Price Cut Announcement Halves 3DS Sales

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Ok, three things:

1: Of course this was going to happen. They announced a price cut, and now people are waiting for said price cut. Once that price cut occurs (and, y'know, the actual big games come out... Seriously, Nintendo, launching a system in March and having all the big games come out in November?), the sales will increase. Plus, all this will happen around the holiday time, and since the Vita has been pushed back, that's one very big obstacle out of the way for the holiday rush.

2:
DanDeFool said:
Hey, Ninty! Your new handheld is an overpriced, gimmicky brick that doesn't have jack shit for games! It killed Mega Man Legends 3, and now nobody wants to buy it until you give it to them for free!
a: Well, besides the better graphics, the better controls, the online shop, the improved online system and the fact that you can shut the 3D off (why do people have such a hard time understanding this?!), and the price cut... still, yeah, the "no games" part is at least true for now.

b: Nintendo and 3DS had nothing to do with Mega Man Legends 3 being canceled. That was Capcom being stupid. The biggest dick move in a long list of recent dick moves by Capcom.

3:
DarkArk said:
Just give me a damn Advance Wars game or equivalent. That will be the ultimate make or break with the 3DS for me. The silence from Intelligent Systems is annoying.
This man is right. I would love another Advance Wars game or another Fire Emblem. Maybe once Intelligent Systems is done with the new Paper Mario game, they can move on to one of those series. *Crosses fingers*

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Nintendo need to evolve. People buy there consoles/handhelds and await the next Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and Metroid game. Thats all. Nothing new. They also release a new handheld in todays climate with a shitty 3D thing that gives people headaches that you can only play on a stable surface with no good games to play and noing that the Wii U is being released next year.

Good luck with that. No one has the money. An i think people are getting fed up with the lack of games. Yes the Mario, Zelda etc games are awesome. But we want more different titles. Not the same ones that are changed a little. Their is a Mario cart 7 coming out? Who buys this stuff? Release the 3DS or the WiiU with awesome games. It will sell like crazy. Just like the PS1....awesome first line of games at launch.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
MarsProbe said:
Good heavens, I really don't like Nintendo. I sincerely hope the 3DS eventually crashes spectacularly and the Wii U turns out to be a cheap plasticy piece of tat that joins its predecessor abandonded at the back of the cupboard.

Hmm, I wonder what kind of response I could possibly get for this post? :)
You deserve to burn in hell?

I think hating Nintendo for the sake of hating Nintendo is just stupid. While I don't want Nintendo to fail, there are reasons I don't really like them right now.

1. The DS family still had plenty of life in them without needing to rush out the 3DS. People are still buying DS systems.
2. 3DS had the same problem as the PS3: no games at launch. If the developers needed another half a year before the games would be ready, then wait half a year.
2.1 lack of first party name recognition at launch. None of the big Nintendo franchizes were there.
2.2 Not even all of the software inside the 3DS was ready when the thing launched. (We're going to have ALL OF THIS STUFF usable on the 3DS... about a month and a half after the system is released...)
3. lack of fan recognition on the Wii (we didn't need 50 THOUSAND versions of Wii Sports to be released by different developers). We just wanted good games.
3.1 Project Rainfall.

I really want Nintendo to do well; I don't want to see any of the current big gaming 3 failing, but they are just mishandling everything right now. I guess I am one of the few lucky people who have no problem with the 3D on the system. I was playing my friends copy of Ocarina 3D for almost an hour with the 3D at full. I'm still not going to buy one until there are any good games out, but I really don't have a problem with it. If there had been good games at launch or within the first 3 months I would have had no problem buying the thing at the full price.

