Charcharo said:
RaikuFA said:
Charcharo said:
RaikuFA said:
Charcharo said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Bombiz said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Gaming is quite cheap if you play on a console.
also on PC. Don't hate PC just because of the PCMR people. makes no real sense.
I didn't hate on PC. I just prefer consoles because their pros are more important to me than the pros of PC gaming. There's quite a few people here that think console gaming has no pros at all.
Consoles objectively have no pros at all.
Cost more, offer less, dangerous to gaming's long term future.

Those are the facts.

Least I can put in a game and just start it up. Unlike on PC where I have to learn how to code just to start up a bunch of games.
This is interesting. I, as a poor Eastern European have been on PC for 20 years. Even when I didnt know English I had little issues getting a game to work.

You see, you have an installer. Press install. Yes, yes, yes several times. Then an exe appears on scree and I enter the game. Even my 6 year old self that still thought my monitor is the Computer knew that if a new game is new, I probably had to just set options to low.

And that is why I didnt learn programming. If only I knew programming was the OTHER way to PC game, I'd not have had to study C and SQL just to get a job to live in poor PC Gaming Eastern Europe. Silly me.

*Seriously now, lying is dishonest.
And yet games like Amnesia and Vampire the Masquerade refuse to start up for me. I can get games like Magic to work though. After my computer went kaput 3 years ago I just gave up altogether. Also there'should barely any JRPG's on there so I don't see the point in using a PC.
Without more information I can not tell you what the issue is. But the very fact you can even play Vampire the Masquerade (game from 2004) on PC is... already making conslows obsolete.
I suggest getting the GOG version of Vampire the Masquerade and Amnesia. Those are often very cheap and include player made fixes for VTMBL.

As for JRPGs... due to emulation and backwards compatibility, PC is ahead of any other "gaming" device.
But I can't play Vampire the Masquerade. And why should I double dip? Plus add $1000 on top of that. Not worth it. Plus a few more hundred every few months for a graphics card.
You do not have to double-dip. Just install the Bug Fix patch/mod and then it will run. Thing is, and sorry if I assumed too much (it isnt on purpose)... well I assumed the following:
1. You are a console gamer ergo are a lot richer than I am.
2. Probably American due to console gaming (IDK if it is true).
3. You probably dont have experience installing mods. It is a simple thing to install but some people are afraid the first time they do somethng.

Again, if I assumed wrong dont be mad. It is just how it usually goes.
As for PC:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Charcharo/saved/dcF6hM

This is above PS4 Pro level. I am sorry but not PS4 Pro level PC can be made so this is costlier, but more powerful.

And no, you dont need to upgrade a GPU every month or year. I upgrade GPUs every 6-7 years and am just fine...
1. No, not really. Only got a SNES cause my dad won it at a work raffle. Others I had to work for. 2 your right and 3 I didn't own a computer till 2010. And that one's dead.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Charcharo said:
That seems more like a statement about the nature of pre-packaged consumer goods vs common individual parts which can be shoved together to make a passable machine, than anything else.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Charcharo said:
Elijin said:
Charcharo said:
That seems more like a statement about the nature of pre-packaged consumer goods vs common individual parts which can be shoved together to make a passable machine, than anything else.
Unsure if I follow. I think you need to elaborate further as I dont understand the meaning of this comment. :(
The comments about poor areas of EU being PC rather than console. Seems more of a reflection on the accessibility and perceived initial cost of the pre-packaged console vs the fact they can cobble any old hardware into a workable PC.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Charcharo said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Bombiz said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Gaming is quite cheap if you play on a console.
also on PC. Don't hate PC just because of the PCMR people. makes no real sense.
I didn't hate on PC. I just prefer consoles because their pros are more important to me than the pros of PC gaming. There's quite a few people here that think console gaming has no pros at all.
Cost more, offer less, dangerous to gaming's long term future.

Those are the facts.
Thanks for proving my point!!!

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Oh geez, another thread derailed by Phoenixmgs and his smacktalk about PC.

Anyway, here's my review from steam:

Prey, I'm not that sad about missing out on Prey 2 anymore because this game is good. The games story is interesting and intriguing, the side-quests doesn't feel like a chore (most of the time), the characters you meet are actually somewhat likeable and the gameplay is solid. The music, oh the music, it's so good and it really sets the mood for the game, you, stranded on a mostly spacestation with no memory of how you got there or who you used to be. The powers are fun and varied, so are the enemies. You can never really let your guard down when it comes to the mimics, they can be anywhere and anything. Some enemies can be stupidly over-powered early on in the game, luckily you can avoid them but what's the fun in that?

