"Project RedLime" is Going to Be Huge

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
"Project RedLime" is Going to Be Huge

How big is "Project RedLime" going to be? Bigger than anything else Starbreeze has worked on.

For the amount of time that Electronic Arts has had Starbreeze working on "Project RedLime", not much is actually known about it. Rumor has it that the game will be the long-awaited sequel to Syndicate, but that has yet to be officially revealed. However, one thing is now certain: The game is pretty massive.

According to Starbreeze's CEO, Mikael Nermark, the game is "the biggest project the studio has ever worked on." That's a pretty bold claim, considering how big Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, its sequel <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Riddick-Assault-Athena-Xbox-360/dp/B001L18RIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1304971653&sr=8-1>Assault on Dark Athena, and <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Darkness-Xbox-360/dp/B000HX1P72/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1304971702&sr=1-1>The Darkness all were.

However, Nermark could confirm that Starbreeze is enthusiastic about its new game: "All games have their pros and cons, but of course you could be more creative working on a none contemporary setting. Whatever the project is, if it's an original IP or license, the most important thing is that you believe in the game and have fun developing it."

"RedLime" is the second project Starbreeze is working on with EA. Prior to this, the studio was developing a Jason Bourne game (which would have been based on the novels, rather than the movies); that title was subsequently canceled by the publisher.

Source: Joystiq

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Syndicate 2? Hell yes! I hope these are more than just rumours.

...what's Syndicate again?

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
HankMan said:
vansau said:
How big is "Project RedLime" going to be? Bigger than anything else Starbreeze has worked on.
It will be interesting to see what the fruit of their labors will be.
Okay, now i feel dumb for not getting your pun...
I mean, you've even bolded the most important part of it, for ease of understanding, but still i don't get it. I just don't see anything that's related to fruits. Lime? Starbreeze? God dammit, i know it's something simple..
OT: Haven't played any of those games before, but weren't some of them (one of the Riddick ones) bad?
Anyways, if it's a big project, then i hope it'll be a success anyways.

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
Never heard of them, or played those games, but hopefully the amount of work they put in churns out something sublime.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
project redlime?? wtf???.

ideas anyone?

or is everyone banking on a syndicate sequal.
It's supposed to be a reboot of a long-abandoned EA franchise. Personally, I'm hoping for Privateer 3.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
megs1120 said:
CardinalPiggles said:
project redlime?? wtf???.

ideas anyone?

or is everyone banking on a syndicate sequal.
It's supposed to be a reboot of a long-abandoned EA franchise. Personally, I'm hoping for Privateer 3.
Hmmm, well "Privateer" was a spin off of "Wing Commander" that was originally created by Richard Garriot/Origin Systems. Wing Commander was kind of driven into the ground, and I'm not sure if a reboot of that franchise would be a very good idea. The only way that could work is if they made peace with Richard Garriot and brought him back.

As far as another "Syndicate" game goes, I suppose that's possible, but to be honest I'm not entirely sure if there is enough there that it wouldn't be seen as just another mission based RTS franchise, even the gimmick of blending RTS and RPG elements probably wouldn't go very far since it's been done so many times at this point.

Me, I'd be kind of hoping that they might be say rebooting something like "Bard's Tale". Looking at the success of the first "Dragon Age" game, and how even if the game wasn't incredibly successful that the basic storyline worked okay for their action-RPG "Bard's Tale" reboot, that they are hoping that an RPG in the spirit of "Dragon Age" where you could create your own party as opposed to recruiting companions and such might work if done correctly.

The overall storyline to "Bard's Tale" where you start out freeing a cursed town from a wizard, becoming the "Destiny Knight" and defeating the mentor of said evil wizard in "Bard's Tale 2" and then finally fighting and defeating the Mad God you freed in an incidental-seeming mission in the original game in the climax and ascending to replace the gods he killed... well there is a lot there that's pretty awesome.

