Print Media Hot Takes

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Dude, I'm just here for the pancake recipe. Please stop telling me your life story as a prelude. nobody cares
It's not so much that I don't care... I mean, I don't, but it's more the fact that I'm already going to have to spend an hour or two converting American measurements into sane ones as well as finding substitutes for half the ingredients because the recipe listed some ingredient by brand instead of what it actually is and the brand they use is only available in western Georgia. Also, messing around with whether to remove 1/2 or 2/3 of the butter, cream and sugar because just looking at the recipe made my pancreas ache...

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I will say that RL Stine's Fear Street series suffer a problem of having most of his characters act like jackasses. Even if that's the point, it's hard to sympathize or root for certain characters. It's one thing I like about the movie trilogy that came out last year. You have characters with their jerk moments, but they learned to either be better people, or you see why the way they are.

LegoDnD

Jan 10, 2023
Country
United States of America
Main takeaway: Camie is a cursed character whose every word is a Tower of Babble threatening to collapse over our entire civilization and no translation is good enough to cure her.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Kingdom Come and Action Comics #775 aren't popular because they are well written or have any interesting philosophical debates. They are popular because they make classic Superman fans feel good about themselves. Also, Action Comics #775 is incredibly racist.

DC has a serious anti-Asian racism problem. From the mishandling of Asian religions and myths, to fetishizing of Asian women to crappy writing decisions like how Cass Cain has been handled.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Kingdom Come and Action Comics #775 aren't popular because they are well written or have any interesting philosophical debates. They are popular because they make classic Superman fans feel good about themselves. Also, Action Comics #775 is incredibly racist.
I thought the reason people love Kingdom Come so much, cuz it was the total antithesis to the overabundance of the Dark Age of comic books. KC was made at a time when everyone, but the comic publishers were getting tired of Dark Age comics.

Last edited:

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
I thought the reason people love Kingdom Come so much, cuz it was the total antithesis to the overabundance of the Dark Age of comic books. KC was made at a time when everyone, but the comic publishers are getting tired of Dark Age comics.
I'd argue there was more of an overabundance of dark age material in the 2000s than the 90s.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'd argue there was more of an overabundance of dark age material in the 2000s than the 90s.
I never the comic scene much, even I didn't see too many "Dark Age" comics by the mid 2000s. Now I know there were a few a hanger-ons. but nothing major. I know what killed the comic industry at that time, was everyone trying to make their own "Valuable Issue #1". When all of them were garbage and not worth paper they were printed on. Dark Age comics trying to start their own #1's and sub-series within those #1s were not helping at all. Plus, I was into the anime/manga scene at the time already by 2002/03.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Sometimes I wish there was more downtime in books and manga. Like every once in a while I'll be really into a series and get invested in the characters, and they'll go through a grueling struggle that lasts volumes, and by the end you just feel exhausted for them. Afterwards there will usually be a couple of chapters of the characters doing some casual activity, or just hanging out and enjoying life, before the plot moves forward and it's back to the action, and I end up wishing that downtime would go on so much longer. I felt that way when reading the Haruhi LNs, where I would just really enjoy Haruhi and Co. just hanging out in the clubroom, and I felt like it wasn't even necessary to have some weird mystery happen. I felt that way in Soul Eater after the absolutely grueling assault on Arachnophobia. And I'm feeling that way now about Made in Abyss. I just want the trio to take their time exploring the Abyss, eating good food, enjoying each others company, and not having their limbs amputated. Or even if they just had stayed at Nanachi's house for a lot longer. Of course, I'm interested in what's at the bottom of the Abyss, but that can wait and I'm more interested in watching the relationship between Nanachi, Riko, and Reg develop gradually. But I guess I'm just weird and people would probably hate a manga where all the action and drama just stopped for, like, an entire volume.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But I guess I'm just weird and people would probably hate a manga where all the action and drama just stopped for, like, an entire volume.
At least the Shaman King manga had two volumes of downtime. Granted, one of the volumes was just one big flashback but it's a thought that counts at least.

This technically can go into the movie/tv hot takes and gaming hot takes, but I really don't like Amanda Waller as a character. I get the point of her, but she honestly has been over used similar to the Joker, and I just don't find her that interesting. Now I know she's had various writers throughout the years, but even at her best morality (Justice League Unlimited), she's just another government stooge with control issues and budding in the people's lives where she doesn't belong. How much of a well-tended extremist depends on the writer or specific version, but they're all a moronic, jackass, biatch that makes things worse for herself, her government, the superheroes, some of the villains, and everyone else in general.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Some people really have no shame, you know? I seriously don't know how people can show their face after putting their name on certain works. Still reading the manga version of Made in Abyss, and some of the stuff in there it's just like, I'd rather kill myself than write my name on it. Like it's a good story, imaginative, and well written, and the art is really great as well, but, well, reading it there are certain things that make you suspect that the writer may just be one of the biggest perverts on the planet.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Some people really have no shame, you know? I seriously don't know how people can show their face after putting their name on certain works. Still reading the manga version of Made in Abyss, and some of the stuff in there it's just like, I'd rather kill myself than write my name on it. Like it's a good story, imaginative, and well written, and the art is really great as well, but, well, reading it there are certain things that make you suspect that the writer may just be one of the biggest perverts on the planet.
In what way?

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
In what way?
Having just finished volume 6/11 to date there have been 3 separate instances of Reg's belly button getting penetrated, 1 prolapsed butthole (cute pet's), 4 or 5 losses of bladder control, 1 instance of Riko taking a dump in frame, 2 instances of sexual assault with tentacles (1 was tickling, but I still count it). Oh, and of course the traditional BDSM naked hanging punishment. Oh, yeah, and let's not forget all the vomit, that happens way too much to not be a fetish. Pretty messed up stuff. It's kind of been getting out of control since the party arrived at what appears to be Fetish City. And that's on top of the fact that this is all happening to children that are fairly regularly drawn in various states of undress.

Edit: oh, and I forgot about the smell fetishism with Reg sniffing Nanachi and that bit of between chapter bonus material describing how every part of Nanachi smells and that it feels good when she steps on you.

Last edited:

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
You english-speaking people keep pronouncing Stephen wrong. Come on, it's Stephen, it's not Steven. It's your language, you should know that !

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
You english-speaking people keep pronouncing Stephen wrong. Come on, it's Stephen, it's not Steven. It's your language, you should know that !
?
Those names are both pronounced the same way. Like Shamus and Seamus.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I thought the first one was Steff-ann and the second one was Steve-enn
Stephen King. Stephen Hawking.
Don't ask me why how 'ph' makes a 'v' sound, I want to blame the French. A lot of the stupider spellings come from them.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Uh huh, and how much shielding did you need to stave off the convection from that hot take?

Last edited: