Professor Abandons Grades for Experience Points

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Professor Abandons Grades for Experience Points

A professor at Indiana University has instituted a system of gaining experience points through classwork instead of receiving traditional grades.

Lee Sheldon is an accomplished screenwriter and game writer, having worked on TV shows like ST:TNG and Charlie's Angels as well as the Agatha Christie series of games from The Adventure Company. He now teaches game design courses for Indiana University's Department of Telecommunications. Instead of assigning his students a grade at the end of the course, he instead starts every student at 0 xp and they earn points through completing quests like solo projects and quizzes in addition to grouping up for guild projects and pick up groups. How many points they have at the end of the course determines their actual "grade."

Sheldon put the system in place so that his students were motivated by the game theory with which they were familiar. "The elements of the class are couched in terms they understand, terms that are associated with fun rather than education," Sheldon said. He went on:

There will always be a portion of the class who will not be motivated to learn no matter what an instructor may try. Those that are not as involved, one or two out of a class of forty, are pretty much drifting through life anyway thanks to factors the classroom can't really address.

There is a question as to whether the technique would work with courses that didn't cover game design but Sheldon argues that it is a cultural movement now. "We are teaching the gamer, social networking generation," he said. "I have no doubt the students will respond positively to any number of non-game-related classes taught in a similar manner."

Beyond just education, Sheldon believes that his class structure idea can have a bigger impact in the workforce:

As the gamer generation moves into the mainstream workforce, they are willing and eager to apply the culture and learning-techniques they bring with them from games.

It will be up to management, often of pre-gamer generations, to figure out how to educate themselves to the gamer culture, and how to speak to it most effectively.

I'm not sure if that's ever going to happen, but I do think that I would sure love a job that gave me experience points for cleaning the fryolator instead of just telling me to do it. And then when I finally level up, I could tell my manager to f*ck off and give that job to the noobs.

Yeah, I could get behind that.

Source: ITNews [http://www.itnews.com.au/News/169862,employers-look-to-gaming-to-motivate-staff.aspx]

Shifty Tortoise

Sep 10, 2008
Didn't this happen a while ago? Maybe i'm thinking of something else.

Anyway, i wish i was graded this way, would've made my school years a lot better :/

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I actually support that. Instead of a bad test holding you down on your grades, you could make up for it with actual growth.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
An interesting idea. I don't see what the huge difference between the experience points system and an actual letter grade are, but meh. Sounds amusing, to say the least. What do you get when you level up?

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
That's a pretty cool idea. At least until one of the kids finds some artifact like "Teacher's Copy of the Exam" that grants +infinity xp.

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
So wait. Let me see if I understand this correctly. Instead of letter grades, which are based upon how many points you have, he has switched to an xp system, which will determine their final grade based upon...how many points they have?

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
This just reminds me of that XKCD comic about making the link between xp and levelling up and working out in real life. Just with education, not exercise.

Prometherion

Jan 7, 2009
Now if only they had achievements my uni work would be so much better.

50g - Perseverance: Attended uni with a hangover.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
bz316 said:
So wait. Let me see if I understand this correctly. Instead of letter grades, which are based upon how many points you have, he has switched to an xp system, which will determine their final grade based upon...how many points they have?
But the points aren't based entirely on a final exam. It's mostly on the year's work. And if it appeals to his students and makes them work, then maybe that's what it takes.

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
The general idea behind this is perfect. It is better than the system where a pass or fail for a class is determined on one moment in time and space. Being ill at such a point is catastrophic.
A system where people get grades for smaller achievements to culminate is far better.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Bonelord said:
Didn't this happen a while ago? Maybe i'm thinking of something else.

Anyway, i wish i was graded this way, would've made my school years a lot better :/
It did. I remember talking about this at least a month ago. I can only find a couple stories about it from february though, but I'm sure I'll find the old story in my feeds.

oOxatikeOo

May 20, 2009
I think this would actually motivate me so much. To get through an essay I have to imagine its like a big boss fight, with each paragraph I write being an attack on it, the damage relevant to how good my points are. Then the conclusion of my essay is like a Limit Break.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Its novel, unique, and fun...I approve!

Its better than just what it is made out to be thouygh...it measure academic process more than just once but through the course...so if you are lvl 14 and your friend is lvl 8, you know your doing better.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
By the way, the story should have mentioned Jesse Schell's video about the future of gaming somewhere. He mentions this idea specifically.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Imperator Nick said:
HTML Fail
It's BBcode, not HTML.[hr]I wish this was in place whilst I was at school, might have bothered to do coursework.