Princess No More - Leia Has A New Title In Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
258
0
0
Yeah, fuck princesses. I mean, ewwwww, who even likes that girly stuff? Only soldiers and generals can be cool bad-asses.
Remember to buy GENERAL Leia toys kids!
 

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
2,507
0
0
The rebellion really likes to hand out the general title around doesn't it?

First Han, then Lando, now Leia. As far as Im concerned 3 people who don't really have reason to be named Generals and nothing they have ever done suggested they would be a good fit for the role (simply being a badass doesn't transform you into napoleon), especially compared to all the other personel the rebellion has.
As far as I know every other rebel you see that has a military rank of significance earnt their spurs and tended to be either clone war vets or ex imperials officers (which was the case for Han..ok nevermind, he gets a pass after all, but Lando doesn't have that excuse! His entire background was in administration or doing business!).

Other then that, nothing much to say, guess Leia ditched the title so as to be less reminded of Alderaan.
 

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
258
0
0
Frankster said:
The rebellion really likes to hand out the general title around doesn't it?

First Han, then Lando, now Leia. As far as Im concerned 3 people who don't really have reason to be named Generals and nothing they have ever done suggested they would be a good fit for the role (simply being a badass doesn't transform you into napoleon), especially compared to all the other personel the rebellion has.
As far as I know every other rebel you see that has a military rank of significance earnt their spurs and tended to be either clone war vets or ex imperials officers (which was the case for Han..ok nevermind, he gets a pass after all, but Lando doesn't have that excuse! His entire background was in administration or doing business!).

Other then that, nothing much to say, guess Leia ditched the title so as to be less reminded of Alderaan.
Wait, so are the Rebels still the rebellion or is the new sith people now the new rebels?
 

Gorrath

New member
Feb 22, 2013
1,648
0
0
Someone calls her Princess by accident? If she gets pissed about it there is only one response I can think of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D5tkAUNFa4
 

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
2,507
0
0
Coruptin said:
Wait, so are the Rebels still the rebellion or is the new sith people now the new rebels?
As far as I know the Empire didn't collapse and still holds the majority of the galaxy so the rebels would still be the rebels I believe... But keep in mind I haven't been given any advance viewing of episode 7 so I'm very likely to be incorrect, my impressions are purely informed by what I've come across randomly when net browsing.
 

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
8,577
2,947
118
Coruptin said:
Yeah, fuck princesses. I mean, ewwwww, who even likes that girly stuff? Only soldiers and generals can be cool bad-asses.
Remember to buy GENERAL Leia toys kids!
Well the planet that she had her royalty through was blowed up (spelling intentional). So you know, hard to be royalty of a planet that doesn't exist. Seems a reasonable change to me, on a production level, and as the character. I mean really, nothing that she did in the movies had anything to do with her royal status Her involvement with the rebellion was based on her position as a diplomat and politician, not as a princess. Her actions were in fact in spite of her royal status, and she was just doing what she needed to, to save what lives she could.
 

LordLundar

New member
Apr 6, 2004
962
0
0
Fox12 said:
What are you talking about? Leia was only a princess in Episode 4. Even in the original trilogy they downplayed her royalty, and it was almost totally forgotten by episode 5. If you think they're making shit up, then you clearly haven't seen the movies. Her planet is gone. In Episode 5 we see her commanding soldiers during the battle of Hoth with General Rieeken, and in Episode 6 she's leading a ground assault on Endor. For all intents and purposes she was already a general.
Pretty much. iirc it was only Han who called her princess in Ep.5 and that was a snark at her until she told him to knock it off. That was the last time she was called princess in the movies. This to me is simply the title fitting the position at this point.
 

OneCatch

New member
Jun 19, 2010
1,111
0
0
Dragonlayer said:
A more serious point: does Leia have any military experience to justify such a high rank, or is it simply a replacement title?
-Couriers Death Star plans via blockade runner. Quick thinking leads to escape of Plans
-Escapes first Death Star, involved in destruction of it
-Directly involved in defence of Hoth (along with Rieken)
-Pretty much the last to leave Hoth command centre
-Part of strike team which destroys Endor generator and thus the Emperor, Imperial Command, and Death Star II

Worth noting that Han is a General by the start of Empire, so if anything this is overdue!
 

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
2,379
0
0
It's funny that people are questioning Leia's qualifications to serve as a general and that folks are wondering why the title "Princess" was apparently dropped.

I find this funny because Star Wars VII takes place over thirty years after the events of Return of the Jedi.

Is it possible that things might have happened over the course of those three decades that directly led to Leia's current title as being "General"?

No, of course not. We must ignore the obvious and make mountains out of mole hills. ^_^

Now, having said that, I must admit that I'm pumped up with anticipation for this movie.



*purrs*
 

Veylon

New member
Aug 15, 2008
1,626
0
0
Basement Cat said:
Is it possible that things might have happened over the course of those three decades that directly led to Leia's current title as being "General"?
Whats this? Things happen off-screen? No way, no how. If the movie opens with the suggestion that they aren't still hanging around on Endor holding a many times after-party, I will be very upset at the breach of continuity and personally blame Abrams for ruining Star Wars forever.
 

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
2,379
0
0
Veylon said:
Basement Cat said:
Is it possible that things might have happened over the course of those three decades that directly led to Leia's current title as being "General"?
Whats this? Things happen off-screen? No way, no how. If the movie opens with the suggestion that they aren't still hanging around on Endor holding a many times after-party, I will be very upset at the breach of continuity and personally blame Abrams for ruining Star Wars forever.
You and I should hang our heads in shame for slashing this thread's debate....