And to everyone wanting the Vita, why? If you're going to get the Vita for the sake of getting the Vita then you're not any better than the people who picked up the 3DS for the sake of having a 3DS. Do any of you people have a PSP? do any of you even remember the PSP? Those games were CRAP at launch. When I saw the e3 announcement of the Vita, I just remembered the same exact thing happened with the PSP. It was almost the same show. After the show the Sony fanatics were all up in arms chanting, "THE PSP IS GOING TO KICK THE LITTLE KIDDY DS' ASS!!! WE GOT BETTER GRAPHICS, HIGHER FRAMERATE AND THE PSP ALL SORTS OF BONUS FEATURES!!! THE DS DOESN'T STAND A CHANCE!!!" And we all know how that battle turned out. There is no point in deciding a victor until we've actually gone through a few battles. And even then it is too early.

Sure, eventually I'm going to get a 3DS and I'll possibly also get a Vita down the line (I did eventually get a PSP). I'm just going to wait until there are games I actually like. I didn't get a DS until lite and I didn't get a PSP until 3000 (actually I think the Go was being announced...). I'm surprised that the Vita fanboys haven't learned that from the example of Megaman Legends 3.

Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, fanboys; it just seems like no one knows how to just wait anymore...

Zouriz

Apr 28, 2011
JackSparrowSucks said:
Zouriz said:
Man people are really jumping the gun on this doom and gloom thing. How about waiting a year before calling the system dead. Come to think of it, didn't the PS2, PS3, and DS have a much worse launch then this?
WHAT THE FACK?

The PS2 launch was excellent, so excellent that they're was a massive shortage in the beginning.
The DS launch picked up gradually in a few seconds; from "good" to "amazing".
The PS3, after tons of price cuts, now has sold a wee bit less units then the Xbox 360.
I am talking about their LAUNCHES, not their entire run. Don't you remember the HUGE game drought the DS had. The system only really took off when NSMB came out. The PS2 didn't really have a good launch line up. Sure there where shortages for the system, but the games were lackluster. It look a long time for the PS3 to get its footing, and didn't have a stand out library for a long while.

moseythepirate

Jul 4, 2011
You know, I've seen tons of people say that they don't want to try the 3D because it makes their weak, atrophied eyeballs hurt, and only 2 who did and didn't like it. One eventually came around, and the other hasn't spent enough time with the system. It just seems to me that people are demonizing the device without personal foundation. Yes, I'll agree it's a gimmick. You know what else is a gimmick by the same logic? High-definition. But they're both great gimmicks that vastly improve the experience. Games just look better with 3D. Not to sound like an ass about it, but I simply don't understand how people can get eyestrain from a 3D effect when that is what their eyes use by default. It never happened to me, though on the other hand I spent a few months playing around with the 3D camera before I actually bought a 3D game, so maybe my eyes got used to seeing the screen as a window on the world instead of whatever other people's eyes do.

Sorry, just spillin.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Mr. Omega said:
2:
DanDeFool said:
Hey, Ninty! Your new handheld is an overpriced, gimmicky brick that doesn't have jack shit for games! It killed Mega Man Legends 3, and now nobody wants to buy it until you give it to them for free!
a: Well, besides the better graphics, the better controls, the online shop, the improved online system and the fact that you can shut the 3D off (why do people have such a hard time understanding this?!), and the price cut... still, yeah, the "no games" part is at least true for now.

b: Nintendo and 3DS had nothing to do with Mega Man Legends 3 being canceled. That was Capcom being stupid. The biggest dick move in a long list of recent dick moves by Capcom.
I think you may have forgotten that <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109512-Capcom-Killing-Mega-Man-Legends-3-If-Prototype-Version-Doesnt-Sell>Capcom promised to kill Mega Man Legends 3 if the prototype version, which was only available on the 3DS online store, didn't sell well enough. I had heard (from LRR's Checkpoint on PATV) that the official reason the project was killed was due to "a lack of fan involvement", and I kind of assumed that meant, "nobody bought the prototype version".

Whether or not that was actually the cause of Capcom's decision I have no idea, but I think it's reasonable to assume that a good part Capcom's decision to continue funding the MML3 project hinged on the 3DS becoming a widely-adopted system. And it wasn't. Not even close.

