities that the gaming community and the culture at large have to these issues.

I felt inclined to lay out the basic facts and express my own reaction in what I hope was a non-judgmental manner. It may not be a big part of the game, but it is a part, and one worthy of discussion.
I have to agree with you in this regard, as you raise valid points. I believe that we're on the same page when it comes to how developers are treating the current war as a setting for video games. I guess my problem with the reason you mentioned this is that other reviewers haven't even remotely mentioned this as something to consider, with this game or others. I don't think it's wrong for you to bring it up; quite the contrary. I commend you for speaking your mind on a matter that you clearly feel is something important to discuss. However, what I don't feel is fair is how this game has been picked out of all these other games for this matter to be talked about.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2, more-so than other games, both have large components of the game where you are fighting people in the Middle-East, yet I have seen little to no discussion on the commentary that they have put into their games. Likewise for games like Full Spectrum Warrior and the like. This could just be because I haven't looked in the right spots, but to single out Medal of Honor as a game deserving of such commentary without talking about other games doesn't seem fair.

Of course, perhaps you've come to the same conclusions as I. Perhaps you think that now is the time for such discussion to happen and for people to pay attention to such matters. If that is the case, then I commend you once again, because it seems no one else seems ready to tackle the issue. So kudos to you all around.

All things told, I'm looking forward to this game and to seeing what their take on the conflict overseas is like. Cheers for the review of the beta!

Dok Zombie

Apr 24, 2008
Someone may have already pointed this out, but the Normandy level wasn't in the first Medal Of Honour, the first two games were PS1 exclusives (MOH and MOH: Underground), the D-Day Omaha beach levels didn't appear until MOH: Allied Assault on the PC and MOH: Frontline on the PS2.

Caradinist

Nov 19, 2009
Steve Butts said:
D'oh! When I said first Medal of Honor, I meant the first one for the PC, MOH: Allied Assault
I figured as much, given that Allied Assault pretty much re-established that craze for World War II.

Also, if i remember correctly, when EA decided to drop the World War II to move on to Vietnam with Medal of Valor, a few of the major people that worked on Allied Assault joined up with Infinity Ward, and we all know the history from there.

For those people saying it's going to be a Bad Company 2 ripoff, you may be right at first glance, because DICE are the ones developing the multiplayer for this game. It is a beta, however, so you may want to hold off on the pitchforks and torches.

ModusPwnens

Jun 6, 2010
Like many others, I also don't get it. Why produce such an obviously derivative game in an already saturated genre? To paraphrase Yahtzee from his God of War 3 review, I don't see any reason for this game to exist.

Well, I'm open to being proven wrong when it comes out...

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
ModusPwnens said:
Like many others, I also don't get it. Why produce such an obviously derivative game in an already saturated genre? To paraphrase Yahtzee from his God of War 3 review, I don't see any reason for this game to exist.

Well, I'm open to being proven wrong when it comes out...
because it is easy to make and they know people are going to buy it. While this game might end up generic there other FPS games that are not

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
This looks too similar to Bad Company 2. Meh, I'm getting rather tired of generic realistic shooters.

JohnSmith

Jan 19, 2009
Asehujiko said:
This is different from BFBC2 how exactly?
Even the way the running and shooting was animated looked exactly the same, also did you see the mortar strike. They are reviving the Medal of Honour brand but sticking it on a re-skinned BFBC2 which is just ridiculous. Not that I think anyone will be buying it in Australia anyway, stupid dice/whoever's fault it really was turning of our servers.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
Well I hope they use insurgent type of vehicles like a pick up truck with a mounted MG on the back and a mounted LMG in the front windsheild. or Gimme some of those and I'll be happy as a pig in shit.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
dedicated servers? or lag prone player hosting? depending on the answer i'll either buy it or not.

refuses to play an FPS in lag!

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
Gameplay looks meh, but Medal of Honor get's plus 10 points for having the balls to say we're fighting the Taliban, in Afghanistan. Instead of, ethnic insurgents in a desert environment that resembles Afghanistan but isn't.

colourcodedchaos

Jun 20, 2008
Similarities to BFBC2 and MW2 aside, they're obviously trying to be realistic. Taliban in Afghanistan gettin' beat by Uncle Sam, and so forth.

