Price Reveal for Gen 9: EDIT: I think based upon market data, not MS or Sony as youtube vid. suggest

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Man can't wait to pay $500 for a console and then $120 for 2 games that are also coming out for the console I already have!
That's the thing with the first year or two of new consoles, they'll never risk a game's sales. It will always come out on the later edition consoles too.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Why is the digital only playstation more expensive in that picture?

Also this is clearly just speculation but I would actually be surprised if the PS5 is that cheap. I expect $599 honestly. At least at launch. $499 seems right for the Xbox though.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Why is the digital only playstation more expensive in that picture?

Also this is clearly just speculation but I would actually be surprised if the PS5 is that cheap. I expect $599 honestly. At least at launch. $499 seems right for the Xbox though.
I've been reading through the comments and you appear to be correct. The host appears to be basing his estimates on real market issues but I think he was wrong to entitle his clip, "reveal". That suggest that this information is coming from Sony and MS.

As for the PS prices above, I think they are reversed. Digital only a bit less costly.

Man can't wait to pay $500 for a console and then $120 for 2 games that are also coming out for the console I already have!
That's the thing with the first year or two of new consoles, they'll never risk a game's sales. It will always come out on the later edition consoles too.
I can't buy the white one. Clashes with my decor. I'm sure a black one will be coming in the future. But the Box? At a minimum, I will wait 6 months min. for them to shake out bugs and start making a library exclussive to it (and PC). But it will be fun to watch reviews of new console games, reviews of the consoles themselves and customer reactions.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'll wait 1.5-two years before I get the PS5. I did not get my PS4 until my birthday in 2015. And even then I only got what appealed to me. My first two PS4 games were Shadow warrior and Onechanabra Z2 Chaos. The latter Iactually kept, and the former I traded in a long while back because I just didn't like the combat and pacing of the game.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'll wait 1.5-two years before I get the PS5. I did not get my PS4 until my birthday in 2015. And even then I only got what appealed to me. My first two PS4 games were Shadow warrior and Onechanabra Z2 Chaos. The ladder actually kept, in the former I traded in a long while back because I just didn't like the combat and pacing of the game.
I am a launch buyer for the PS5 for sure. I want DEmon's Souls, RE8, and Horizon 2 too badly to wait. Horizon was my GOTY in 2017 when it came out and RE7 was close on that same year. Then RE2make was also too good to ignore RE8. Even some of the other stuff that I'm not as hyped for like Ratchet and Clank I might actually be interest in giving a go.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I can't buy the white one. Clashes with my decor. I'm sure a black one will be coming in the future. But the Box? At a minimum, I will wait 6 months min. for them to shake out bugs and start making a library exclussive to it (and PC). But it will be fun to watch reviews of new console games, reviews of the consoles themselves and customer reactions.
I know I made a stink of it, but honestly I don't mind the full price of the console itself. Its a legit piece of hardware, so a price is expected.
What I hate is they don't come with starting games anymore - when I got my N64 it CAME with Mario 64, out of the box.
And there is absolutely no reason games, digital at fucking that, should cost $60 anymore. Fuck sake that's more a hold over from the 90s than a live system or Harely Quinn.
$499 plus tax, with a starting game sounds fair. $25-$30 for a new title, maybe a little less for the older generation ones, sounds fair.

And Im seeing that $499 is low-ball! This thing, plus a game or two or a second controller may be the lion's share of $1000! Fuck me running that's a decent PC or a down-payment on something big.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I am a launch buyer for the PS5 for sure. I want DEmon's Souls, RE8, and Horizon 2 too badly to wait. Horizon was my GOTY in 2017 when it came out and RE7 was close on that same year. Then RE2make was also too good to ignore RE8. Even some of the other stuff that I'm not as hyped for like Ratchet and Clank I might actually be interest in giving a go.
I am not in to Souls style games in general, RE8 has a tentative release date (meaning it will most likely come out in the beginning of 2022), not a Horizon fan, but I respect Guerilla game. Ratchet & clank , Kena, and Miles Morale are in my high interest, but I can wait for all three of them. Plus, I never buy a console at launch. Not since the PS2, GameCube, and Xbox days.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
$50 extra is worth it for me with all the Blu-Rays I have yet. But it’s something I won’t be buying until it’s around $350 max for Slim edition with a good bundle. And since Elden Ring will already be an older game by the time that happens (or maybe not considering we still haven’t seen anything for it), I’ll wait for Bloodborne 2 please.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
$50 extra is worth it for me with all the Blu-Rays I have yet. But it’s something I won’t be buying until it’s around $350 max for Slim edition with a good bundle. And since Elden Ring will already be an older game by the time that happens (or maybe not considering we still haven’t seen anything for it), I’ll wait for Bloodborne 2 please.

I agree, I like having the discs, because then your library always is there if you need harddrive space. Digital games eat your storage space very quickly, especially as games more and more exceed 100GB files. And those files wont be smaller for Ps5 games.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Has it been confirmed how much space the SSD will have for these things? It seems even a terabyte wouldn’t be enough with how big next gen games will likely be.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I agree, I like having the discs, because then your library always is there if you need harddrive space. Digital games eat your storage space very quickly, especially as games more and more exceed 100GB files. And those files wont be smaller for Ps5 games.
If devs optimize the game well enough, PS5 games will actually be smaller.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'll probably be getting the PS5 at launch.

Firstly, I really want the backward compatibility and I worry that it will be phased out in later versions of the console, just like it was with the PS3.

Second, most of the people in my office will probably be getting the PS5 relatively early in its life cycle, and it'll be nice to take advantage of our office's game library.

Unfortunately this means that if there's any problems with the hardware at launch I'll be the guinea pig. The launch console pretty much always runs the hottest and ends up being the loudest. Might end up replacing the launch console with the slim version when it comes out if they retain backward compatibility in that version.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I'm definitely going to wait for whatever "slim" version they come up with.

Or most likely, since I'm close to graduating and getting a job, I might just finally get a proper desktop gaming PC. And if I'm successful enough, maybe even both. I'm a fan of enough PS exclusives to not want to miss out on a generation of them.

But anyway, I could definitely see those prices happening. Although they might be the best case scenario. It would be just typical of Sony to fuck things up now that they're so far on top in the industry.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I'll probably be getting the PS5 at launch.

Firstly, I really want the backward compatibility and I worry that it will be phased out in later versions of the console, just like it was with the PS3.
The PS5's GPU/CPU are designed with backwards compatibility baked into them.

With the PS3 the backwards compatibility was provided through custom hardware soldered onto the motherboard, making it a potential target for cost reduction.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I'll buy it as soon as Demon's Souls comes out. I hope it's a launch title. The PS4 took off in 2015 but the first 2 years were total shite. I hope it's not the case here but I still expect a lot of cross-generation releases because of huge install bases that will take a while to transition. Demon's Souls should be the one to really stand out.

RE8 looks fun but not really a system seller for me. Don't care about any of the other games they've shown.