Now, for the first 10 hours or so I was convinced that this game was about to be my GOTY, it was a fresch breeze in todays gaming industry...that is until I encountered some serious bugs. The first one, which wasn't too bad was when I was exploring an area, I climbed on top of something that was close to the ceiling and poof, I was through the map and I couldn't get in to the map again for maybe 10-15 minutes.

Here comes the biggest and probably the weirdest bug I've ever encountered in a game. So after maybe completing 80% of the game, I headed back to my office which is located near the start of the game. I got to the area where it was and I noticed there was something off, it seemed like the whole had reset, it's like I've never been there before, all the doors were locked, all the enemies had respawned, all the keycards were back where I found them in the first hour of the game, ALL the items (Medkits, ammo, neuromods etc) respawned exactly where they first was. Anyway, so I headed up to my office and when I entered, January (A NPC) says a line that he said when I entered the room for the first time in the game. Then I got a quest, brought up my log and it was the SAME EXACT quest that I got from him the first time I talked to him, except this time I couldn't progress it because there was no prompt to talk to him.

Luckily I could complete the game anyway, though this was very annoying since every 15 minutes or so it seemed like the area kept resetting itself meaning there was ALOT of enemies all the time in that area and there was no point in killing them. There's also and elevator in that room that you power up later in the game which makes it easier to move around in the station, but since the room kept resetting the elevator kept going offline, so I was forced to complete the same quest about 3-4 times to keep making the elevator work.

Now, the last and not as annoying bug, the waypoint. Sometimes it pointed me towards the actual objectives, sometimes it led me to a teapot, sometimes it got stuck on myself and sometimes it just vanished. Which wasn't very helpful when you're looking for something outside of the station, you know, IN SPACE.

The game was easily a 9/10 GOTY for me, but all the problems I encountered disappointed and really annoyed me, so the game gets a 7.5/10 and no chance for a GOTY in my book. I still recommend it because it's a great game.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016

Heres the reason for negative reviews. the were expecting it would be simple game like dead space and bioshock. instead they got modern day system shock.

Sinister Minister

May 20, 2009
B-Cell said:

Heres the reason for negative reviews. the were expecting it would be simple game like dead space and bioshock. instead they got modern day system shock.
No, the reason for them is that they did not enjoy the game or believe it to be as good as you or others did, and you cannot handle the fact that there are enough people that do not share your exact taste and opinions.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Charcharo said:
Here, let me help you:

-Cheaper: Yes, you could make the argument that PC's are cheaper if you have the know-how to cobble one together, but for average joe, PC's are usually purchased in more or less complete form. Right now, your average, pre-made PC, is going to cost much more than even the most expensive console. Even your PC-part picker shows that if I wanted to build an up to date PC from scratch, I'd be spending more than a current gen console (I actually did the calculations, and if they're in USD, that's especially true).

-More Reliable: PCs are finnicky beasts. I know this from personal experience, and in work experience, where system errors aren't exactly common, but they're not unheard of either, and have none a number on library services. The amount of times I've lost data on PC is more times than I care for, and less than a month ago, I had to fix my PC (again) due to the accumulation of dust. Some of the consoles I've had have failed over time, but we're talking timespans of decades here, not years. By extension, there's the 'plug in and play' factor.

-More Compatible: Get a game for a console and it's guaranteed to work. Maybe there's some exceptions, but consoles have the benefit of fixed hardware. I can still buy a game for my Sega Genesis, and be content in the knowledge it'll operate just fine. PC specs vary, so compatability is more iffy. This also helps for backwards compatability, because if I want to play an old game, all I need is the console for it. PC compatability becomes more finnicky after a certain point, and arguably at the time of release. The first PC game I played widely was StarCraft, and even back then, I eventually got it working on my family's then sole computer, but key word on "sole," and "eventually."

-Segregated: What I mean by this is that the PC I'm typing on now is used for a variety of things - in addition to games, I use it for various work and leisure activities. If the PC crashes (and experience has shown that it inevitably will at some point), I'm pretty much boned in these areas, to varying extents. Consoles are an example of not putting all your eggs in one basket. Part of the reason why I still collect physical books for instance - if something happened to my PC or iPad, that isn't going to affect my access to them.

-More Social: This isn't so much a pro for me now, but consoles have always had the advantage over PC with collective play. Yes, you can make the LAN argument, but sitting on the same couch, playing the same game on the same screen, LAN play doesn't generate quite the same feeling.

-Sharing Games: Technically you can do this for PC as well, if you're into piracy, but, well, let's just say there's a reason that video rental stores have console game sections, and not PC ones.

-Exclusives: This is a "technically," since any list of PC pros would have this one as well, but, yes, it's probably worth mentioning.

-Mobility: It's far easier to take round a console to another location and use it than bundling up your PC. Your laptop can get around this though, but that's about it.