Whether you want to call it a dick move on Capcom's part for deciding to release the system on the 3DS instead of a system people already own, like the Wii (which needs this kind of game like Catholic priests need sex with little boys); or you want to blame it on Nintendo, who probably forced Capcom to commit MML3 to a 3DS release in the first place; you're probably right either way.

Bottom line, it sucks. Just like the 3DS sucks. It may have a superior control scheme to the original DS, and the 3D feature might only be an option, but none of that matters because THE DAMN THING DOESN'T HAVE ANY GAMES! HARDWARE DOESN'T MEAN JACK SHIT IF YOU DON'T HAVE GAMES! And that's probably because Nintendo is forcing all the developers who want to create games for the 3DS to use the 3D feature AND the touchpad AND the dual screens, which just makes this shit harder on them.

This happened with the Virtual Boy, and it's happening now with the 3DS (albeit, to a lesser extent). It's bad innovation. Smartphone App Store and XBLA/Steam indie/PSN games (as an example) were a good innovation because they were easy to make and cheap to buy, so lots of people made them and they had a big market. The 3DS is bad innovation, because 3DS games are ESPECIALLY hard to make, and they aren't going to be cheap, which limits your market. Bottom line, I doubt the 3DS will ever become as popular or relevant as the original DS, because Nintendo pushed the tech envelope too hard, too soon.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
DanDeFool said:
Mr. Omega said:
2:
DanDeFool said:

I think you may have forgotten that <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109512-Capcom-Killing-Mega-Man-Legends-3-If-Prototype-Version-Doesnt-Sell>Capcom promised to kill Mega Man Legends 3 if the prototype version, which was only available on the 3DS online store, didn't sell well enough. I had heard (from LRR's Checkpoint on PATV) that the official reason the project was killed was due to "a lack of fan involvement", and I kind of assumed that meant, "nobody bought the prototype version".
A fair assumption, but incorrect. Nobody bought the Prototype version. You know why? They never released the Prototype version. It is kinda hard to sell something that never was released, after all...

Whether or not that was actually the cause of Capcom's decision I have no idea, but I think it's reasonable to assume that a good part Capcom's decision to continue funding the MML3 project hinged on the 3DS becoming a widely-adopted system. And it wasn't. Not even close.
Neither of us know how Capcom came to this choice, or any of the other stupid choices they've made recently, so I'll just leave that one alone. You can speculate all you want, I can't really argue without speculating myself.

Whether you want to call it a dick move on Capcom's part for deciding to release the system on the 3DS instead of a system people already own, like the Wii (which needs this kind of game like Catholic priests need sex with little boys);
1: Real classy...
2: Isn't that kinda the point of a system seller? To sell a system? Lord knows a lot of people on this site alone were considering getting a 3DS for Legends 3. That's like saying "Oh why make a game for the PS3 when everyone already has a PS2?"
3: Yes, I would call it a dick move on Capcom's part. Not for the reason you listed, but I would call it one.

or you want to blame it on Nintendo, who probably forced Capcom to commit MML3 to a 3DS release in the first place; you're probably right either way.
And now you're trying to use speculation as justification. "Well, MAYBE Nintendo forced Capcom to do it, so that means it's Nintendo's fault!" The fact that you are trying that lets me know any further attempts to argue would be a big waste of time. Keep blaming Nintendo for Capcom's stupidity. It's clear that silly little things like facts and common sense aren't going to stop you.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Mr. Omega said:
DanDeFool said:
A fair assumption, but incorrect. Nobody bought the Prototype version. You know why? They never released the Prototype version. It is kinda hard to sell something that never was released, after all...
I didn't realize the prototype version never came out. New one on me, pal.

