Preview: StarCraft II

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Preview: StarCraft II

StarCraft II really does feel like the game we've been waiting for.

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Eh. Seriously, if Starcraft 1 is the best the genre has to offer, then I don't care for that genre.

But holy shit does that game look pretty.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
So... you didn't get to see the singleplayer? Disappointing - I'm not really interested in the multiplayer aspect of most RTS's because I'm basically not very good at them, but I liked Starcraft 1 for having a good story mixed in with the RTS battles.

tgcPheonix

Feb 10, 2010
Makes me want to play it more than I already do -_- but I agree it's hard to class this game as a BETA considering the polish presented, and the 5 year (more?) development period. They could release it now and it would still have more than most BETA releases from the past couple of quarters.

And if you haven't already look at the Demo of the World Editor... can't wait to play the custom maps as well.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Doug said:
So... you didn't get to see the singleplayer? Disappointing - I'm not really interested in the multiplayer aspect of most RTS's because I'm basically not very good at them, but I liked Starcraft 1 for having a good story mixed in with the RTS battles.
They're keeping the singleplayer very close to their chests until the game comes out.

Soushi

Jun 24, 2009
I really really hope this game is worth it. From the sounds of it so far, it sounds like Starcraft Two is what we SC fans were waiting for. We *raises mug of Root Beer* here's to what we can only hope will be a game that lives up to expectations.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I tried to get into the first Starcraft, but it just seemed so slow-paced and bland. I played for a couple of hours, and never did it seem like actual fun. Which is a shame, because I've always had a certain fascination with RTS's, just that I haven't found one to entertain me enough.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
John Funk said:
Doug said:
They're keeping the singleplayer very close to their chests until the game comes out.
Righto - I'll have to look and see for the review when it comes out :D - though did Blizzard go ahead with the plan to split the singleplayer plot into 3 parts, only 1 of which comes with the game? i.e. the rest are downloadable content..?

I heard talk of that awhile go (a year, I think) - just wanna see if it was troll talk or real.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Doug said:
John Funk said:
Doug said:
Righto - I'll have to look and see for the review when it comes out :D - though did Blizzard go ahead with the plan to split the singleplayer plot into 3 parts, only 1 of which comes with the game? i.e. the rest are downloadable content..?

I heard talk of that awhile go (a year, I think) - just wanna see if it was troll talk or real.
There will be one game and two expansions. The first game, Wings of Liberty, is going to have the Terran campaign (30 missions, aka three times the size of the Terran campaign in the first game and the size of StarCraft I overall). The first expansion will have the Zerg campaign (again, 30-some-odd missions) and the second expansion will have the Protoss campaign (30-some-odd missions).

Honestly, having spoken to members of the team, I've really come away with the idea that the trilogy was the best way to go in order to do everything they wanted to do while still letting us, y'know, play the game before 2014.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
John Funk said:
Doug said:
John Funk said:
Doug said:

There will be one game and two expansions. The first game, Wings of Liberty, is going to have the Terran campaign (30 missions, aka three times the size of the Terran campaign in the first game and the size of StarCraft I overall). The first expansion will have the Zerg campaign (again, 30-some-odd missions) and the second expansion will have the Protoss campaign (30-some-odd missions).

Honestly, having spoken to members of the team, I've really come away with the idea that the trilogy was the best way to go in order to do everything they wanted to do while still letting us, y'know, play the game before 2014.
Ah, excellent - that sounds fair enough if we're getting a proper sized story campaign. Looking forward to SCII now!

EDIT: Proper sized with the game itself, I mean. I'm personally not opposed to the idea of multiple campaigns being sold, just opposed if that meant the game would come with a campaign purposefully short ot many you folk out for a good game overall.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
I think opinions are clouded as many have been waiting so long they convinced themselves it will be so great. Ask a non-fan of the company to review it and see what they think.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
tehroc said:
I think opinions are clouded as many have been waiting so long they convinced themselves it will be so great. Ask a non-fan of the company to review it and see what they think.
Sorry, you're wrong.

There are four of us in the beta. Only two played the original SC1 at any length. All four of us are having an absolute blast.

Hell, I was initially skeptical [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86041-PAX-2008-StarCraft-II-Hands-On] when I played it at PAX '08, but the game has come miles and miles since then. I had significant doubts, but Blizzard really knocked it out of the park on this one, I feel.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Doug said:

No, they kind of went overboard with creating a campaign and realized that there's no way they could get it all finished on time so they postponed a big chunk to future expansion packs(the predecessors to dlc that are actually worth their money) or be patched it when it's available like they did with the Rexxar campaign in WC3 TFT.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
John Funk said:
tehroc said:
Sorry, you're wrong.

There are four of us in the beta. Only two played the original SC1 at any length. All four of us are having an absolute blast.

Hell, I was initially skeptical [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86041-PAX-2008-StarCraft-II-Hands-On] when I played it at PAX '08, but the game has come miles and miles since then. I had significant doubts, but Blizzard really knocked it out of the park on this one, I feel.
I really don't think there's a thing you could say that will convince people it's a non-biased review. People either love blizzard games, or do everything they can to knock them. This looks like one of those unfortunate circumstances that you just had to reply to.

Having played the beta myself, I'm glad to see that, while you do refer to it as the old game constantly, you at the same time acknowledge that this isn't just a polished up version of the original. I've found enough innovation, even if it's the small aspects of the maps like the places you can hide, to the new unit functions, it feels like a true sequel in my eyes. Cannot wait to get my hands on the single player.