...except that Basement Cat enjoys a challenge!

 

Vigormortis

New member
Nov 21, 2007
4,531
0
0
Not to interrupt the bickering about the intentions of the writers or the implications of Leia's title change, but I have to ask...

Did they just put Captain Katheryn Janeway into a Star Wars film? Because Carrie Fisher is looking a LOT like Kate Mulgrew in those pics...


 

Happiness Assassin

New member
Oct 11, 2012
773
0
0
Fox12 said:
Paradoxrifts said:
What gets me is that people obviously don't get what's going on here. Leia has replaced Mon Mothma as the leader of the rebellion.
Actually, according to the new canon book Aftermath (which is bad as far as literature goes but nowhere near some of the old canon levels) Mon Mothma is became the leader of the New Republic and made her homeworld of Chandrila the capital and OH MY GOD I AM A FUCKING NERD!

Back to the topic at hand: I have no problems with Leia being called general. Seriously, the planet she was princess of is 35 years dead for Christ's sake. Real life royals have abdicated their titles for far less. She has had plenty of military experience across all three movies, from helping to plan the assault on the first Death Star, planning the evacuation of Hoth, to leading the freaking ground assault at the Battle of Endor. She has for all intents and purposes, earned her stars (or whatever they use).

On the subject of elective monarchies and young royals, yeah there are shit tons of examples of both. Poland, the Holy Roman Empire, Venice and hell even the Vatican were all elective monarchies (and the Vatican still is).
 

Dark Knifer

New member
May 12, 2009
4,468
0
0
Eclipse Dragon said:
Dark Knifer said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
past Disney queens have been evil, but Elsa isn't,.
Uhh, did we watch the same movie?

She wasn't evil, she just couldn't control her powers and she ended up good in the end...
(Though Frozen 2 still has yet to happen).
I dunno, she attacked her sister twice just because she wanted to talk to her about her problems. That part always struck me with domestic abuse vibes so I always felt uncomfortable with that. I'm not sure anna should be that willing to forgive her, especially willing to take a death blow for her at the end when she still hasn't apologized or anything.

Elsa may not be a villain but damn she did some bad things in that movie that I personally don't think she was even close to atoning for. Feel free to disagree with it, each to their own.
 

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
258
0
0
Happyninja42 said:
Well the planet that she had her royalty through was blowed up (spelling intentional). So you know, hard to be royalty of a planet that doesn't exist. Seems a reasonable change to me, on a production level, and as the character. I mean really, nothing that she did in the movies had anything to do with her royal status Her involvement with the rebellion was based on her position as a diplomat and politician, not as a princess. Her actions were in fact in spite of her royal status, and she was just doing what she needed to, to save what lives she could.
Yeah that makes sense in fiction, but I think this is mostly a marketing move. Boys don't buy princess toys, but they like generals.
 

MrCatchTwenty2

New member
Aug 21, 2014
22
0
0
Well, almost all of the main characters in the original trilogy became generals for no reason and considering that she seems to have stuck with the rebellion for the last 30 years she would naturally have been a high rank by now anyway. She seems to be the only main character to do so, so when I saw the trailer I just kind of assumed that she was in charge.

Plus, I agree that it will probably just amount to her using it to snidely correct Han when he's trying to be cute, calling her "princess".
 

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
1,016
0
0
Dark Knifer said:
Elsa may not be a villain but damn she did some bad things in that movie that I personally don't think she was even close to atoning for. Feel free to disagree with it, each to their own.
Always felt more to me like she just couldn't control her powers well enough. Both times seemed like accidents to me. Or at least that was the impression I got, anyway.
 

Dark Knifer

New member
May 12, 2009
4,468
0
0
Kajin said:
Dark Knifer said:
Elsa may not be a villain but damn she did some bad things in that movie that I personally don't think she was even close to atoning for. Feel free to disagree with it, each to their own.
Always felt more to me like she just couldn't control her powers well enough. Both times seemed like accidents to me. Or at least that was the impression I got, anyway.
This is quite off-topic now but oh well

Just before attacking her sister twice she build a huge beautiful ice palace with complete control of her abilities, one time she attacked them by creating a giant sentient snowman to chase them down a hill, that seems more like acting out in an unreasonable fit of rage then not controlling her powers. Now she might be more emotionally charged of her sister but I don't have much empathy when she strikes out at her innocent sister for daring to speak to her. Plus ignoring the ten years of neglect to her younger sister.

Elsa disturbs me honestly but that's just my feelings on it.
 

SeanSeanston

New member
Dec 22, 2010
143
0
0
Pallindromemordnillap said:
If we're talking feminism then its nice she gets to keep a name of her own and not take one of the guys' ones
Yes, it's great for women's liberation that she gets to keep her own father's surname.

^_o

Thing with surnames... they're not much use when you stop using them to connect people to their fathers/husbands.
 

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
24,759
0
0
Basement Cat said:
Is it possible that things might have happened over the course of those three decades that directly led to Leia's current title as being "General"?
It's not going to work. I tried that with the black Stormtrooper. Apparently, The Doctor passed through and time locked th whole scene.

Wait a second, if you're a cat, shouldn't your lightsaber be red? Or did you take that off a dead Jedi?