Producers Might &*@%ing Bleep The King's Speech

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
what kid 18 and under will want to go see this film without the coercion of parents?

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
The MPAA fails on so many levels.

According to the MPAA, two uses of the word "fuck" will get you an R rating. Air Force One was one that just barely crossed that line, when in all honesty, it was a PG-13 film.

The King's Speech uses cursing in a therapeutic, non-confrontational, non-aggressive.

My husband and I just finally saw this movie (absolutely excellent by the way) this weekend. Our 5-year old also has a speech problem, and sees a therapist weekly. We were talking about having him watch it because he'd be able to relate. Our primary decision for not having our youngest watch it had nothing to do with the language. It was 100% because since it is a "grown up" movie, he'd just get bored and disinterested.

Not to mention that the MPAA has a history of disliking the Weinsteins, so that probably played a large role as well.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
This problem has a very simple solution. Somebody can watch the film before they add the bleeps then watch it again in the cinema and swear whenever a bleep sounds. That way someone can be safe in the knowledge that they played a vital role in the film and everyone else can watch a film how it is supposed to be seen.

Just don't do it if there are any young children around. Anyone under the age of 4 wont know what it means. Anyone 4 or older probably knows.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Diligent said:
teh_gunslinger said:
Diligent said:
Marter said:
This is why Canada's rating system makes more sense. It only got a PG rating here.
We really shouldn't hold ourselves as the paragon of sensible ratings though. Just recently the CRTC has decreed that Money for Nothing by Dire Straits is too offensive to play on the radio after 25 years.
Mind you that's not the movie ratings or anything...

I'm really against censorship in any form. The words they're talking about exist in everyday language, and in a movie geared towards adults it makes no sense to try to bleep them out or remove them so you don't hurt somebodies ears. As usual if you don't like it don't see it, and trying to change a scene in a movie so that it has a better chance at winning the oscars is the epitome of what is wrong with the movie industry these days.
Any chance you can elaborate on why the blazes they would prevent that from being played in the radio?
Why yes, yes I can. First of all, it was the CBSC (Canadian Broadcasting Standards Council) not the CRTC, that was a mistype. Second, because one person in Newfoundland called the CBSC and complained that he/she was offended by the word "******" in the song, it gets a nationwide radio ban, or must be edited to be played, but lots of stations are just pulling the song. Here is a link to the full story (and it shows the offending lyrics).
http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2011/01/12/16867536.html

This hot on the heels of the whole Huckleberry Finn censorship issue, and now talk of this movie...since when was it every single persons RIGHT not to be offended by anything ever?
I'm personally more offended by all this censorship.
Good grief, that is so silly! I've listened to that song a million times and never even noticed that I should be offended.

I agree. You have a right to be offended, but that does NOT trump every other persons right to figure out for themselves if they are offended. If (and it happens very rarely) I get offended I just decide that I will not listen/watch/read this in the future. I would NEVER invalidate other peoples choice to make up their own minds. That is, as you wisely say, offensive.

I would be your friend if ever we met.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
That would be retarded. The swearing is absolutely pivotal to the plot.

I have to say America's rating system is retarded. Why does it go straight from PG13 to R18? From one extreme to the other..

In Australia it goes PG - M(15 recommended but not enforced) - MA15+ (15+ only) - R (adults only 18+)

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
Helena Bonham Carter spoke to EW as well, arguing, "I don't think it needs to be cut down. I think every 13-year-old knows [the words], I think every 8-year-old [does]." The use of these words in the context presented in the film is certainly much less colorful than what I heard on the playground at age eight, that's for certain.
Said the woman who played Marla Singer in Fight Club. This role must feel like a [bleep]ing Disney film to her.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
If kids can listen to Michelle Bachmman they should be allowed to watch this movie unmolested.

Heck even if they can't, stop molesting kids.

minespatch

Jan 13, 2011
If parents took their kids to a "NC-17" film, I'd be surprised and worried over a parent that takes their kid to a rated "R" film. Does the rating of Pg and Pg-13 matter anymore?

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
I just watched South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut, and this is exactly what that movie was making a point of! American censors would allow violence on screen but would ban a film for bad language? i know the comparison is a bit extreme but they do make a point. I wouldnt know though since i live in Australia where we censor games like Left 4 Dead 2 for being gory, GTA IV for having a completely optional hooker interaction, Mortal Kombat for outrageous Fatalities which will turn our entire nation into serial killers. Why politicians continue to treat us adults like 5 year olds?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
This is what they want to censor:

Literally 30 seconds of the damn movie. That's why it was rated R, and that's what people are aiming to censor.

F*$# that.

Druyn

May 6, 2010
Eri said:
Movies should not be changed so more people can see it. It goes against the original spirit of the film. Not old enough? Wait till you're older.
Its not like they aren't making enough money with it.

FoxVI

Nov 28, 2010
this is a little off topic, but when was the last time any movie was rated G? it seems like if there is one context of someone swearing or slight violence, it gets bumped to PG.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
To be honest you could host a screening of 'Blue' with the sound off and someone would find something offensive in it.

When I've heard 'fuck off mum' from a kid of about 5 on the bus, I don't think we really need to restrict hearing rude words to the over 18s, unless they've lived in a soundproofed cell since birth.

What's depressing is it's a good movie, with a real story, and the swearing is actually essential. It's not like they've just added a scene where Dane Cook kneels in front of the King and the King says 'Fucking arise, Sir Dicksplash, you unfunny fucker.'

Also, something I don't know, how do the ratings board treat someone telling another character ' I despise you, I wish you were dead, you're a worthless, hopeless waste of skin, you have no redeeming features, you're a soulless unlovable husk, empty of all that makes humanity good, and the world will be better off when you leave it. '

Personally, I'd find that far more damaging and hurtful than 'fuck off'.