PREY is getting Excellent reviews from everywhere

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Hawki said:
Do you know how many console games I've played that aren't compatible with the console they were bought for? Zero.

PC compatability can be worked around, but it's a longer, more arduous process. PC's win for backwards compatability right now, but it's a finnicky process, even for games that were released in sync with up to date hardware. For instance, it took the better part of a day to install Diablo III, and then I had to shift through the game's txt files and alter a single digit just to get it to work.
I had a similar issue with Diablo 3, my buddy that got it when it came out on PS4 definitely didn't have to worry about that, though I still much prefer the PC version.

I can give a couple more I've run into recently: I had to disable ports in my PC settings in order to play Titanfall 2, basically killed my interest in the games multiplayer as turning them off and on again felt like a waste of time. A graphics card driver update caused weird graphical glitches for me in Dragon Age: Inquisition, basically no fix for it beyond reverting to a previous driver version, which nuked my FPS in Witcher 3 at the time, luckily a later driver version seems to have fixed it. Tyranny would not play on my primary monitor and would only play on my far left hand monitor, forcing me to either move my keyboard and mouse, just to play that one game, or what I ended up doing which was just waiting for a patch.

A bit older, but I had to take my physical copy of the Witcher 2 and copy everything on to a thumb drive on a totally different computer as for some reason my physical drive would not read the disc the game was on, it was only ever that one game too, never had an issue with it reading anything else. I well exceeded the specs and it still took me a week of fiddling with files, settings, and patch versions to get S.T.A.L.K.E.R to run more than 10 frames per second. Also the days of messing with DOS emulators to prevent old games from running way too fast as the actual games speed seemed to be tied to the FPS.

Finally, something to do with my motherboard fucked up punkbuster for the longest time back in the day, it was a hardware issue that caused a number of primarily online games, mostly Battlefield games to hard lock my entire computer after about 30 minutes of play, requiring me to restart my entire system, that issue pretty much killed most of my interest in the entire Battlefield series for years.

I love my PC, but god damn are some issues time consuming to fix, I work 40+ hours a week, as I get older I find that rather than fiddling with a PC compatibility issue or PC specific issues, I'll just play the game on console instead, luckily it seems to happen less than it did 10+ years ago, but holy fuck can PCs be frustrating sometimes.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Apologies for the off-topic tangent, B-Cell, but others responded so I thought I might as well.
Charcharo said:
Yet to see anyone bar very rich people say otherwise.
...wow, this thread must be a revelation for you, then.

There is nothing it does better. Inferior hardware and engineering, worse (if any) backwards compatibility, worse (if any) modding, zero to none emulation, mortal and without any hope of a long term future.
Thankfully emulators will save our art form long term. But not cause consoles helped. To add insult to injury consoles are for rich people to boot, hence why Poor Eastern Europe is PC Gaming land.
You really do sound like you've got a chip - or several - on your shoulder/s, or you may not have a very good knowledge of gaming history - or you don't care and just have an incredibly selective, myopic view of the medium.

"But not cause consoles helped" the medium? Riiiight, because neither Nintendo, Sony, Sega, or MS ever had anything worthwhile to add over the decades...

You do acknowledge gaming's sheer breadth, right, essentially what gaming is? As in; gaming exists from browser apps, mobile freebies, handhelds, consoles, and monster hi-end PC's? The uniqueness of this medium is its phenomenal versatility and variety, which no other medium can quite match. Ergo every single tier of what this medium 'is' has a role to play, and an audience entertained by it.

Perhaps consider the radical/not-so-radical notion that people care about, and engage with, this medium in many different ways.

As for the dreary comparison between PC's and consoles (when no comparison is really needed - both will continue for the foreseeable future, both have added greatly to the medium), here's why I personally can't stand PC's and have almost always gamed on consoles: I hate keyboards and mouse - it's like using a garden hoe for a paperweight... it wasn't the object's originally designed intention, and it shows - keys'n'mouse are, to me, nothing more than office implements. A game pad is a dedicated device for gaming[footnote]Is it perfect? Hell no! Sadly all interfaces are imperfect, and always a compromise. But it is, at least, native to an entertainment medium.[/footnote].

Ease of use: on XB1 I press one button to turn the thing on, it boots faster than my laptops or any desktop I've owned, and then if I want to play the current game I whack another button. Two presses, and I'm in the game, EA stylee. Sod PC sign-ins, sod all the other junk OS's throw at you, sod manually arranging files and trying [in vain] to keep desktops from being cluttered, and so on...

