Princss Bubblegum

Jayemsal

Dec 28, 2012
SaneAmongInsane said:
Risingblade said:
Wait not being a pedophile makes her a *****?
Theres an episode where she tries telling Finn that for some reason him and Flame Princess can't be together, completely detached and unaware how her breaking the news to him comes across as fucking around with his emotions.

She is a bit of a *****, but I like her mad scientist parts.
She is focused on herself above others, to be sure.

She's selfish, but a good character overall.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
EyeReaper said:
I don't get it. I really don't. You look at someone like Princess Peach's biggest criticism, that she's a shallow, no personality character who exists solely as a trophy/love interest. We can argue about whether this is true or not, but that is a different opic. I'm here about Princess Bubblegum, from the show Adventure Time, which I'll just assume you've watched. Now, she is definitely not a stereotypical princess, and more falls along the line of a mad scientist if anything. She has a distinct personality, and she is not just there as a love interest. Wanna know what common thought on her is from the fans?
"What a *****. How dare she friendzone the main character! boo-hoo gripe gripe" (That was a paraphrase)
So, can someone please tell me how a princess who breaks all the conventions and tropes be a bad character, yet also someone like Peach be a blight setting feminism back 100 years? or maybe I am just seeing the two extremes because they are the most apparent.

tl;dr: tell me how Princess Bubblegum is a bad character
PB dismissing Finn may suck for Finn, but it's not her fault. She's 18 (bio...logically? How does gum age work?) and Finn is much younger (14 now I believe). I'd be pretty disturbed if they had any sort of non-platonic relationship at this point. PB had no problems hooking up with Finn when she was reverted to 13, after all. Flame Princess is explicitly stated to be the same age as Finn. That's really all there is to it.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
I dont think she's a bad character at all. Yeah she definitely has a god complex but she definitely seems to care about the candy people and even owns up to her mistakes like with lemongrab.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
[quote="AlexWinter" post="18.406915.16955337"

Princess Peach isn't really a character she's just a place holder. So is Mario, Luigi, Bowser etc. None of these characters have any personality.

Princess Bubblegum is a character with depth. Strengths, flaws, history and mystery.

They can't really be compared due to the nature of their mediums.[/quote]

This is what I thought too.
I think we ask for too much in our game characters.
A lot of game characters were popular because they were simply place holders.
Not everything needs a intricate background, and it is also pointless to compare them with characters that do have a story built around them.

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
Rule of thumb: If you see the word "Friendzone" used un-ironically, that's your cue to disregard their opinion.

Peebs is a great character, especially in a kid's show. I especially like the one scene when Finn and Flame Princess first get together, you can see PB at the end with a sad face. To me, that sends the message "You can't string people along forever. If you play coy forever, eventually they'll decide it's not worth it and move on."

Soundwave

Sep 2, 2012
Mikeyfell said:
All Mario does when he's not cart racing is rescue Peach from Bowser. And does Peach ever put out? Fuck no.
Mario bounces around every castle in the Mushroom Kingdom and when he finally finds her what does she do?
Gives him a kiss on the nose and goes off to get kidnapped again!
The vindictive ****.
Has anyone seen any evidence that Mario wants to have sex with Peach? He might just be a genuinely decent guy and not care about that kind of stuff. I'll grant that it's hard to believe because he's italian, but there's always a first time for anything.

Ace Morologist

Apr 25, 2013
If I'm reading Princess Bubblegum right, she's this sentient mass of candy... stuff who's been trying (with limited success) to understand people for upwards of 500 years. She's not a person herself, but she's been fascinated by them for centuries, so she's forged herself in that image and founded a kingdom of faux people (probably all of her own creation) in an attempt to emulate the objects of her fascination. She's got the act mostly down, but she's still a cold, alien observer at heart, which is why she's always tinkering and experimenting, and why the objects of her most ambitious and imaginative experiments are so bizarre and inhuman. (Lemongrab... the zombies... Goliad...)

If that interpretation is right, she's actually a pretty deep character. She's not a very good PERSON, because she's not technically a person at all. That said, calling her a ***** because she can't return Finn's crush affection strikes me more as transferrence than anything else.

Princess Peach isn't as developed a character because who gives a damn? She's Princess Peach. She's a reward, not a character.

--Morology!

