Preview: StarCraft II

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
It looks like everything it should be. People will still raise hell once it hits, because expectations are too high.

Except for Korea. They'll have to raise wages to get people to work again over there.

HellbirdIV

May 21, 2009
Peace Frog said:
Any news on what the South Korean elite think of it so far?
I imagine it's kind of like the Second Coming for them.

I loved the Preview though. "Carriers have arrived" indeed!

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
WC3 was suppose to be what we were waiting for and it disappointed SP fans due to the last luster AI...and since AI is not mentioned in this preview I bet the AI is jsut as bad as WC3..... *sigh* I si wish half assed games stopped doing so well....

Jebusetti

Jan 12, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Eh. Seriously, if Starcraft 1 is the best the genre has to offer, then I don't care for that genre.

But holy shit does that game look pretty.
This. Looks to be a re-skinned version of the original, which is great if you liked the first one... However, those of us that like the improvements made to the genre over the last 12 years are going to have to give this one a pass. Seriously? Your air units have to stop to fire? WTF is the point??? I will take my TA/SupCom any day thanks!

Hvati

May 5, 2009
Sooo, this game is just a WC3 adaptation of Starcraft? That's really lame, I kind of expected a little more from blizzard... Oh well, at least I have Diablo 3... Oh wait, they probably won't realese it until 2020 or something... *Sigh* Stupid blizzard, I won't buy Starcraft...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
ZippyDSMlee said:
WC3 was suppose to be what we were waiting for and it disappointed SP fans due to the last luster AI...and since AI is not mentioned in this preview I bet the AI is jsut as bad as WC3..... *sigh* I si wish half assed games stopped doing so well....
The only AI in the game at the moment is Very Easy. There *isn't* any singleplayer right now. That's why it wasn't mentioned.

uppitycracker said:
Having played the beta myself, I'm glad to see that, while you do refer to it as the old game constantly, you at the same time acknowledge that this isn't just a polished up version of the original. I've found enough innovation, even if it's the small aspects of the maps like the places you can hide, to the new unit functions, it feels like a true sequel in my eyes. Cannot wait to get my hands on the single player.
Oh, totally. I'm still learning how to take advantage of the whole line of sight things like trees and the steam vents and stuff.

Jebusetti said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Eh. Seriously, if Starcraft 1 is the best the genre has to offer, then I don't care for that genre.

But holy shit does that game look pretty.
This. Looks to be a re-skinned version of the original, which is great if you liked the first one... However, those of us that like the improvements made to the genre over the last 12 years are going to have to give this one a pass. Seriously? Your air units have to stop to fire? WTF is the point??? I will take my TA/SupCom any day thanks!
Balance, playability, and precision, mostly. Not every RTS needs every feature.

Hvati said:
Sooo, this game is just a slightly revamped Star craft 1 with better graphics and slight alterations and new stuff... that's REALLY lame, I know I won't buy it.
It's very difficult to show in video or even communicate in text, but StarCraft 2 i... it's simultaneously "StarCraft, but not StarCraft." It feels just like picking up the first game, but different at the same time. All the new units, all the new strategies and abilities, they really change how you approach the game.

Honestly, I was incredibly skeptical until I got the chance to play it at length.

HellbirdIV

May 21, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Doesn't matter if it's a new Mona Lisa. I won't be buying it until they remove the DRM and restore the LAN.
Okay, that's just childish.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
HellbirdIV said:
Doesn't matter if it's a new Mona Lisa. I won't be buying it until they remove the DRM and restore the LAN.
Nope, exercising my rights as a consumer to protest against a direction I don't like.
I'm not saying you are wrong and you should certainly vote with your money, but how come Steam doesn't garner the same response from you? That's what Blizzard has made though, a system where you loose some rights for other services.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Slycne said:
HellbirdIV said:
Nope, exercising my rights as a consumer to protest against a direction I don't like.
I'm not saying you are wrong and you should certainly vote with your money, but how come Steam doesn't garner the same response? That's what Blizzard has made though, a system where you loose some rights for other services.
Because Valve can do no wrong, man. Valve can do no wrong.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
John Funk said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
The only AI in the game at the moment is Very Easy. There *isn't* any singleplayer right now. That's why it wasn't mentioned.
Ah ok...sorry I am a bit of the old curmudgeon(only a few things put a tree up my butt and games not being finished or polished is just something I can not take much of anymore), next review on the finished project whoever dose it focus a bit of the review on the AI....its nice it looks good its nice they implemented more lil field tactics and layers that all good but without solid AI its just another project that spent to much time and effort on everything but finishing the game.....