Lack of responsibility: this may sound like an odd one, but frankly, I don't want to be responsible for expensive tech going nuts. I don't want to fix it, and I don't want to be responsible for things going wrong... I had a kit PC many years ago and whilst initially fun it turned into a bit of a nightmare, though the MS virus known only as 'Vista' played a part in that as well. Even with vanilla PC's and laptops there's all sorts of things I could make go wrong if I wasn't careful, and didn't want to learn how the damn things function in every sense of the word.

With consoles? I press a button to turn the thing on - I press a button to turn it off. Sometimes I delete stuff from the drive! Sometimes I clear caches, which pretty much involves the same power button. There is nothing I can 'do' to upset it, short of actually kicking it across the room or pouring water on it... It just does its thang, and I leave it well alone. If it breaks, I send it off to get unbroken.

I like not being responsible for its--- er, technological mental health.

Do you pay a little extra for that hands-off convenience? Sure, but that's fine - our species pays extra for conveniences all the time, and always will do (DIY maintenance on consoles is also doable for various things, though I try my hardest to never engage with it).

Freebie mobile games, handhelds, consoles, wacky VR systems, whatever Nintendo are doing, PC's, and the two main consoles - all have their place in this medium, all catering to various people in various ways. Isn't that, surely, what makes this "artform" - as you so delicately label it - so special?

...now for a veritable bombshell: I'd rather consoles died off. But the evolutionary path I'd want to see is probably something you might not like (it ostensibly includes the death of conventional console and PC gaming, in terms of physical platforms), and frankly it's a rather idealistic vision of a truly unified medium, and there's no need to go into it here/now.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
B-Cell said:
playing FPS with controller is like eating soup with steel spoon instead of soup spoon.
Hmmm, I see. In that case, I present to you ...

Alliterative appeal aside, these are quite common, you know. Pretty much anywhere spoons are used.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
I'd love to buy this game but I can not and will not financially support Denuvo. Or even Steam for that matter. Strictly DRM free purchases for me.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
B-Cell said:
playing FPS with controller is like eating soup with steel spoon instead of soup spoon.
This might be my favourite B-Cell post yet. Never change you beautiful bastard.

On-topic:

Yeah I like me some System Shock-ish things. I was kind of turned off before when changing into a freakin' roll of toilet paper made it look farcical as fuck, and I don't know much about it still. But the vibes I'm getting sit well with me so it's going on my wishlist.
I legit cant tell whether I'm missing something profound, or it was just the dumbest analogy ever. This is excellent.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Phoenixmgs said:
I actually OWN my console games...

I guess you suck with a controller...
1) I also own my console and PC games

2) you can always use a controller on PC

Dalsyne

Jul 13, 2015
I've heard and seen almost nothing of Prey for years and then it's suddenly both released and... good?

Welp. I'll wait for more opinions, but I'm considering getting it.

On the PC vs console debate: ever since Steam introduced refunds it's been a bit of a stretch to say consoles have significant advantages. They might, if you live in a country with a strong console market and don't really care about keeping the games you own... but if you do...

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
RaikuFA said:
Plus a few more hundred every few months for a graphics card.
you don't have to do this though. like why would you buy a new GPU every few months?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Bombiz said:
RaikuFA said:
you don't have to do this though. like why would you buy a new GPU every few months?
Because apparently you're not a real PC gamer if you don't do that. Just like how I'm not a real PC gamer for not knowing how to fix my 4 year old PC that decided to kaput on me.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Hawki said:
For instance, it took the better part of a day to install Diablo III
What? how? all I had to do was install the battlenet launcher then run the D3 installer from that.
Phoenixmgs said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Really? That's what you did? What guy tried to prove that PC gaming is objectively better in any conceivable way before you let this fart out:

