Price Cut Announcement Halves 3DS Sales

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Wrong, I count the Wii as a big console. But I don't think that by any stretch of the imagination that the Nintendo DS, DSi, 3DS, 3DSi, 3Dddsddsssiiidsdidsss was popular. The Wii outsold all of them combined... probably. And it's not just my opinion, they aren't selling for a reason... And I believe that this is it.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
JonnWood said:
That seems counterintuitive, considering what price cuts have done to previous products like the Gamecube. To quote Adam Sessler, it started selling like hotcakes. Hotcakes covered in crack.

Robert Ewing said:
It's all based around gimmicks. And the breaking point here... It's just not a cool console to own... Nobody wants one. It's a very closed sub-culture that are the fan base for this sort of thing. Nintendo need to concentrate on getting the sheep to buy their stuff, by making machines bigger, more powerful, and prettier.
So they can either try and be innovative, or go for the standard bigger-stick approach.

It's a sad, bleak world you live in, and apparently one where the Wii was an abject failure trying this exact same strategy, which Nintendo inexplicably tried to repeat with the 3DS.
Wrong, I count the Wii as a big console. But I don't think that by any stretch of the imagination that the Nintendo DS, DSi, 3DS, 3DSi, 3Dddsddsssiiidsdidsss was popular. The Wii outsold all of them combined... probably. And it's not just my opinion, they aren't selling for a reason... And I believe that this is it.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Robert Ewing said:
JonnWood said:
That seems counterintuitive, considering what price cuts have done to previous products like the Gamecube. To quote Adam Sessler, it started selling like hotcakes. Hotcakes covered in crack.

Robert Ewing said:
It's all based around gimmicks. And the breaking point here... It's just not a cool console to own... Nobody wants one. It's a very closed sub-culture that are the fan base for this sort of thing. Nintendo need to concentrate on getting the sheep to buy their stuff, by making machines bigger, more powerful, and prettier.
So they can either try and be innovative, or go for the standard bigger-stick approach.

It's a sad, bleak world you live in, and apparently one where the Wii was an abject failure trying this exact same strategy, which Nintendo inexplicably tried to repeat with the 3DS.
Except the 3ds is bigger, more powerful, and prettier, with the 3D option as a bonus.

Also, I blame Yahtzee's misinformed garble about Nintendo for making "gimmick" and "rehash" have absolutely no meaning whatsoever.

And the Nintendo DS was and is an outrageously popular system.

XSin

Jul 21, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Nearly half of the respondents said that they thought the 3DS' current game line up is anemic and, despite the promise of future titles, they are still "disappointed" with the system.
I must be tired or something because I did a quick google but I still couldn't figure out how a lineup could be "anemic", it doesn't make sense to me as a metaphor =/

moseythepirate

Jul 4, 2011
30 percent aren't satisfied with the 20 free games?
Huh.
What about the other 70 percent?

I love my 3DS, and bought it because of the great games coming out in the future. MGS3, Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion 2, Paper Mario. Oodles and gobs of great games on the way.
I like how people are writing it off within the first year. Remember PS3's first year? Some people thought it would be the death of Sony's games division. Don't be so hasty.

I'll also add that I have never had a problem with playing with 3D on for hours at a time. It's as if I'm more used to seeing the world it 3D than 2D! Wacky, huh?
I'm pretty sure that getting migraines from playing with the 3D on is directly caused by weak moral fiber. Seriously, weakeyes, view the screen as a window opening outward and maybe you'll have a better time of it.

John Chambers IV

Mar 26, 2011
I believe the only reason for the loss of sales is Megaman Legends 3 is no longer coming out it was canceled and for me I was only really buying it for that I'm thinking of selling my 3ds but I have a game for it now.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
XSin said:
Grey Carter said:
Nearly half of the respondents said that they thought the 3DS' current game line up is anemic and, despite the promise of future titles, they are still "disappointed" with the system.
I must be tired or something because I did a quick google but I still couldn't figure out how a lineup could be "anemic", it doesn't make sense to me as a metaphor =/
It means lacking in vitality or vigor. It's a legitimate use of the word. That being said, the current 3DS line up is lacking in red blood cells too, so either way is fine.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Charles LaRue said:
I like how people are writing it off within the first year. Remember PS3's first year?
Remember the Virtual Boy's first year . . . . just saying.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Xzi said:
15.3% of those without a 3DS were miserable gits, and said they wouldn't purchase a 3DS regardless of price.
I'm one of those miserable gits.

*Taps foot while waiting on PS Vita.*
But what makes the Vita more special for a gamer? More control schemes than you have fingers? Better graphics? Rehashes of Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Modnation Racers, Wipeout, etc. as opposed to rehashes of Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, etc.?

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Hey, Ninty! Your new handheld is an overpriced, gimmicky brick that doesn't have jack shit for games! It killed Mega Man Legends 3, and now nobody wants to buy it until you give it to them for free!

The only way for you to pull your asses out of this fire is if you give in to the Operation: Rainfall guys. You already licensed Xenoblade in NA, now hurry up and start working on The Last Story and... I forget what the third one is, but license that one too!

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
Mario Kart 7-December 2011
Super Mario 3d-november 2011
Star Fox 64 3d-September 9th 2011
Kid Icarus uprising- Holiday 2011
Tales of the Abyss
Shin Megami Tensi Devil Survivor Overcloked
And I think their are several others Im missing but bassically with these upcoming games and Ocarina of time 3DS is already out
Nintendo is giving it all the first party support they can and their are a few third party titles as well, if this thing doesnt take off a christmas then the handheld market has been taken over by smartphones and Soney should get out while they can, but Nintendo has a good shot this christmas.

DarkArk

May 3, 2011
Just give me a damn Advance Wars game or equivalent. That will be the ultimate make or break with the 3DS for me. The silence from Intelligent Systems is annoying.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Wait, people are angry? Don't they know how electronics work? We pay more for the opportunity to have the latest and greatest, and others pay less to have it later.

If you didn't think it was worth it at 250, then it is your fault for buying it. I myself am quite happy with my 3DS.

Robert Ewing said:
JonnWood said:

Robert Ewing said:

Are you daft?

Nintendo DS 147.86 million, as of 30 June 2011
Wii 87.57 million as of 30 June 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
dear nintendo.
provide me a reason to upgrade from my original DS (the fat one), make it reasonably priced for a uni student on the pension and i will upgrade.

i mean seriously, the 3D would make me ill, the scratches would annoy me, there is no games i would purchase, the essential DRM would annoy me to no end as the internet has been constantly dropping out over the last month and will probably be like that for a while longer.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
ares5566 said:
I really hope this is the death of nintendo all they've done in the past couple years was make smash brawl and wind waker along with a bunch of crappy consoles and took alot of franchises that couldve been alot better if they were mainstream I.E. Resident evil zero and sonic.

If Nintendo survived these, why do you think they could die from something mild like this?

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
It was like Nintendo came knocking on the door of their old fanclub with the 3DS

"H.. h.... heeeey... guys?... we decided to take your advice you gave us for our next console after the Gamecube, and add it to the DS, it's now 3D more powerful and makes your game experience better"

"Hmm sounds alright, what games you got for it?"

"Well we got Ocarina o-"

"Played it to death, what else?"

"Well thats about it for-"

*slams door shut*

But yeah, I'm not getting a 3DS any time soon, I was one of the few Nintendo fans hanging onto threads, and I was willing to get the 3DS on release, despite it's huge price tag. But I saw the games and decided I could put the money to far far better use.

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
3DS is like the PS3 of the handhelds.

N'ways, waiting the revised version, more games, better prices.