John Funk said:
Slycne said:
HellbirdIV said:
I'm not saying you are wrong and you should certainly vote with your money, but how come Steam doesn't garner the same response? That's what Blizzard has made though, a system where you loose some rights for other services.
Because Valve can do no wrong, man. Valve can do no wrong.
I dunno...HL2 was a bit bland and empty...weapons could have been better balanced...there could have been a bit more to the single player game. Tho over all its not back tracking much on HL1 but I was hoping for a bit more....

And for the record I boycott steam I wont have anything to do with it if I buy a game that has steam on it I make sure there is a un steamed version to put in the case with the retail disc...

Glen Morangie

Sep 3, 2008
Actually, your units can fire while moving (see the Terran bikes, the Protoss stalkers, and the Mothership (oh lord, the mothership is impressive)) and are balanced around this (go watch the gameplay videos for the Terran and Protoss). There are new features that add more depth to the maps which will be fascinating to see play out.

Feb 13, 2008
Slycne said:
I'm not saying you are wrong and you should certainly vote with your money, but how come Steam doesn't garner the same response from you? That's what Blizzard has made though, a system where you loose some rights for other services.
Who says it doesn't? What Steam doesn't do is: slow my games down, limit my installs, limit my use of mods, force me to use one d/l system, and snoop without my permission.
What it does do is give me instant messaging that I can turn off, a robust package and reasonable prices some of the time. It also support independent developers and talks to its community.

That counts for a lot, and while I understand that companies have all gone down the DRM route, there are fair trade-offs and unfair trade-offs. I won't buy from those I believe have made unfair trade-offs.

Steam also crashes occasionally, have a support staff where sarcasm is an inbred trait and hides too many options away; but if I have to have a DRM, it's the one I'll put up with.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Slycne said:
HellbirdIV said:
it IS pretty shitty that you can't play LAN though. Starcraft was always a hit at LAN parties... now it's not possible to do so unless you somehow also get an internet connection.

coldshadow

Mar 19, 2009
Ive been watching the livestreams since the beta came out last week. I hope to get my key in the next wave.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Slycne said:
Who says it doesn't? What Steam doesn't do is: slow my games down, limit my installs, limit my use of mods, force me to use one d/l system, and snoop without my permission.
What it does do is give me instant messaging that I can turn off, a robust package and reasonable prices some of the time. It also support independent developers and talks to its community.

That counts for a lot, and while I understand that companies have all gone down the DRM route, there are fair trade-offs and unfair trade-offs. I won't buy from those I believe have made unfair trade-offs.

Steam also crashes occasionally, have a support staff where sarcasm is an inbred trait and hides too many options away; but if I have to have a DRM, it's the one I'll put up with.
I guess we could go through and weigh every feature to see where the scales land, but my point is that that's precisely what the new Battle.net system does. Unlimited install, downloadable clients, cross game chat, etc. If that's your DRM of choice, I don't see why this one is any different at least in a broad sense of the scheme.

coldshadow

Mar 19, 2009
AC10 said:
Slycne said:
HellbirdIV said:
it IS pretty shitty that you can't play LAN though. Starcraft was always a hit at LAN parties... now it's not possible to do so unless you somehow also get an internet connection.

they removed lan because thats how pirates played the first one online with the use of himachi.

I think lan mode will be introduced with a patch that requires u to be logged into battle.net to download. therefor still preventing pirates from getting it.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Slycne said:
Slycne said:

I guess we could go through and weigh every feature to see where the scales land, but my point is that that's precisely what the new Battle.net system does. Unlimited install, downloadable clients, cross game chat, etc. If that's your DRM of choice, I don't see why this one is any different at least in a broad sense of the scheme.
Do you know if you have to be logged into battle.net to access the single player game? I know the beta doesn't include single player content, but I haven't been following the battle.net features very closely so I'm hoping you knew.