Preview: Minecraft

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
archvile93 said:
How does the combat work in Minecraft exactly?
you point at the thing you want dead and click until they fall over and explode...<.<

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
I love Minecraft. I was recently made single and two months ago I had my account locked by choice. For those two months I have been playing Minecraft.

Now it's still an alpha, no real NPCs, no quests or anything because an alpha is for testing the stability of the game world. That's why it's so slim at the moment, Notch is literally getting the world working.

I recently came up with the idea of wooden scaffolding, I'm building a sky castle and when I'm done I'm going to burn away the scaffolding and use a tree plantation on the roof to access the surface world. Literally burning my bridges should stop creepers!
try cloth or wool, i thought of trying that too but wood has a habit of not burning completely and will sometimes sit there on fire seemingly forever.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Dan Adams said:
Preview: Minecraft

The game, the phenomenon, the blocks.

Read Full Article
Dan,

The video review was pure poetry, for which I am grateful.

Solon5694

Sep 23, 2010
Minecraft is a great game at first, but its entirely about being creative. Once you finish sometihng you were trying to do you always find yourself asking, well what's next? So I built a sky aquaduct made of glass to connect my two castles safely... well I suppose I could deccorate it with lava flows off the sides. My problem with the game was that there was never any doubt I could do what I wanted to do. It just would take time, and so I got halfway through a big project, and lost interest.

The survival mode is fun, but it needs more complexity. Once you build a house with a fence around it, you're pretty much never gonna die unless you go spelunking into caves, or get caught our of your house at night.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
A fair few of my roleplaying friends on the Escapist play Minecraft - or Minecrack as they jokingly call it - but I haven't seen that... je ne sais quoi that draws me into games. Sure, they all say it's fun, but I'm just not seeing it. I have nothing against the game; my problem is that I'm put off by it for some reason. Either that or it's just not appealing to me.

ClassicJokester

I Love You.
Apr 16, 2010
I picked it up a month or so ago (I think), and I've been pretty much hooked.

Singleplayer does wear down on you after a while, but if you can find a Multiplayer server that you like, you're golden. I joined a server a week or two after getting the game, and haven't touched singleplayer since.

And there are mods for SMP (survival multiplayer) that add a little more depth to the world. Our server uses an economy system (iConomy plugin), gives server admins lots of ways to deal with griefers, and probably some other ones I'm not aware of. Also, we have a guy working on getting a quest system working.

Also, SMP lets you get inspiration from (and collaborate with) people who are amazing builders.

someotherguy

Nov 15, 2009
I find it fun, survival mode appeals to a primal instinct, thats why I played. Survive is enough of an objective for me.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Pirate Yoda Online said:
Damn good game.

But Im confused why this is a preview? Minecraft has been out for a good long while now.
The reason it's a Preview, rather than a Review, is because the game is still in development (alpha phase, no less). We may revisit Minecraft with more content when it becomes a full release title - when we would Review the finished work.

Explorator Vimes

Jun 7, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
It's in Alpha, not Beta. Creator, Notch, plans to bring up his production company, Mahjong Specifications, to a good size, then start working on a single-player campaign for the damn thing, with quests 'n stuff; as well as competitive multiplayer modes.

This game is going to off the hook when it's finished.
Pardon the ignorance, but what is the difference between Alpha and Beta?

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Minecraft is epic, and still only in Alpha stage!

It's been keeping me from playing Fallout: New Vegas, F1 2010, Black Ops (yet to buy even), Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (also yet to buy), Far Cry 2, and some others...

opportunemoment

Jun 22, 2009
I don't know whether to thank you or CURSE YOU. This review (and the X's Adventures in Minecraft videos) made me decide to get it and now I'm utterly hooked and damn you I've got work to do...

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Haha, yay, I found out about Minecraft through X as well!

Also, it's Lego, not Legoes.

OctalLord

May 20, 2010
PoisonUnagi said:
OctalLord said:
archvile93 said:
How does the combat work in Minecraft exactly?

The monsters come out(usually at night.) and you right click to attack. You can build swords out of various materials(The better the grade the better damage the sword outputs. So Rock>Wood) you can also build bows. That's about it.

You can also build armor of various kinds to reduce how much damage you take. Those also take the same form of Rock>Wood.)

There's also(Also!) some people who've made traps that usually explode either killing the monsters outright or dropping them into a hole they can't get out of. But those are a little more complicated.

There's no Light>Dark or Ice>Fire type additives to the combat. It's really just that simple.
You can right click to attack with a sword?
Didn't know that, I've been using left click.

>.< Obviously, I need more sleep. I'm getting my left/rights mixed up.

@Archvile93, Yea... it's left click.

juffeee

Sep 4, 2010
Good example of game that has depth is Minecraft. usually people when they first play it say ''WTF!'' because there is no tutorial in the game(yet),but when you get the hang of it, it's great fun.recommend the game for everyone. =)http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Main_Page

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Explorator Vimes said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
It's in Alpha, not Beta. Creator, Notch, plans to bring up his production company, Mahjong Specifications, to a good size, then start working on a single-player campaign for the damn thing, with quests 'n stuff; as well as competitive multiplayer modes.

This game is going to off the hook when it's finished.
Pardon the ignorance, but what is the difference between Alpha and Beta?
Alpha is quite literally the first build out of the gate. A Beta, however, is the last build before it finishes. Usually an Alpha is kept in-house for testing purposes - the unfinished, unpolished version of the software. A Beta is usually always feature-complete, used for testing purposes.

So yeah. Alpha is unfinished, Beta is feature-complete yet unpolished, then.. final build is what you release as a product.