PS: Hey, Nintendo! Want to shake things up the next time you flog another Mario game into existence? Make Princess Peach the main character. Have her mission be to break herself out of captivity and escape back to the Mushroom Kingdom. Or have her rescue a bunch of her Toad citizens from captivity. And she's not doing it because Mario and Luigi are unavailable or unable to do the job this time, but because she's a brave, capable princess taking care of the people who are important to her.

Scott Rothman

Feb 2, 2012
EyeReaper said:
I don't get it. I really don't. You look at someone like Princess Peach's biggest criticism, that she's a shallow, no personality character who exists solely as a trophy/love interest. We can argue about whether this is true or not, but that is a different opic. I'm here about Princess Bubblegum, from the show Adventure Time, which I'll just assume you've watched. Now, she is definitely not a stereotypical princess, and more falls along the line of a mad scientist if anything. She has a distinct personality, and she is not just there as a love interest. Wanna know what common thought on her is from the fans?
"What a *****. How dare she friendzone the main character! boo-hoo gripe gripe" (That was a paraphrase)
So, can someone please tell me how a princess who breaks all the conventions and tropes be a bad character, yet also someone like Peach be a blight setting feminism back 100 years? or maybe I am just seeing the two extremes because they are the most apparent.

I've never heard of anyone having this sentiment.

SaneAmongInsane said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Risingblade said:
Theres an episode where she tries telling Finn that for some reason him and Flame Princess can't be together, completely detached and unaware how her breaking the news to him comes across as fucking around with his emotions.

Wasn't the reason that Flame Princess would melt through to the core though?
Yes it was.

Still doesn't change the fact that PB should of been aware how it looked. She knew she was Finn's crush.
Are you kidding me? How could she know that Finn misunderstood what she said? Finn didn't let her finish what she was trying to say. Once PB realized how Finn took read what she had said, she tried to correct him but he was too pissed and left.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
the moment people bring up "friendzoning" you can disregard their opnion or better yet punch them because all that means is: i was nice to you so i deserve sex.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Ahri said:
I don't like Princess Bubblegum, but that has nothing to do with her personality and/or archetype. I just.. don't like her.

I vastly prefer Lumpy Space Princess. <3
Oh my glob, you guys! Melissa and Stephen were totally making out in the woods yesterday, even though Melissa is going steady with Brad!

I fucking love this show.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I doubt that anyone would call Peach a good character. She's a plot device that has proven to work well for what it is which is why people don't mind her. She's a McGuffin, a carrot to be dangled in front of Marios nose to give him a reason to go out and jump on turtles. Of course judging her as a character she is all sorts of terrible but there is no reason to do so.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Scott Rothman said:
EyeReaper said:

I've never heard of anyone having this sentiment.

SaneAmongInsane said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Risingblade said:

Yes it was.

Still doesn't change the fact that PB should of been aware how it looked. She knew she was Finn's crush.
Are you kidding me? How could she know that Finn misunderstood what she said? Finn didn't let her finish what she was trying to say. Once PB realized how Finn took read what she had said, she tried to correct him but he was too pissed and left.
Shes infinitely old. I'm sorry but "Okay, I'm going to tell that little boy that I know has an unrequited crush on me that he can't stay with the new girl he really likes. Surely there will be no misunderstandings."

I could buy that Peebles just doesn't understand human emotions. She acts like a mad scientist with her creations, she doesn't get along with Marceline who is all feelings and shit. But yeah, even then that character flaw makes her kind of a cold hearted *****.

AlexWinter

Jun 24, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
I don't think that's really accurate comparison between the two. Marceline isn't liberal, she just has no respect for authority and no responsibilities. Princess Bubblegum on the other hand is literally everyone's mother. Lawful evil isn't much of a stretch, but she has Fin and Jake to keep things from getting that bad.
I'm thinking of her treatment of Princess Cookie, Ice King, The Duke of Nuts etc. she doesn't give people the chance to explain themselves, she's tried to conquer death four times now and she clearly has some screws loose - thinking of the mermaids and Pepbut here. I call Marcy liberal rather than anarchist because she attends the Grand Meetings of Ooo Royalty yet she killed the Vampire King. So she clearly cares somewhat.

njrk97

May 30, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Risingblade said:

Yes it was.

Remembering that the first part of the episode she had assumed jake had listened and told finn why and that is why it came across as messing with his emotions. She assumed jake had said the flame princess would kill everyone if she gets too hot so when PB asked if Finn understood she thought he knew the implications for everyone. So i don't think it was PB fault for having it look that way, she thought he had the same context as her.