Princess No More - Leia Has A New Title In Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Eh, her titles were only ever academic. She was never a Princess really, or at least she was only ever presented as a Princess in title only.. unless you count that weird medal ceremony at the end of episode 4 I guess.

General.. I mean, they were all generals. General Solo, General Organa... they called Han Solo, a criminal for all intents and purposes, a General.

That is just my opinion of course. But all of them took orders from someone else, regardless.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Coruptin said:
Happyninja42 said:
Well the planet that she had her royalty through was blowed up (spelling intentional). So you know, hard to be royalty of a planet that doesn't exist. Seems a reasonable change to me, on a production level, and as the character. I mean really, nothing that she did in the movies had anything to do with her royal status Her involvement with the rebellion was based on her position as a diplomat and politician, not as a princess. Her actions were in fact in spite of her royal status, and she was just doing what she needed to, to save what lives she could.
Yeah that makes sense in fiction, but I think this is mostly a marketing move. Boys don't buy princess toys, but they like generals.
I did. I bought Princess Leia (in her non slave outfit), I also bought She-Ra from the He-Man series (Who I think was a princess right?). I bought plenty of female characters, irrespective of their official title. It was "did I like their character" or "did I find them interesting in the newly blossoming sexual understanding" kind of way that kids have. Seriously, She-Ra got lots of action with my He-Man doll as a kid, they had a very torrid and steamy sex life in my bedroom. xD

Dark Knifer said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
Dark Knifer said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
past Disney queens have been evil, but Elsa isn't,.

Uhh, did we watch the same movie?

She wasn't evil, she just couldn't control her powers and she ended up good in the end...
(Though Frozen 2 still has yet to happen).
I dunno, she attacked her sister twice just because she wanted to talk to her about her problems. That part always struck me with domestic abuse vibes so I always felt uncomfortable with that. I'm not sure anna should be that willing to forgive her, especially willing to take a death blow for her at the end when she still hasn't apologized or anything.

Elsa may not be a villain but damn she did some bad things in that movie that I personally don't think she was even close to atoning for. Feel free to disagree with it, each to their own.
I think you're over assigning intent to her actions. In both of the examples I think you are referring to (since you didn't actually state them, I can only guess), when she "attacked" her sister in the ballroom, she was simply moving her arm in an exaggerated gesture to convey annoyance and frustration. Like any normal human being does when they are emotionally excited. Hell you can see Anna doing it multiple times in the same conversation. She's flailing her arms around all over while she's talking, it's called body language, and it helps convey her emotional investment in what she's saying. Well Elsa does the same thing, only for her, she can potentially shoot out ice. The other example being in the tower, when she freezes Anna's heart I guess? Again, it was an involuntary response to high emotion. The entire movie is built upon the idea of Elsa suppressing her powers, to NOT use them, to hide and conceal them. To say that she meant to hurl pointy spikes of ice at her sister in the midst of an emotional argument, and that she meant to again hurt her sister with that magic outburst is reaching I think. She never wanted to hurt anyone, that's why she ran away, that's why she told her sister to get away from her (a warning that Anna ignored I might add). Every action she took was to try and protect people from her powers, that she genuinely didn't have true control over. She knew she was a threat, and tried desperately to minimize that threat to the people around her. It didn't always work, but that's not the same thing as saying she's evil because she lost control a few times.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Happyninja42 said:
Seriously, She-Ra got lots of action with my He-Man doll as a kid, they had a very torrid and steamy sex life in my bedroom. xD
Then you realize that they're brother and sister. :p

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
LordLundar said:
Happyninja42 said:
Seriously, She-Ra got lots of action with my He-Man doll as a kid, they had a very torrid and steamy sex life in my bedroom. xD
Then you realize that they're brother and sister. :p
Pssh, details! My 7 year old libido didn't let things like that get in the way of my action figure orgies!

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Happyninja42 said:
I think you're over assigning intent to her actions. In both of the examples I think you are referring to (since you didn't actually state them, I can only guess), when she "attacked" her sister in the ballroom, she was simply moving her arm in an exaggerated gesture to convey annoyance and frustration. Like any normal human being does when they are emotionally excited. Hell you can see Anna doing it multiple times in the same conversation. She's flailing her arms around all over while she's talking, it's called body language, and it helps convey her emotional investment in what she's saying. Well Elsa does the same thing, only for her, she can potentially shoot out ice. The other example being in the tower, when she freezes Anna's heart I guess? Again, it was an involuntary response to high emotion. The entire movie is built upon the idea of Elsa suppressing her powers, to NOT use them, to hide and conceal them. To say that she meant to hurl pointy spikes of ice at her sister in the midst of an emotional argument, and that she meant to again hurt her sister with that magic outburst is reaching I think. She never wanted to hurt anyone, that's why she ran away, that's why she told her sister to get away from her (a warning that Anna ignored I might add). Every action she took was to try and protect people from her powers, that she genuinely didn't have true control over. She knew she was a threat, and tried desperately to minimize that threat to the people around her. It didn't always work, but that's not the same thing as saying she's evil because she lost control a few times.
After that she built the giant snowman to throw her off the mountain. That requires some thought at the very least. And the whole suppressing her powers and anger just sounds like an angry dude trying to not punch her wife when she asks him whats wrong which the movie kinda glosses over but thats why it makes me uncomfortable. In the real world she would still be a criminal and I think she should be treated as such, even if she isn't evil. That's also why criminals are locked up, for their safety and for the general populace.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Fanghawk said:
That's not to say the transition was easy. Fisher herself describes General Organa as "solitary. Under a lot of pressure. Committed as ever to her cause, but I would imagine feeling somewhat defeated, tired, and pissed." But Fisher still wants fans to take a strong message from this version of Leia: "Never give up."
Never give up? John Cena approved.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I think it would be funny if one of her subordinates accidentally called her "General Skywalker". I would think that her being Luke's twin sister is in-universe public news by now.