PREY is getting Excellent reviews from everywhere

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
B-Cell said:
RaikuFA said:
Pass on this garbage. Espesially since they threw their legal boner at a indie studio for titling their game Prey of the Gods. YEAH BECAUSE YOUR LEGAL TEAM CONSISTS OF TIM LANGDELL!
because they let other company to change the name so entire game is bad. right?
I refuse to buy it on principle and encourage others to do the same.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
RaikuFA said:
B-Cell said:
RaikuFA said:
Pass on this garbage. Espesially since they threw their legal boner at a indie studio for titling their game Prey of the Gods. YEAH BECAUSE YOUR LEGAL TEAM CONSISTS OF TIM LANGDELL!
Principal is why I'm giving everything Bethesda a hard pass until they change their review policy. They won't learn if I give them my money eventually anyway.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Ezekiel said:
Not to completely sidetrack here, but I got a PS3 over the Xbox 360 largely because of online subscription fees. I didn't get the upgraded version of the Playstation Store and I won't be getting the latest consoles because I really don't see the point in paying for a service that was previously free on top of a whole lot of other large (frankly unnecessary) expenses.

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
Ezekiel said:
I didn't torrent them either. There are so many options, especially with Steam family sharing and GOG not having DRM. .
Just because GOG doesn't have DRM doesn't mean it's not piracy to download the installer without buying it.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
altnameJag said:
RaikuFA said:
B-Cell said:
RaikuFA said:
Principal is why I'm giving everything Bethesda a hard pass until they change their review policy. They won't learn if I give them my money eventually anyway.
I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me. Got another reason to pass on this. Or even get it used/rent.

Feb 7, 2016
Yeah, the game looks like it turned out pretty good. I'll wait until it's on sale though. Maybe when it's $40 if I'm desperate for a new game (which is unlikely).

I'm not sure what there is to discuss though...this just smells like you trying to point and go "hahaha, I was right and you were wrong" to anyone that doubted the game looked that good.

Also WAB has said that numerous first person shooters have been the best since half life. I haven't watched the video yet at this stage so I can't confirm if he did, but at this point I wouldn't put any meaning behind it if he did. He's made it a useless comparison at this point.

Also...
B-Cell said:
1. Its a well optimize game as promise
2. Steam reviews are very positive
3. Its Half life meet System shock
4. Its Old school immersive sim with no regen health, cover system, xray vision, hand holding.
5. It has excellent level design.

and i could go on and on.

we dont get these types of games every year.
1. Yes, it does appear well optimized. Good on them!

2. Steam reviews aren't a good source of information...

3. That makes no sense.

4. HAHAHAHHA "Immersive SIM?" You're joking right? No, no, you're right. Black, ninja headcrab wannabes that can morph into coffee cups is totally simualtive. Look, just because a game doesn't have regenerating health doesn't make it a simulation. You want to know why? BECAUSE MED KITS ARE NOT REALISTIC. If you get shot in the leg, a medkit isn't going to make it all better again. Medkits in real life are for basic first aid until you can get to a hospital.

5. As for level design? I know you're going to deny this, but it looks EXACTLY like Bioshock. Minus the Zero-G looking stuff, it's exactly like Bioshock. Rooms ranging from small to large all connected by a hub world, yeah, that's Bioshock. And you coming on here stating "Bioshock was linear" with zero evidence doesn't mean anything. Bioshock was barely as linear as you made it sound, and Prey doesn't look any more open.

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
Ezekiel said:
DaCosta said:
Ezekiel said:
I didn't torrent them either. There are so many options, especially with Steam family sharing and GOG not having DRM. .
Just because GOG doesn't have DRM doesn't mean it's not piracy to download the installer without buying it.
Did I at any point condemn piracy? I don't have any issue with it. I also didn't say downloading them is what I did. For all you know, I copied them from a friend or family. They know the risks when they sell games without DRM.
If you copied them from a friend or family it's still piracy, and you say that you "didn't torrent them either", as if this is any better.

Yes, they know the risks, and it's this sort of abuse that leads to more games coming out with shitty DRM like Denuvo, and less games coming to GOG.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Elijin said:
B-Cell said:
RaikuFA said:
I'd like everyone to take a moment to reflect on B-Cell arguing that a single negative element or decision does not ruin an entire game. Just let that sink in.
OMG! Cats and dogs, living together! Mass hysteria!