Whether you want to call it a dick move on Capcom's part for deciding to release the system on the 3DS instead of a system people already own, like the Wii (which needs this kind of game like Catholic priests need sex with little boys);
1: Real classy...
What can I say? I'm a classy guy. XP
2: Isn't that kinda the point of a system seller? To sell a system? Lord knows a lot of people on this site alone were considering getting a 3DS for Legends 3. That's like saying "Oh why make a game for the PS3 when everyone already has a PS2?"

3: Yes, I would call it a dick move on Capcom's part. Not for the reason you listed, but I would call it one.
Capcom's the system seller? I thought they sold games. Pretty sure it's Nintendo's job to sell the 3DS, not Capcom's. Not to say they can't enlist Capcom to help them do that, which they probably did (see below).

Anyway, my thinking behind this was if Capcom wanted to sell a lot of copies of one of their most popular franchises, they'd develop it for a system that a lot of people already own, AND was still relevant. The Wii would be an excellent example of this, but...

or you want to blame it on Nintendo, who probably forced Capcom to commit MML3 to a 3DS release in the first place; you're probably right either way.
And now you're trying to use speculation as justification. "Well, MAYBE Nintendo forced Capcom to do it, so that means it's Nintendo's fault!" The fact that you are trying that lets me know any further attempts to argue would be a big waste of time. Keep blaming Nintendo for Capcom's stupidity. It's clear that silly little things like facts and common sense aren't going to stop you.
If you're referring to the fact that Capcom already developed Street Fighter 4 and Resident Evil: Mercenaries for the 3DS then... well, that's actually a good point. They probably had some kind of mutual agreement in place long before the 3DS was actually released, probably both of them anticipating that the 3DS would do well. So while SF4 and RE:Mercs were raking in the cash on Ninty's hot new handheld, Capcom would have plenty of income to give MML3 a full budget.

But then Japan got hit by an earthquake/tsunami/nuclear meltdown, leaving money and resources extremely tight for just about every Japanese corporation, and people didn't adopt the 3DS as fast as Nintendo assumed they would. That means less money coming in for Capcom and more of their money going to keeping the corporate HQ from collapsing and replacing all the broken windows and ruined workstations.

So yeah, I gotta give you that one. Nintendo probably didn't force Capcom to put out for the 3DS; it was probably a bilateral agreement. A shame it didn't work out, but that's the way the highly-anticipated release gets washed out to sea by the machinations of fate and misplaced optimism. Maybe it's wrong to blame Nintendo for that, but then, it's probably also wrong to blame Capcom. After all, how did they know things would go so wrong?

And yeah, I'm still speculating, but because I don't have enough common sense or knowledge of the facts to know the exact bargaining agreements, motivations, financial situations, and decision-making processes of two multinational corporations, speculation is all I can do. I'd rather try to come up with some kind of explanation for why Capcom did something so heinous than say, "It was because they're just dicks".

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
ares5566 said:
I really hope this is the death of nintendo all they've done in the past couple years was make smash brawl and wind waker along with a bunch of crappy consoles and took alot of franchises that couldve been alot better if they were mainstream I.E. Resident evil zero and sonic.

If Nintendo survived these, why do you think they could die from something mild like this?
When the Power Glove was released, the NES was doing well.

When the Virtual Boy was released, the SNES was doing well, as was the Game Boy Pocket/Color/Pocket Color/etc.

When the 3DS was released the Wii... has kind of been on its way out for a while now.

So no, the 3DS probably won't kill Nintendo. The WiiU on the other hand... Well, we'll see.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
DanDeFool said:
NeutralDrow said:
ares5566 said:
I really hope this is the death of nintendo all they've done in the past couple years was make smash brawl and wind waker along with a bunch of crappy consoles and took alot of franchises that couldve been alot better if they were mainstream I.E. Resident evil zero and sonic.

If Nintendo survived these, why do you think they could die from something mild like this?
When the Power Glove was released, the NES was doing well.

When the Virtual Boy was released, the SNES was doing well, as was the Game Boy Pocket/Color/Pocket Color/etc.

