Project Eternity Becomes Pillars of Eternity, Reveals First Gameplay Trailer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Project Eternity Becomes Pillars of Eternity, Reveals First Gameplay Trailer

Obsidian's Project Eternity has a new name and a very nice gameplay trailer.

"Project Eternity" was always a working name, something to fill the blanks with until someone thought of a better title. And that moment is now upon us, as Project Eternity has been renamed for realsies as Pillars of Eternity.

And how do we know this, you wonder? Because Obsidian has also opened up the Pillars of Eternity backers portal, where you can learn more about the game, keep up with the latest happenings, manage your Kickstarter pledge and, if you didn't have the sense to do so last year, back the game before it releases. It's got concept art, and screenshots, and wallpapers, and, oh, what's this? A gameplay trailer!

The intro is a bit overwrought, as these "made possible by you" moments tend to be, but it's oh so sexy, too. And yes, that's nostalgia speaking, a burning desire for a Baldur's Gate or Planescape-style party-based RPG experience that goes beyond the watery offerings of the Dragon Age franchise, and while it may lead me to disappointment - unfocused yearning for past glories has a way of doing that - for now, at least, I can dream.

Pillars of Eternity is scheduled to launch in the spring of 2014.

Source: Pillars of Eternity [https://eternity.obsidian.net/]

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Myyy Preciousss...

Reminds me of Baldur's Gate / Icewind Dale. Which is awesome!

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Why can some effects be seen through solid matter? Kind of weird to have it shown like that

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Curious if anyone knows if they are doing real time, turn based or a mix for combat, like Neverwinter was. Do the backers know?

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
synobal said:
Curious if anyone knows if they are doing real time, turn based or a mix for combat, like Neverwinter was. Do the backers know?
it would very much surprise me if its not baldurs gate style(real time with pause)

OT: ok, this is nice and i kinda like the name, now we just have remember to save the pillar of balance at the end or the whole world is fucked.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
teebeeohh said:
synobal said:
it would very much surprise me if its not baldurs gate style(real time with pause)

OT: ok, this is nice and i kinda like the name, now we just have remember to save the pillar of balance at the end or the whole world is fucked.
Nah Kain will save the world, eh sort of eventually just need to deal with raziel first.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Desert Punk said:
Well, I would love to check out the backer portal, but their website is fucked and either tells me I am doing the captcha wrong or a random error.

It then wants me to contact them to let them know, but I cant contact them unless I can log in... Gotta love that circular issues there.
You trying to log in through the Eternity site or through Obsidian's regular site? I know I had issues through the Eternity site, so I was able to get things done quicker when I logged onto the forums first then got onto the Eternity webpage to manage my pledge. Though I then learned that the Safari browser does not work with what Obsidian used, so I switched to my desktop and did it all through IE.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
synobal said:
Real-time-with-pause, like the Infinity Engine and Neverwinter games. Unlike those games, though, there will be no discreet "rounds" running in the background.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
It certainly looks like everything I hoped it would be. Really pretty and simple in it's style, I love it.

It's a shame the trailer is so short though, I'm looking forward to seeing a proper in-depth gameplay video once they've got the UI sorted out and have the engine running well enough for a whole demonstration. A lot of potential here I bet.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Twenty Ninjas said:
To be fair I don't expect it to be seriously story-driven
You have played Obsidian games before, right?

The story is pretty much the only thing that ever actually holds them up, because the technical and mechanical sides tend to start showing the paste holding them together about ten hours in, if it even takes that long.

OT: Been looking forward to this alongside Torment: Tides of Numenera and Divinity: Original Sin. Looks pretty sweet so far, hopefully it'll actually be technically sound and we'll finally have an answer as to whether Obsidian really just can't code in any engine or have repeatedly been screwed over by every publisher they've ever worked with.

Blarg Blargson

Dec 7, 2008
I've looked at this project before, and I still don't feel confident enough to back it. I've enjoyed the various Obsidian games I've played, but they HAVE been consistently glitchy and unfinished. So, for Obsidian to just offer a Baldur's Gate-like experience isn't really enough. I'd at least like to know what the plot premise is...

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Plot details are the exact last thing they want to release. Lore? Sure, tons of that. Plot... We know it's set in an area with conflict between hostile locals and across-the-sea colonizers. We know that the main character will be involved in "some supernatural event" to kick off the main plot. We know there will be pillars.

Also, of all the games Obsidian has released, Dungeon Siege 3 - the most uninteresting thing they've ever done - actually ran really well. But I can't blame anyone for not playing it because it was Dungeon Siege 3 and, well... Dungeon Siege 3.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Terrible Opinions said:
synobal said:
Real-time-with-pause, like the Infinity Engine and Neverwinter games. Unlike those games, though, there will be no discreet "rounds" running in the background.
Yep. At least one of the classics' successors is doing it right eh? It's a shame about the new Planescape, but that's the way the cookie crumbles I suppose. One out of two isn't bad.

You know, 2013 has been a pretty shit year for games, as far as I'm concerned. There's been almost nothing good. Dragon's Crown is the only thing I've bought that I haven't regretted. Metro sequel was garbage. What else even was there?

Going forward into 2014/2015, the only games I'm looking forward to are kickstarters. Project Eternity, Star Citizen and The Mandate most of all.

What are publishers/AAA even for guys?