Phoenixmgs said:
It's an Arkane game, you should know what kind games they make by now. I guess the "master race" is the master race because they gave up their ability to own games. If I don't like Prey, I can sell it and probably make money as I think it'll be $38 ($48 at worst) for me at Best Buy today. I guess people getting bored watching developer playthroughs is why games get hyped like Watch Dogs because Ubisoft demoed exact missions from the final game, anyone should've been able to know exactly what Watch Dogs was before purchasing.
Already trying to make this in to a console vs PC argument. You do this alot I've noticed. Then you go ''I didn't hate on PC'' which must be your slogan by now. Watch now as you can't resist to respond to bcell telling him how consoles are better.
If it wasn't for quite the amount of users on the site hating on consoles, I wouldn't have to make such posts. Again, the pros for consoles is why I prefer them so FOR ME, consoles are better. I've never said or tried to prove that consoles are objectively better. There's 2 people here trying to say PCs are objectively better. In my defense, this is a B-Cell thread with a WAB video review, it was bound to turn into such a thread anyways. I actually sorta like the WAB guy even when his bias are sorta opposite of mine like him hating 3rd-person games while I prefer them. I can read between the lines and pull out some useful info most of the time from his reviews, which is more than I can say for most game reviews. I'm guessing B-Cell won't start a thread about his Sexy Brutale review.
considering that was your first post in this thread I don't really see that as a defence.
no one here was talking about how PC's where better than consoles until that post showed up.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
RaikuFA said:
Bombiz said:
RaikuFA said:
Because apparently you're not a real PC gamer if you don't do that. Just like how I'm not a real PC gamer for not knowing how to fix my 4 year old PC that decided to kaput on me.
what?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Bombiz said:
RaikuFA said:
Bombiz said:
RaikuFA said:
what?
You heard me. I have been told in various places (even on this site) that if you are not upgrading your graphics card every few months, you are not a PC gamer.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Phoenixmgs said:
If it wasn't for quite the amount of users on the site hating on consoles, I wouldn't have to make such posts. Again, the pros for consoles is why I prefer them so FOR ME, consoles are better. I've never said or tried to prove that consoles are objectively better. There's 2 people here trying to say PCs are objectively better. In my defense, this is a B-Cell thread with a WAB video review, it was bound to turn into such a thread anyways. I actually sorta like the WAB guy even when his bias are sorta opposite of mine like him hating 3rd-person games while I prefer them. I can read between the lines and pull out some useful info most of the time from his reviews, which is more than I can say for most game reviews. I'm guessing B-Cell won't start a thread about his Sexy Brutale review.
So because you think the site is ''filled'' with PC fanboys, you decide to to bring up PC vs consoles in a completely unrelated thread? Yeah that makes perfect sense, I think we've had this exact conversation before. Literally NO ONE cares or asked you to bring up why you prefer consoles, you brought it up out of nowhere. Those people only started arguing about PCvsConsoles because you started it.

RaikuFA said:
Bombiz said:
RaikuFA said:
Bombiz said:
RaikuFA said:
what?
You heard me. I have been told in various places (even on this site) that if you are not upgrading your graphics card every few months, you are not a PC gamer.
I've also been told that I'm the cancer of gaming because I enjoy Call of Duty from various places, that doesn't make it true or any less ridiculous.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
RaikuFA said:
Bombiz said:
RaikuFA said:
Bombiz said:
RaikuFA said:
what?
then don't listen to those people. it's like saying if you don't buy next-gen that you're not a console gamer, it's ludicrous. don't let PCMR people ruin PC for you.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Bombiz said:
Phoenixmgs said:
I actually OWN my console games...

I guess you suck with a controller...
1) I also own my console and PC games
Link me to where I can buy the PC version of Prey and actually own it, meaning I can sell it if I don't like it or when I'm done playing it.

Bombiz said:
no one here was talking about how PC's where better than consoles until that post showed up.
Where did I say consoles were better than PCs?

BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
So because you think the site is ''filled'' with PC fanboys, you decide to to bring up PC vs consoles in a completely unrelated thread? Yeah that makes perfect sense, I think we've had this exact conversation before. Literally NO ONE cares or asked you to bring up why you prefer consoles, you brought it up out of nowhere. Those people only started arguing about PCvsConsoles because you started it.
The site is filled with PC fanboys considering that even another user "fixed" one of my messages to say that. In that message I didn't even say consoles were better, I just said I have the freedom to sell my games that was it.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Bombiz said:
RaikuFA said:
Bombiz said:
RaikuFA said:
Bombiz said:
RaikuFA said:
what?
then don't listen to those people. it's like saying if you don't buy next-gen that you're not a console gamer, it's ludicrous. don't let PCMR people ruin PC for you.
Too late my PC is broken and I refuse to fix it.