Previews: Homefront: The Revolution Video Preview

andrearene

Mar 18, 2013
Homefront: The Revolution Video Preview

Crytek is bringing open-world action to Homefront.

Watch Video

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Another grey generic shooter with extra political fearmongering, with a plot right out of Half Life 2. I'll pass.

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
Ldude893 said:
Another grey generic shooter with extra political fearmongering, with a plot right out of Half Life 2. I'll pass.
correction, grey generic shooter now made even more generic with a open world taped on because everyone has to have them with a failed IP's name taped on for name recognition from the 3 people that bought the original.

Also while the first one at least seemed to be trying to use realistic near future tech from the cut scenes we're moving into straight up science fiction. Expect to see at least one nuclear bomb at some point.

Saippua

Jan 30, 2011
No multiplayer except for another 4 player co-op? Multiplayer was literally the only good part of orginal homefront.

Aug 19, 2010
Didn't the first game seriously undersell despite the ridiculously over-the-top marketing?
I just don't see it being successful enough to justify a sequel.

The guy is right on one thing : Homefront did have a lot of untapped potential, though I highly doubt that will change with the sequel.
Oh well, too early to judge.

GARforGunman

Dec 12, 2010
I tried taking Homefront seriously but the only thing that came to mind was CollegeHumor's animated series "The Adventures of Kim Jong Un." A dictatorial man-child's warped monument to his own ego he forces down his subjects' throats.

The main difference is that those animated shorts are tongue-in-cheek parodies. This series is playing it deadly serious, and that makes it absolutely hilarious in my book. North and South Korea uniting under that fat maniac's rule and invading America with futuristic weapons and super soldiers? That so implausible I can't help but laugh.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Remember how THQ declared themselves one of the big boys after the release of Homefront? That it was somehow going to be the contender for premiere FPS franchise?

Funny how things work out.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Remember the first Homefront game?
"Guys, it's okay if we blow White Phosphorus right on top of our heads. It'll only hit the bad guys, while leaving the good guys unscathed."

Color me skeptical.

andrearene

Mar 18, 2013
Saippua said:
No multiplayer except for another 4 player co-op? Multiplayer was literally the only good part of orginal homefront.
They never said they *aren't* having multiplayer, just that they weren't talking about it. I'm not sure if that means no, or they haven't figured out what they want to do yet.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
This is being made by Crytek UK, what was basicly Free Radical so I am hoping they still know how to make good games

EDIT: After watching the video I am interested in seeing more, in a way (gameplay wise) it seems maybe close to Far Cry 3 or The Saboteur. I highly doubt that the guerilla tactics thing goes any further then setting up traps and gadgets, I really dont see them making you feel like an untrained fighter (the only game that did it well was the first Mass Effect where you went from zero to hero even though storywise it never made sense that Shepard was so terrible with weapons).

The co-op though is what really made me interested, if its a good open world shooter all around having co-op just makes it better.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Wait......so the story. I played the original.......

How the FUTCH did the KPA get to Philadelphia?!

The story of the original AND the book both state that the KPA had poisoned and blockaded the Mississippi so that they didn't have to worry about the rest of the US military coming to the aid of the West. They also couldn't push further in because the US had fortified and strengthened the new border.

In addition at the end of Homefront 1, you had just started to retake San Franciso with the US Army (and some US Navy ships arrived and kicked the shit out of the KPN) and it was pretty obvious you were turning the tide a bit.

AND, and the in-game lore said that the EU was sending aid and military support to the US and the SAS was on its way to Hawaii to neutralize the KPA nuclear weapons they had there as a threat to the US.

WTF happened?

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
Who looked at Homefront and decided "sure, the FPS market isn't bloated enough, let's get some more of that!"

Crytek is Crytek, don't get me wrong, but I don't see this doing all that well.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Do we really needed a sequel of Homefront of all games?, I just find the idea incredibly stupid, at least on Wolfenstein TNO, nazis ruling the world with high tech weaponry is just a more fun idea than the generic "KPA invades teh US".

Also, I wonder if getting an extra layer of vaseline is enough to be considered "next gen".
I think I'll pass.

Aug 1, 2010
I have two questions.

One: How in the holy chipmunk fuck did Homefront get a sequel? Entire developers have been punished and destroyed for making games that got far better scores and sold better than that game. I just can't even see the publisher logic that thinks this can make money.

Two: When am I going to get my proper Red Dawn game? Stop pussyfooting around with this North Korea nonsense and trying to be all dark and gritty and just make the damn game. A game in the 1980s where a group of All-American high school students hide out in the woods and slaughter the filthy Communist Russians with guerrilla warfare and terrorist actions. I want the music, I want the glorious jingoism and I want it played awesomely cheesy, but also completely straight faced.
WHEN DAMMIT.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
I didn't play the first Homefront game. The premise was interesting, but the reviews turned me away from it.

This game however, may really win me over. It will be interesting to explore what America would be like with North Korea in full control. A lot of possibilities to explore.

And yes, it is more or less impossible for North Korea to be able to take over America, but it's still a "what-if" that I think is a lot of fun to imagine.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
I guess a lot of people including myself is just sick of fps, they do make the game sound somewhat interesting from a theoretical perspective but a lot of games that sounds good on paper turns out to be a disappointment in practice. I guess I'll skip this just for being an fps.

92Sierra

Oct 12, 2009
For me Homefront, just didn't live up to my expectations of what this kid of FPS should be: a celebration of guns. This is America that is being invaded, it should be an excuse to bring in any and all kinds of unique historical and modern weaponry. MilSurps from every gun producing country in history and conflict should be in this game; everything from single shot rifles, 10 gauge shotguns, to Japanese WW2 rifles, AK variants, to M60s and H&K rifles and Kris Vectors. Put it all in there and let the player have too many guns to choose from. If he wants to run around with an M-1 Garand or do cowboy action shooting with a lever action let him. Let the player go to town and scratch whatever gun fetish itch he has. That should be what an FPS about America being invaded should be about.