But they've made a cataclysmic error. They're all US Army chaps in Helmand, so... where're everybody else? Where are 40 Commando or The Rifles or anyone from the NATO coalition? Do they not exist any more? Considering that British troops have been amongst the worst hit in Helmand (and in Afghanistan in general) this seems wrong.

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
The only thing that bugs me about this is that the first Medal of Honour did NOT come out in 2002. I remember playing Medal of Honour games on my old PS1 when I was a wee lad back in the late nineties.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
colourcodedchaos said:
But they've made a cataclysmic error. They're all US Army chaps in Helmand, so... where're everybody else? Where are 40 Commando or The Rifles or anyone from the NATO coalition? Do they not exist any more? Considering that British troops have been amongst the worst hit in Helmand (and in Afghanistan in general) this seems wrong.
Hell yes. This is the point I wanted to make. I know we should have really come to expect this from America by now, and knowing Medal of Honour was originally by Steven Spielberg, who sort of forgot that there were British and Canadian soldiers in D-Day, I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised, but when you make a map based on a conflict zone fought in primarily by the British and Afghanistan forces, and replace both of them with a bunch of Army Rangers, going to fight the ragheads for Mom and Apple Pie, well. It just feels like a kick in the nuts. Not to mention that it's rather disrespectful overall, perhaps this is why most developers shy away from real wars.

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
I'd like to hear an honest DICE opinion about the multiplayer. Somehow I feel that they'd much rather work on their own game series, Battlefield or Mirror's Edge, than get "outsourced" to do multiplayer on a Medal of Honor game.

I guess EA is boss, and the money is good.

Chameliondude

Jul 21, 2009
AmrasCalmacil said:
colourcodedchaos said:
Hell yes. This is the point I wanted to make. I know we should have really come to expect this from America by now, and knowing Medal of Honour was originally by Steven Spielberg, who sort of forgot that there were British and Canadian soldiers in D-Day, I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised, but when you make a map based on a conflict zone fought in primarily by the British and Afghanistan forces, and replace both of them with a bunch of Army Rangers, going to fight the ragheads for Mom and Apple Pie, well. It just feels like a kick in the nuts. Not to mention that it's rather disrespectful overall, perhaps this is why most developers shy away from real wars.
This pisses me off so much as well, because its not just a few things, its effectivly all war movies and games disregard anybody who isnt american, american troops were a minority of the troops on d-day but obviously there are no british in savinng private ryan, and some even portray totally brittish operations by americans as well,

And i also found the recent odst in really bad taste, it was something like remember the alamo, remember trafalger, remember the somme, remember odst,
thousands of people died in those wars and they are using them as marketing for a fucking fictional space game, hollywood has completely undermined the seriousness and brutality of wars which you would think would be the most sacred of historic events, but i suppose if they are makinng money, they arnt going to stop any time soon

Kuar

Jul 12, 2010
Chameliondude said:
AmrasCalmacil said:
colourcodedchaos said:
This pisses me off so much as well, because its not just a few things, its effectivly all war movies and games disregard anybody who isnt american, american troops were a minority of the troops on d-day but obviously there are no british in savinng private ryan, and some even portray totally brittish operations by americans as well,

And i also found the recent odst in really bad taste, it was something like remember the alamo, remember trafalger, remember the somme, remember odst,
thousands of people died in those wars and they are using them as marketing for a fucking fictional space game, hollywood has completely undermined the seriousness and brutality of wars which you would think would be the most sacred of historic events, but i suppose if they are makinng money, they arnt going to stop any time soon
This is getting on my nerves as well, almost as much as that U-571 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-571_(film)#Controversies_regarding_content] film... it's interesting how when appealing to an international audience companies still try to change history in order to put the Americans in the spotlight. Personally I don't think it's fair that other nations don't receive their credit, especially when they've suffered casualties there. Though it's ultimately down to the game designers so what can you do :/

mohkey

Jul 19, 2010
Guys do you'll want BETA key if yes then i suggest you'll to visit this cool site. Good Luck http://medalofhonorkey.blogspot.com/