Preview: Minecraft

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Daemascus said:
Pretty good for a game still in Alpha.
This is what people have to remember: It's in Alpha.
Notch has already said, numerous times, how he's planning on adding:
- Quests
- NPC Villages
- Flying monsters
- Water creatures
- Biome specific monsters

And more!

Right now, the game is extremely playable, and is a complete blast.
But it is really just a foreshadowing of what is to come.
And I, for one, can't wait to see it in it's entirety.

FlayD

Dec 11, 2009
Baby Tea said:
Daemascus said:
Pretty good for a game still in Alpha.
This is what people have to remember: It's in Alpha.
Notch has already said, numerous times, how he's planning on adding:
- Quests
- NPC Villages
- Flying monsters
- Water creatures
- Biome specific monsters

And more!

Right now, the game is extremely playable, and is a complete blast.
But it is really just a foreshadowing of what is to come.
And I, for one, can't wait to see it in it's entirety.
Exactly what I was going to say. I think saying that Minecraft 'won't ever be more than what you're willing to put in to it' is a little bit short-sighted.

At the very least, the 99% of people who can't or won't create something amazing will always be able to enjoy what others of created. But while I think that the modes we currently have will always be available, and that they will always be a staple part of the game, it's more likelt there will eventually be a whole slew of game modes - fan made ones if nothing else. Just look at infiniminer if you want to see how this could work.

Noko

Oct 7, 2010
Man, Notch needs to start on the server script soon. I want to go to the nether, or having some sort of zombie hunt :D

ZodiacBraves

Jun 26, 2008
Badwolf14 said:
it seems like a pass time more than anything to me....i played it (i dont know if i was playing a demo version because i could only build with certain blocks....didn't have the freedom that showed in the video) and got hooked in it pretty quickly (i started to build a castle >.>)....but i havent gone back to it be because i didn't have time to but also because i am not that motivated to go to it....now im not saying it is a bad game...i think its a great idea which gives plenty of freedom but doesn't seem like it's that engaging of a game to have somebody come back to it often
You played the free version, you have to pay for the real game. You can pre-purchase the game now for 50% off, and he gives you free entry into the alpha testing (current game).

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
The amount of potential in this game makes my pants tight.

Imagine redstone+iron to make magnets. Now make magnet blocks that metal objects are attracted to and you have a minecart linear accelerator.

Or an actual cannon that you load with gunpowder and cannonballs, then aim it to blow things up at range.

Or skeletons that shoot flaming or explosive arrows.

Or acid that slowly dissolves the blocks underneath it as it flows.

Or redstone powered jump assist boots that need to be recharged after X power jumps (watch out for that landing!)

Or walking minecarts with spider legs that go up walls or over land.

The possibilities are nearly endless and that is what really captures your imagination, even in the primitive state this game is now.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Explorator Vimes said:
I'm so very much on the fence about this. I do love me some Lego building, but I dunno, it just doesn't seem like it'd be more than a diversion rather than a real game. I know that it's because it is in beta still, but something tells me it isn't planning on getting much more complex because that would dilute the point of it all.
It's in Alpha, not Beta. Creator, Notch, plans to bring up his production company, Mahjong Specifications, to a good size, then start working on a single-player campaign for the damn thing, with quests 'n stuff; as well as competitive multiplayer modes.

This game is going to off the hook when it's finished.

Ravinak

Nov 5, 2008
rembrandtqeinstein said:
The amount of potential in this game makes my pants tight.

Imagine redstone+iron to make magnets. Now make magnet blocks that metal objects are attracted to and you have a minecart linear accelerator.

Or an actual cannon that you load with gunpowder and cannonballs, then aim it to blow things up at range.

Or skeletons that shoot flaming or explosive arrows.

Or acid that slowly dissolves the blocks underneath it as it flows.

Or redstone powered jump assist boots that need to be recharged after X power jumps (watch out for that landing!)

Or walking minecarts with spider legs that go up walls or over land.

The possibilities are nearly endless and that is what really captures your imagination, even in the primitive state this game is now.
Or a CPU:

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
I love how people here complain that there is no point to this game when all games are essentially timesinks. Have we really grown so ashamed of our gaming pastime that we aren't willing to call all games what they really are?

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
I have avoided Minecraft. My reason is because I see it as an incredibly addictive time-sapper. I know that if I truly got into it I'd be hooked and the thing is - building a scale model of the Starship Enterprise may be "cool" but it's essentially nothing. To spend so much time on a creative outlet such as Minecraft to no end whatsoever is pretty disheartening.

It's why I'm pretty wary of the notion of "creative" games. Sure it maybe creative but you're still creating in the confines of a game.

I don't think I'm getting across exactly what my concern is and it's probably nothing really. But I'm watching you Minecraft, oh yes. I'm watching you.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
This game sounds like it could have a lot of fun hanging out with a certain sackboy.