When the 3DS was released the Wii... has kind of been on its way out for a while now.
Considering how massively ahead Nintendo is to begin with (and how well the DS is still doing), that means very little.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
bladester1 said:
I think I shall wait til they release the second addition 3DS, like what the DS lite is to the DS, before I will get one...
With as poorly as the 3DS is doing, I doubt that's going to happen. The GBA and DS got numerous iterations purely because the systems were hot enough sellers to justify it.

bladester1

Feb 5, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
bladester1 said:
I think I shall wait til they release the second addition 3DS, like what the DS lite is to the DS, before I will get one...
With as poorly as the 3DS is doing, I doubt that's going to happen. The GBA and DS got numerous iterations purely because the systems were hot enough sellers to justify it.
You never know. Once they get some good games out, it might do better.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Charles LaRue said:
30 percent aren't satisfied with the 20 free games?
Huh.
What about the other 70 percent?

I love my 3DS, and bought it because of the great games coming out in the future. MGS3, Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion 2, Paper Mario. Oodles and gobs of great games on the way.
I like how people are writing it off within the first year. Remember PS3's first year? Some people thought it would be the death of Sony's games division. Don't be so hasty.

I'll also add that I have never had a problem with playing with 3D on for hours at a time. It's as if I'm more used to seeing the world it 3D than 2D! Wacky, huh?
I'm pretty sure that getting migraines from playing with the 3D on is directly caused by weak moral fiber. Seriously, weakeyes, view the screen as a window opening outward and maybe you'll have a better time of it.
There's a major difference between writing the 3DS off and writing the PS3 off is that the PS3 actually had the sales and games to dispute the hate. The 3DS' best games are remakes of games 10+ years ago. That and Megaman Legends 3 was just cancelled because of lackluster sales. The PS3 didn't scare game companies into cancelling games within 6 months of release...

Also, out of the games you mentioned that are upcoming very few are worth buying. None of them are going to be worth shelling out money for a 3DS. MGS3 is a remake that will likely suffer the same fate as GTA Chinatown Wars on the DS due to it's M rating on a Nintendo console. Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion 2 are frankly sequels that have come too late. And what oodles and gobs of games are you talking about? The new Resident Evil game that came out was just a game more from RE:5 turned into a $40 cash in. It was supposed to have amazing graphics to showcase the 3DS' power but flopped on that. There hasn't been a console fail this fast after release since the Dreamcast in North America

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
NeutralDrow said:
ares5566 said:

Well, the Wii U isn't not going to have anything close to the success of the Wii for a long shot and doesn't bring anything better to the table. This is the first time in Nintendo's history that they are looking at having 2 consoles with not so ecstatic hype and praise. The Wii U is going to be hurt by being the obviously most expensive console on the market, and Nintendo's market is not the type to upgrade as quickly as people who game a lot. And when a big company like Capcom cancels Megaman Legends 3, a game that people have been waiting 10 years for, it's not a good sign.

Emz

Jun 13, 2010
If you stopped not releasing all the cool titles here Nintendo (I'm looking at the Wii here) you'd probably have more money.

I won't be buying a 3DS until there are some unique titles for it. Not a new mario, not a port of a game I owned when it came out - something new.

So I guess that turns into a "I'm never buying it." The only Nintendo games I really play now are the Zelda games as LA is one of my all time favourite games so I am overly loyal to the franchise (though almost all the games are good minus the DS ones - this excludes the CDi games as they to me never counted anyway. I disliked the DS ones due to the stylus controls.)

Zouriz

Apr 28, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
Charles LaRue said:
Huh.

I love my 3DS, and bought it because of the great games coming out in the future. MGS3, Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion 2, Paper Mario. Oodles and gobs of great games on the way.
I like how people are writing it off within the first year. Remember PS3's first year? Some people thought it would be the death of Sony's games division. Don't be so hasty.