I say this as someone who uses the PC and console for different things. PC is more reserved for games that truly benefit from its control scheme (e.g. RTS, MOBA, FPS to an extent), and download-based games (easy to access, easy to use microtransactions when I want, etc.) Consoles tend to be the AAA releases, where the hardware is guaranteed to meet the system requirements, and actually work.

I'm really not looking into starting an argument, since I don't have any particular hardware (or system) loyalty, but it's disingenuous to say that consoles have no advantages. It really depends what kind of advantages you're after.

t850terminator

Nov 21, 2013
idk, but I'm 8 hours in on PC, and its GOTY for me so far.
Oh gaben, I just love being forced to exploit every cheap tactic possible just to get an edge, its been so long since Deus Ex 1 (well, not that long, I still play that :p )

There needs to be more immersive sims.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
I derailed the thread and the not the person trying to prove PC gaming is objectively better in every conceivable way? I just stated games are cheaper on console because I can sell them if I don't like them or when I'm done with them.

t850terminator said:
idk, but I'm 8 hours in on PC, and its GOTY for me so far.
Oh gaben, I just love being forced to exploit every cheap tactic possible just to get an edge, its been so long since Deus Ex 1 (well, not that long, I still play that :p )

There needs to be more immersive sims.
Yeah, it's a lot of fun trying to find ways of dispatching the enemies using the environment around you. I've lured so many mimics into turrets. I found out that a mimic will run into fire only once then avoid it thereafter. I think phantoms will never run into fire. I've carried around a turret, placed it outside the door, and just ran around rooms attracting mimics and lured them out the door to my previously placed turret. I've taken advantage of the "elevators" with phantoms and shoot them as they come up or down chasing me. I can't wait into I get more abilities and items to be even more creative.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Phoenixmgs said:
I derailed the thread and the not the person trying to prove PC gaming is objectively better in every conceivable way? I just stated games are cheaper on console because I can sell them if I don't like them or when I'm done with them.
Really? That's what you did? What guy tried to prove that PC gaming is objectively better in any conceivable way before you let this fart out:

Phoenixmgs said:
It's an Arkane game, you should know what kind games they make by now. I guess the "master race" is the master race because they gave up their ability to own games. If I don't like Prey, I can sell it and probably make money as I think it'll be $38 ($48 at worst) for me at Best Buy today. I guess people getting bored watching developer playthroughs is why games get hyped like Watch Dogs because Ubisoft demoed exact missions from the final game, anyone should've been able to know exactly what Watch Dogs was before purchasing.
Already trying to make this in to a console vs PC argument. You do this alot I've noticed. Then you go ''I didn't hate on PC'' which must be your slogan by now. Watch now as you can't resist to respond to bcell telling him how consoles are better.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Phoenixmgs said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
My friend, please tell me one reason to get a console today apart from few exclusive which i dont even care. PC has better version of every game, KB/M suit best for these types of games. playing FPS with controller is like eating soup with steel spoon instead of soup spoon.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
B-Cell said:
playing FPS with controller is like eating soup with steel spoon instead of soup spoon.
This might be my favourite B-Cell post yet. Never change you beautiful bastard.

On-topic:

Yeah I like me some System Shock-ish things. I was kind of turned off before when changing into a freakin' roll of toilet paper made it look farcical as fuck, and I don't know much about it still. But the vibes I'm getting sit well with me so it's going on my wishlist.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Charcharo said:
*Sigh*
- The privilege of not knowing stuff exists only for rich Americans. Learning how to build a PC is easy. The time investment is small. The knowledge requires is tiny. And RICH people that play on consoles still cant even give THAT much time for it.
I'm not American, I'm Australian. If I WAS rich, I'd have the time and money to dedicate to getting a high-end PC. The reason I haven't, is that:

-The PC I have works fine for every other thing I use it for, and I don't want to risk mucking it up when it's vital for work-related matters

-I do have modern generation consoles to play games that can't be played on the PC due to hardware limitations

There's also the idea of cost-benefit analysis. I can put in $X amount to get a piece of hardware that's guaranteed to work, but is limited, or $Y amount in getting more powerful, but less reliable hardware. I value reliability over power, hence why I usually go for the console version of games. It doesn't help that hardware Y is more expensive as a net total than hardware X.

Charcharo said:
-The compatibility part is a joke an deserves no addressing. If I wanted such levels of technical knowledge, i'd visit WCCFTech :p
*No offense but it is really bad
Do you know how many console games I've played that aren't compatible with the console they were bought for? Zero.

PC compatability can be worked around, but it's a longer, more arduous process. PC's win for backwards compatability right now, but it's a finnicky process, even for games that were released in sync with up to date hardware. For instance, it took the better part of a day to install Diablo III, and then I had to shift through the game's txt files and alter a single digit just to get it to work.

