Project Eternity Becomes Pillars of Eternity, Reveals First Gameplay Trailer

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Ah, but was Planescape Torment's conversion of a turn-based ruleset into a real-time game not the original casual baby dumbing down betrayal?

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Terrible Opinions said:
Ah, but was Planescape Torment's conversion of a turn-based ruleset into a real-time game not the original casual baby dumbing down betrayal?
No, it was the original inspired adaptation of something that would have been meticulous, yes, but arduous- as all turn based systems unavoidably are- as well as wasteful on a digital platform like the PC, with its potential to make the player's experience of the ruleset so adjustable/customizable and cinematic with zero drawbacks! *breathes*

Is there anything better than having great custom AI scripts, manually taking care of the fight until it's well in hand, then just `watching` the cool stuff happen as your party cleans up? No. There is nothing better.

I'll tell you what's worse though: you reach the tipping point in a turn based battle, where your advantage becomes decisive, and you `still` have to lift every finger between that point and the last HP of the last foe. Yuck.

Pillars of Eternity. Real time with pause. Doing it right and looking splendid in that trailer.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Final Fantasy Tactics, released in January 1998, had auto-attack AI. Breath of Fire 3 - obviously a markedly different type of game, but a game that used turn-based combat nonetheless - had a beautiful two button taps to activate auto-attacks for the whole party back in 1997. It was lovely. You hit L1 twice in rapid succession when you were sure you had the battle won. Or was it R1? One was auto-attack and one was run away. I don't remember.

And of course there are drawbacks to RTWP. There is no system without drawbacks, man. It's what you prefer. I like it too. I can recognize its flaws and the advantages (and the things that are no better or worse but simply different) with other systems as well. There is no One True System, just a whole pile of ways to make a game, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. And it's totally cool to prefer one over another, because god damn everyone does, but the whole, "Ugh, this game is (in third person/turn-based/2D/whatever), fuck it!" thing is such bizarre hyperbolic tribalistic bullshit.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
look at the website on races:

"scratch every role-playing itch you may have and allow for deep character customization."

*looks at races and sees Human, Human who can swim more, Human with elf ears, midget human, midget human with fur ears*

Scratch every role-playing itch I may have my ass!
capatcha: Splitting feathers
I AM SPLITTING FEATHERS!

nuttshell

Aug 11, 2013
Terrible Opinions said:
I just cant picture anyone saying that with a straight face.
Is the THAC0 system even explained in the manual that came with the game? I dont have mine anymore.

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
Twenty Ninjas said:
To be fair I don't expect it to be seriously story-driven
You have played Obsidian games before, right?

The story is pretty much the only thing that ever actually holds them up, because the technical and mechanical sides tend to start showing the paste holding them together about ten hours in, if it even takes that long.

OT: Been looking forward to this alongside Torment: Tides of Numenera and Divinity: Original Sin. Looks pretty sweet so far, hopefully it'll actually be technically sound and we'll finally have an answer as to whether Obsidian really just can't code in any engine or have repeatedly been screwed over by every publisher they've ever worked with.
Actually Dungeon Siege 3 was pretty much bug free. So the question has been answered - they've been screwed by everyone but Square

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Please don't fuck this up, please don't fuck this up, please don't fuck this up, please don't fuck this up, please don't fuck this up, please don't fuck this up, please don't fuck this up, please don't fuck this up, please don't fuck this up...

Seriously, Obsidian, just don't. This is your big chance. No publisher blowing down your neck, nobody to twist your arm. Just do it right. You've shown you can make a great game marred by technical issues (New Vegas), a great game rushed out before its time (KotOR2), a great game hindered by stupid design decisions (Alpha Protocol) and mediocre drivel that is bug-free and stable (Dungeon Siege 3). Now show us you can make a great, well designed and stable game. Please?

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
nuttshell said:
Terrible Opinions said:
I just cant picture anyone saying that with a straight face.
Is the THAC0 system even explained in the manual that came with the game? I dont have mine anymore.
It was a facetious statement, though as far as I'm concerned, no more absurd than the mindset it was meant to address.

I'm looking over the PST manual right now, and I don't see any mention of THAC0. Closest thing it gets to saying that is "Low AC is good, yo!"

EDIT:
CharrHearted said:
look at the website on races:

"scratch every role-playing itch you may have and allow for deep character customization."

*looks at races and sees Human, Human who can swim more, Human with elf ears, midget human, midget human with fur ears*

Scratch every role-playing itch I may have my ass!
capatcha: Splitting feathers
I AM SPLITTING FEATHERS!
You forgot human with splitting feathers [http://i.imgur.com/LL0hQKG.png].

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Sweet looking forward to this. It will also answer the question of if Obisidian cause bugs and glitches or if its the publishers who force them to rush, we shall see. But considering how much I've enjoyed Obsidian games I'd probably end up forgiving them.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Safe to say there's seriously high hopes for this game, but that sure was a perdy trailer. I get the feeling it's going to take me ages to play as I keep stopping in locations to go "Oooh!" at the grafix.

Pretty sure it's not thanks to me though! I'm but a lowly slacker backer - they didn't get my monies until after the Kickstarter drive was over. I'll be in the gutter, waiting patiently for what I hope is a wonderful game.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Oh my, that trailer gave me some serious Baldur's Gate vibes which is only but a good thing.

Another fantastic RPG to look forward to in 2014 alongside Witcher 3 and (Dragon Age Inquisition).

nuttshell

Aug 11, 2013
Terrible Opinions said:
It was a facetious statement, though as far as I'm concerned, no more absurd than the mindset it was meant to address.
I knew something was fishy in there :)

I'm looking over the PST manual right now, and I don't see any mention of THAC0. Closest thing it gets to saying that is "Low AC is good, yo!"
Yeah, it was quite the same with Baldur's Gate, I believe. I remember picking up the 2nd enhanced ed. D&D rulebooks after playing the first BG, reading them and getting many "AHA! So that's how that works"-moments.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009

But seriously this looks awesome, and i really like the verity in environments.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Candidus said:
No. There is nothing better.
I believe you're mixing up personal opinion with definite fact. I could name at least three types of gameplay that I find better than real-time-with-pause.

Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
Actually Dungeon Siege 3 was pretty much bug free. So the question has been answered - they've been screwed by everyone but Square
I wasn't really solely referring to their penchant for releasing buggy games, as it happens. And Dungeon Siege III has the distinction of being, comparatively, basically the 'smallest' game they've ever worked on, the least ambitious from a mechanical standpoint. So while it's a fair point, it still doesn't feel like a satisfying answer.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
i have been having problems with the website and getting my backer stuff situated. Obsidian, even their website is a buggy mess.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
I wasn't a backer and by the time I could it was already over 2 million. But I love Obsidian and Baldur's Gate style RPGs so you can bet your ass I'm buying this off GOG when it comes out.

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
Candidus said:
I believe you're mixing up personal opinion with definite fact. I could name at least three types of gameplay that I find better than real-time-with-pause.
People don't need to qualify everything that's not objective fact with an IMO. Everyone understands the difference between fact and opinion, and reminding people of it just comes across as needlessly smug.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
[REDACTED said:
]
shrekfan246 said:
Candidus said:
People don't need to qualify everything that's not objective fact with an IMO. Everyone understands the difference between fact and opinion, and reminding people of it just comes across as needlessly smug.
It's all in the context. When somebody begins claiming that any CRPG that isn't real-time-with-pause isn't "doing it right", they're the ones coming across as needlessly smug.