Producers Might &*@%ing Bleep The King's Speech

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Producers Might &*@%ing Bleep The King's Speech

The King's Speech may get bleeps, in lieu of cuts, in order to obtain a more family-friendly rating.

The King's Speech producer Harvey Weinstein wants a PG-13 rating [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107311-The-King-Might-Get-a-New-Speech-Producer-Considering-New-Edits] to broaden the Oscar-nominated film's potential audience. The film's stars and director are adamant against any new cuts, which would excise chunks of one expletive-filled scene. Star Geoffrey Rush told The Hollywood Reporter that the curses in question are used "almost like a tongue-twister. It's gobbledygook. But it's not aggressive, it's not offensive. It's not harmful. They should just 'bleep' it. If you cut it, then you're going cut one of the key thrills of the film." It sounds like director Tom Hooper might be taking that suggestion into consideration.

Talking to Entertainment Weekly, Hooper suggested that he may be looking at bleeping as a method of censorship, saying "I wouldn't support cutting the film in any way. I think we looked at whether it's possible to bleep out the f--s and stuff, but I'm not going to actually cut that part," further clarifying, "I'm not going to cut the film." He has not yet made a conclusive statement on the bleeps, and the Weinstein company has not commented on this latest development.

Helena Bonham Carter spoke to EW as well, arguing, "I don't think it needs to be cut down. I think every 13-year-old knows [the words], I think every 8-year-old [does]." The use of these words in the context presented in the film is certainly much less colorful than what I heard on the playground at age eight, that's for certain.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/01/31/tom-hooper-pg13-kings-speech/]

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
This is why Canada's rating system makes more sense. It only got a PG rating here.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Movies should not be changed so more people can see it. It goes against the original spirit of the film. Not old enough? Wait till you're older.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
It's rated PG in my province (Ontario, Canada). That means that children under 8 require parental supervision, but anyone older does not. That's the way it should be. Bleeps will drag the quality of this picture down.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
How exactly will this help? I highly doubt the trailer tips people off about the swearing, I highly doubt anyone in the film is that offended, and the American ratings system is so broken I don't think anyone cares about the ratings any more.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
No. If I go to a movie in a theater and it's censored, at best I'm going to demand my money back.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Can I use a President Nixon quote?

"If the President does it, it means that it's not illegal."

Just substitute President with King, and you'll do fine :)

Dooly95

Jun 13, 2009
Daemascus said:
I dont think kids will be begging their parents to bring them to see this...
Other way 'round.

Parents would drag their kids to this, then find they can't due to ratings. Although, thinking about that, that's weird too.

In any case, I don't necessary think this is a family film, and bleeps would almost certainly would interrupt the flow of things.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
So you turn a key point in the movie, probably emotional and all that jazz into a big noise instead of keeping the part in or removing it. I'd rather not see it than see it censored.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
The BBFC rated it as 12, because the profanity is used in a different context. Therapeutic swearing. Not aggressive or confrontational swearing.

Mark Kermode (BBC film critic) explains it:

<Youtube=ZIO4e19Ti_I>

American MPAA need to catch up.

eljawa

Nov 20, 2009
This is why i fucking hate the MPAA. Serriously, there is nothing offensive in this movie, PG-13 would be a stretch if the ratings bored had any common sense

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"The use of these words in the context presented in the film is certainly much less colorful than what I heard on the playground at age eight, that's for certain"

The FCC is really waaaaaay too conservative, especially compared to the situation if you live in an actual enlightened country... :S

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
This is absurd. Beyond the fact that the movie's rating hangs on a mild cuss word, how much money are they hoping to make on the 13-17 year old demographic? (no offense to 13-17 years old ^^)

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
The day I hear a bleep in the movie theater is that day I rip my chair out of the floor and hurl it at the screen.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
Oh noes the F word might harm our children think of our kids.

Seriously do 13 year olds even exist without the basic knowledge of cursing? Also Americas movie rating system is screwed up. Some pretty insane violence can get a PG-13 as long you dont show blood. But boobies/curse words = instant R rating.

andiblac

Jan 31, 2011
I can't believe this is rated R in some places. So he starts throwing every swear he can think of out of his mouth, because oh he's overcoming a speech problem. It's a movie about building one's self up and all because there's a rant of curse words everyone goes "ZOMG! Oh Noes! He's swearing, my children can't be subjected to this!" *snort* you're kids hear worse on the playgrounds, they hear worse on tv. In a more obscene context. Dear goodness, heaven forbid they watch a movie about overcoming a trial under pressure.
Hurrumph. Maybe ratings should think more about the context.
And no, I'm not bitter, not at all.