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
DeliveryGodNoah said:
I kind of disagree with this. If you skip the memes and one-liners (literally scroll down for half a second), a lot of the helpful rated reviews go into a lot of detail and I find you can get a much better sense of the overall quality of the game. User reviews call out bullshit and notice underlying issues a lot better than actual reviewers who tend to rush through games to meet their deadlines. The best part of these reviews is that you can actually see how long a person has played the game. Considering how often major reviewers (youtubers included) don't even bring up major issues with games, I find Steam reviews to be a lot more honest.

Also, most importantly, Steam users usually aren't running the latest cutting edge that major reviewers are. You're a lot more likely to find out how the optimization is for a game. Just look at Dishonored 2 as one of the best examples. Few reviewers noted the terrible optimization. Steam reviews let me see that the problems still haven't been fixed.

I honestly find scrolling through user reviews on Steam to be a lot more useful than going and looking at Metacritic or some Youtube reviewers. There are exceptions to this of course (I love Joseph Anderson's lengthy critiques), but if I'm wanting a fairly quick gauge of quality, I find Steam user reviews to be the most helpful.

Feb 7, 2016
RedDeadFred said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:
I kind of disagree with this. If you skip the memes and one-liners (literally scroll down for half a second), a lot of the helpful rated reviews go into a lot of detail and I find you can get a much better sense of the overall quality of the game. User reviews call out bullshit and notice underlying issues a lot better than actual reviewers who tend to rush through games to meet their deadlines. The best part of these reviews is that you can actually see how long a person has played the game. Considering how often major reviewers (youtubers included) don't even bring up major issues with games, I find Steam reviews to be a lot more honest.

Also, most importantly, Steam users usually aren't running the latest cutting edge that major reviewers are. You're a lot more likely to find out how the optimization is for a game. Just look at Dishonored 2 as one of the best examples. Few reviewers noted the terrible optimization. Steam reviews let me see that the problems still haven't been fixed.

I honestly find scrolling through user reviews on Steam to be a lot more useful than going and looking at Metacritic or some Youtube reviewers. There are exceptions to this of course (I love Joseph Anderson's lengthy critiques), but if I'm wanting a fairly quick gauge of quality, I find Steam user reviews to be the most helpful.
Yeah, that's fair...it's just a pain in the ass to sift through all the useless garbage reviews.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Zhukov said:
Still looks like a less interesting current-gen Bioshock with shit enemies.

I'll give it a look when it comes down to the price of a takeaway lunch.
What think? Two months? Three?

I've got Persona 5 still to play anyway so I'm also gonna wait for that price drop, it won't be too long I bet.

chrissx2

Sep 15, 2008
RaikuFA said:
B-Cell said:
RaikuFA said:
You know, both companies were kinda dicks. Beth for wanting them to change the name (they contacted them 2years ago) and PotG creators for sticking with it as long as they could, hoping for some exposure caused by this dispute. Noone I've asked knew what Prey for the Gods is, until now.

Both companies are happy now. Beth "saved" their mark name and PotG may get more fans and bigger sale numbers. Beth got a little hit to their rep and PotG ended up with silly name.

They didn't force them to cancel the game. It was just a stupid name change. If you had your own brand that you care about, you would do the same thing.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I'd like to point out that apparently it's ok to abuse copyright law on common words because the one abusing it made games you like.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
RaikuFA said:
I'm with you on this one.

After what happened with Human Head Studios, Bethesda and Prey 2, I simply found myself unable to put much hope into this all-new "Prey", Arkane Studios or not.

The original Prey has a special place in my heart, as one of the most surprising good games of its time... too bad it's still being forced into extinction and generally being forgotten by the gaming public.

Maybe, just maybe this new "Prey" will eventually, later-on in the story, or in some remote DLC offer some of that sweet walking-on-the-ceiling action or even just more interesting enemy types than "hot black smoke tentacle thing crab-style" and "hot black smoke teleporting tentacle man thing"... not a fan. Sure, it may be much "better" than the legendary Gearbox rape and ongoing exploitation of the Duke Nukem IP, but an average, 08/15 shooty shooty FPS just won't do it for Prey in my books.

Thanks to Arkane for somewhat trying, but Bethesda's spirit animal for this one is clearly the maggot.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I dont buy Bethesdas stuff as they are a horrible company and I do not want to encourage them.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
B-Cell said:
Macks from worth a buy claim that its best FPS since Half life.
why do I care about his opinion again? same guy that gave Farcry Primal a good review but a bad review to Dark Souls 3, correct?

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Phoenixmgs said:
Gaming is quite cheap if you play on a console.
also on PC. Don't hate PC just because of the PCMR people. makes no real sense.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
DaCosta said:
Ezekiel said:
is it piracy if I have the CD and lend it to a friend to install on their machine?