Badwolf14

Aug 6, 2010
ZodiacBraves said:
Badwolf14 said:
it seems like a pass time more than anything to me....i played it (i dont know if i was playing a demo version because i could only build with certain blocks....didn't have the freedom that showed in the video) and got hooked in it pretty quickly (i started to build a castle >.>)....but i havent gone back to it be because i didn't have time to but also because i am not that motivated to go to it....now im not saying it is a bad game...i think its a great idea which gives plenty of freedom but doesn't seem like it's that engaging of a game to have somebody come back to it often
You played the free version, you have to pay for the real game. You can pre-purchase the game now for 50% off, and he gives you free entry into the alpha testing (current game).
kk thx

copycatalyst

Nov 10, 2009
I take issue with phrases like "undeniably fun and addictive." I would never deny your ability to have fun with it, but I can certainly deny this effect on me.

I tried the free online version and got bored. I was later convinced by a friend to purchase the full version anyhow, with assurances that there is more "game" here. I tried that, and got bored and disappointed. For me, the monsters are not scary. They're not interesting to defeat, or fun to avoid. They're just nuisances.

All that said, I do see potential in Minecraft. But the version for sale now did not hook me in the slightest.

Calderon0311

May 9, 2009
I would suggest this game to anyone that needs a "side game" to play. I'll play differnet games (Like currently playing TF2 and Kingdom Hearts: BBS) but I keep returning to Minecraft to cool down and recharge.

Personally, I love playing alone with the lights off in this world. I've been trying to build a quick Minecart station from my Spawn point to my Home/Fort (It's currently at least three stories, along with a sky platform for a Minecart station as well. I've been a bit bored lately with all of the world that I've conquered, and began starting to expand outwards, traveling for days with limited supplies to create a new home. With the update and the biomes, a new life has surged from the game. It's been an experience to climb a digital mountain top to find a thick Forrest on the other side or a desert that can spawn for miles.

I can't wait to see what the finish game will be like, but as it is, it reminds me so much of the stories I would experience with old school RPG games. Just exploring aimlessly, but knowing that survival is the reason why I exist.

It should be noted that Game Saves are sharable, and there are tools people use to create and edit worlds. It's still a budding community, but lately, there are people building "pre-built" worlds with a aim and story to look for in the ruins.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
Wow.

Not only am I watching this, but the Escapist minecraft server is running in the background.

I think I need help.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Explorator Vimes said:
I'm so very much on the fence about this. I do love me some Lego building, but I dunno, it just doesn't seem like it'd be more than a diversion rather than a real game. I know that it's because it is in beta still, but something tells me it isn't planning on getting much more complex because that would dilute the point of it all. I've read the articles posted, and looked at the pretty and awe inspiring things people have built, and I know I lack both the talent and drive to do any of that stuff. I mean, I'm the kid who builds what's on the box of Legos using the instructions and then leaves it together, I've never really been the inventive type I suppose. Guess I can just continue to observe from a far and hope that Notch and his new company continue to be successful in what they do.
Don't be so sure it won't get more complex. Notch has mentioned that he wants to add in things like NPC settlements and even the occasional quest, so I have a feeling it's going to get pretty expansive before it's fully "done". I love games with open and ongoing development like Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress, because you can expect new features for years to come.

ZodiacBraves

Jun 26, 2008
Yokai said:
Explorator Vimes said:
I'm so very much on the fence about this. I do love me some Lego building, but I dunno, it just doesn't seem like it'd be more than a diversion rather than a real game. I know that it's because it is in beta still, but something tells me it isn't planning on getting much more complex because that would dilute the point of it all. I've read the articles posted, and looked at the pretty and awe inspiring things people have built, and I know I lack both the talent and drive to do any of that stuff. I mean, I'm the kid who builds what's on the box of Legos using the instructions and then leaves it together, I've never really been the inventive type I suppose. Guess I can just continue to observe from a far and hope that Notch and his new company continue to be successful in what they do.
Don't be so sure it won't get more complex. Notch has mentioned that he wants to add in things like NPC settlements and even the occasional quest, so I have a feeling it's going to get pretty expansive before it's fully "done". I love games with open and ongoing development like Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress, because you can expect new features for years to come.
Exactly, Minecraft is still in the Alpha stage, it hasn't even hit beta yet. We have a long time before this game stops improving.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I like the idea where you can build under pressure, hoping to have something protective done before nightfall. That's something I aim to exploit when I get this.

Considering the textures involved, when you start to see a noticeable framerate drop, you know it has got to be FRIKKIN HUGE.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
matrix3509 said:
I love how people here complain that there is no point to this game when all games are essentially timesinks. Have we really grown so ashamed of our gaming pastime that we aren't willing to call all games what they really are?
I think that what a lot of folks are trying to say is that they prefer games with more clearly defined goals. With that said, I personally love Minecraft. Some folks I do believe go into every game with with preconception that it needs these defined goals, and they really need to let that go. Love the idea of games that simply facilitate creativity.