Charcharo said:
-Crashing is solved by restarting the PC and happens very rarely. Even on my old poorly made by 13 year old me with English as his third language PC, i get no random crashes....
Lucky you. However, PCs are still nowhere near as reliable as other forms of hardware. I say this as someone who has to work with PCs for a living.

Charcharo said:
-PC has more split screen games than any single console...
I've played splitscreen games at someone's desk. It's not very condusive to social playing.

Charcharo said:
-A laptop is more mobile. Small Form Factor PCs exist... :p
Your average laptop isn't going to match the high-end, extremely expensive PC that's required to play cutting edge games. The average laptop that does, is even more expensive than a PC (as someone who checked this up recently, it comes to around $2000 AUD).

Charcharo said:
Werent AAA releases supposed to be "muh graphics" and performance? If so... how is their ugly Console version relevant? I mean the PC I sent you on PCPartpicker will win vs the PS4 Pro any day of the week and is 3 times the power of a normal PS4...
I don't really care about graphics or performance - AAA is more a designation for any 'major game', so to speak, said games requiring high-end hardware, and plenty of storage space. As I said earlier, I value reliability more than power.

Charcharo said:
You people overestimate requirements, underestimate hardware and overestimate AAA games it seems. That is the root cause of the problem. Hell my 2009 PC can play some new AAA games...

It is disingenuous for the extremely rich Americans to talk about console and PC price comparisons as well as undermine the long term value of the art form for everyone.
"You people." Huh. Also, you really hate Americans it seems. As established, I'm not American, and I'm not particuarly rich, but I can say that I'm not so insecure that I have to resort to slurs to people who use...different hardware. Christ, if only I'd known that everyone who doesn't use the devices I'd use was one of "those people."

Also, the idea of undermining the long term value of the art form. Yeah, okay, I'm not disputing games are an art form, what I am disputing is the idea that the means of playing them is relevant. It's like saying that the quality of any other art form is dependent on the devices used to convey it (music, film, visual art, etc.). If anything, the idea that interactive entertainment should only be confined to one piece of hardware comes off as being far more detrimental, because you're inherently limiting it to people with the know-how to use it. This would be particuarly limiting for children, considering that they have less know-how, less purchasing power, and less direct control over time use. If, in your ideal world, games were only released on PC, I'd have never been able to play anything bar the likes of 'The Magic Schoolbus Explores the Solar System', because when your family has only one computer, and that computer is primarily used for work-related matters, you're not going to be able to spend much time playing games.

I suppose I'm limiting literature by reading both physically and on Kindle...actually, which one is the "master book race" in this analogy? I dunno, there's no "reader" identity in the same way as "gamer," (thankfully, the entire concept of a "gamer" is bad enough), and people who read books don't tend to be as tribalistic.

B-Cell said:
playing FPS with controller is like eating soup with steel spoon instead of soup spoon.
Um, eating soup with a steel spoon is quite easy. Just saying...

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Really? That's what you did? What guy tried to prove that PC gaming is objectively better in any conceivable way before you let this fart out:

Phoenixmgs said:
It's an Arkane game, you should know what kind games they make by now. I guess the "master race" is the master race because they gave up their ability to own games. If I don't like Prey, I can sell it and probably make money as I think it'll be $38 ($48 at worst) for me at Best Buy today. I guess people getting bored watching developer playthroughs is why games get hyped like Watch Dogs because Ubisoft demoed exact missions from the final game, anyone should've been able to know exactly what Watch Dogs was before purchasing.
Already trying to make this in to a console vs PC argument. You do this alot I've noticed. Then you go ''I didn't hate on PC'' which must be your slogan by now. Watch now as you can't resist to respond to bcell telling him how consoles are better.
If it wasn't for quite the amount of users on the site hating on consoles, I wouldn't have to make such posts. Again, the pros for consoles is why I prefer them so FOR ME, consoles are better. I've never said or tried to prove that consoles are objectively better. There's 2 people here trying to say PCs are objectively better. In my defense, this is a B-Cell thread with a WAB video review, it was bound to turn into such a thread anyways. I actually sorta like the WAB guy even when his bias are sorta opposite of mine like him hating 3rd-person games while I prefer them. I can read between the lines and pull out some useful info most of the time from his reviews, which is more than I can say for most game reviews. I'm guessing B-Cell won't start a thread about his Sexy Brutale review.

B-Cell said:
My friend, please tell me one reason to get a console today apart from few exclusive which i dont even care. PC has better version of every game, KB/M suit best for these types of games. playing FPS with controller is like eating soup with steel spoon instead of soup spoon.
I actually OWN my console games...

I guess you suck with a controller...