I'll also add that I have never had a problem with playing with 3D on for hours at a time. It's as if I'm more used to seeing the world it 3D than 2D! Wacky, huh?
I'm pretty sure that getting migraines from playing with the 3D on is directly caused by weak moral fiber. Seriously, weakeyes, view the screen as a window opening outward and maybe you'll have a better time of it.
There's a major difference between writing the 3DS off and writing the PS3 off is that the PS3 actually had the sales and games to dispute the hate. The 3DS' best games are remakes of games 10+ years ago. That and Megaman Legends 3 was just cancelled because of lackluster sales. The PS3 didn't scare game companies into cancelling games within 6 months of release...

Also, out of the games you mentioned that are upcoming very few are worth buying. None of them are going to be worth shelling out money for a 3DS. MGS3 is a remake that will likely suffer the same fate as GTA Chinatown Wars on the DS due to it's M rating on a Nintendo console. Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion 2 are frankly sequels that have come too late. And what oodles and gobs of games are you talking about? The new Resident Evil game that came out was just a game more from RE:5 turned into a $40 cash in. It was supposed to have amazing graphics to showcase the 3DS' power but flopped on that. There hasn't been a console fail this fast after release since the Dreamcast in North America
MML3 wasn't cancelled because of the 3DS at all. There was some internal conflict in Capcom, and there wasn't much support for the title in the company. Also, I think the game stunk and that is why it got scrapped.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Let me check...
Nope! Still not interested in buying this console!

It's nothing more than a DS with pwetty pop-up graphics. It's obvious to re-state the fact that it lacks good, original games. Ocarina of Time? Got it. Paper Mario? Got it twice. Star Fox? Same thing. MGS3? Got it and its Subsistence too. Are you releasing MGS3 Subsistence? No? Huh...

Also, Nintendo, if you would have launched Pokemon White and Black for the 3DS (You know, just wait like a month or so before releasing it), then MAYBE it would have helped. But you tried to squeeze one last penny from the DSi with that Pokemon Special Edition and Pokemon and all. You thought the 3DS would do much better because it's the first "official" 3D console? Ah...

How wrong you were. Hope we learned something today.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
^ You do realise Paper Mario is a new game right? It's like saying 'Skyrim? Why bother. I got Oblivion! Uncharted 3? THIRD GAME in the series! Arkham City? Why bother when I can watch Batman on the TV!'

Personally I think come Christmas and first quarter of the new year we'll have a solid amount of games out.

Super Mario 3DS Land,
Mario Kart 7,
Starfox,
Kid Icarus,
Tetris 3DS,
Tales of the Abyss,
Metal Gear Solid 3D,
Resident Evil Revelations (unless Capcom manage to screw that up too.)
Luigi's Mansion,
E-Shop stuff. (and if you bought early the 20 free games. Although I think they need to see how much they're charging for some of these games.)
Rolling Western (who says Nintendo don't try new IPs?)
One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP
Pokemon Scramble,

Also these: (dunno when released)
Heroes of Ruin,
Cave Story 3D,
Harvest Moon,
Shin Megami Tensai: Devil Survivor Overclocked,
Doctor Lautrec.

So yeah. It's a pretty decent lineup.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Zouriz said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Charles LaRue said:
Huh.

MML3 wasn't cancelled because of the 3DS at all. There was some internal conflict in Capcom, and there wasn't much support for the title in the company. Also, I think the game stunk and that is why it got scrapped.
...No it's been cancelled.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111745-Capcom-Kills-Mega-Man-Legends-3
And it was cancelled because no costumers showed support. There was next to no response when the game got announced. Same with the Prototype.

And really there have been very few games that have been cancelled because they sucked this quickly. That's essentially throwing away millions of dollars after at most 6 months into a barely finished product. Really it makes no sense that it was cancelled due to it being crap. The 3DS sales are garbage and once again Nintendo left the third party companies to fend for themselves when it came to advertising their games. We knew all about LoZ Ocarina of time 3D but next to nothing on the Tales of the Abyss remake.