To put things into perspective, as primitive as it is especially by today's standards (we're talking games that could run on the C-64) "Bard's Tale 3" played around with a lot of concepts that were ahead of their time for a video game, and are currently being praised in things like "Radiant Historia". For example a big part of the BT3 storyline involves you meeting this "Chosen One" type hero who joins you as an NPC at certain points, he's supposed to be the big hope for defeating Tarjan and saving the universe, and your sent to assist him, but you meet him at differant time periods where he either remembers you or doesn't depending on where you are in your respective timelines, with things like you giving him information he uses when you meet him at low levels, when you met him in what was an early time period for him as high level characters. One of the neat aspects of the whole game was how they make a big deal over how Evil wins, and you literally run into the big bad by stepping over the corpse of the great hero (as sad as it is) before changing everything by just flat out beating him and his minions down while lining up a backstab (the big hint on how to win is that they call the game "Bard's Tale III: The Thief Of Fate" which is kind of clever, as opposed to putting some kind of in-game instructions).

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
HankMan said:
Owlslayer said:
HankMan said:
vansau said:
Okay, now i feel dumb for not getting your pun...
I mean, you've even bolded the most important part of it, for ease of understanding, but still i don't get it. I just don't see anything that's related to fruits. Lime? Starbreeze? God dammit, i know it's something simple..
OT: Haven't played any of those games before, but weren't some of them (one of the Riddick ones) bad?
Anyways, if it's a big project, then i hope it'll be a success anyways.
RedLime! Lime!
I could have probably made it clearer, but I shouldn't even BE here right now man. I got a final paper to write.
Hey, what a coincidence, i shouldn't be here either, should be studying for a final exam that's in a few days!
Also, now your pun makes sense and all is well. Good luck with the paper, tho.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"That's a pretty bold claim, considering how big Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, its sequel Assault on Dark Athena, and The Darkness all were."

Really? You call that big? Medium in my book... just saying!

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
AvsJoe said:
Syndicate 2? Hell yes! I hope these are more than just rumours.

...what's Syndicate again?
it would actually be syndicate 3, as syndicate wars is technically syndicate 2, or the fourth game if you count the first games expansion.

Jelly ^.^

Mar 11, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
HankMan said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
HankMan said:
vansau said:
Let's hope EA don't squeeze them too much, as they often do with other studios. That would leave a sour taste in many gamers' mouths for sure.
You must admit, they're sure dropping some juicy implications.
You never know. This game may be awesome enough to... er... make other developers green with envy. Yeah.

...OK, seriously, I think I've reached the end of my lime related puns.
I just hope Molyneux isn't sour about this sequel, 18 years after he made the original.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
I've been hoping for a Wing Commander reboot/Prophecy sequel/Privateer 3. However, a new Syndicate would also be welcome. Hell, if they included a copy of the original game (with or without American Revolt) that I could play on XP without DOSbox or similar program, I'd buy the game even if the main game was poo.

Therumancer said:
Hmmm, well "Privateer" was a spin off of "Wing Commander" that was originally created by Richard Garriot/Origin Systems. Wing Commander was kind of driven into the ground, and I'm not sure if a reboot of that franchise would be a very good idea. The only way that could work is if they made peace with Richard Garriot and brought him back.
As a Wingnut, this is false. Other than Wing Commander being under Origin's umbrella, Garriot had nothing to do with Wing Commander. Wing Commander was created by Chris Roberts. The series did have a few rough patches (Academy had the stink of a money grab. Armada was too far ahead of it's time given it's reliance on internet during a time that 56K was considered high-end.) but it wasn't run into the ground. It died for two reasons:

A: Too high-budget. Making Live-Action movies with Mark Hamill, Malcolm McDowell Christopher Walken, Clive Owen, and other well-paid stars as well as sets/costumes/etc along with game development costs was a venture that became prohibitively expensive.

B: EA decided to murder the series.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Jelly ^.^ said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
HankMan said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
HankMan said:
vansau said:
Let's hope EA don't squeeze them too much, as they often do with other studios. That would leave a sour taste in many gamers' mouths for sure.
You must admit, they're sure dropping some juicy implications.
You never know. This game may be awesome enough to... er... make other developers green with envy. Yeah.

...OK, seriously, I think I've reached the end of my lime related puns.
I just hope Molyneux isn't sour about this sequel, 18 years after he made the original.
Well, let's be honest here, Molyneux has lost a lot of his creative zest as of late.
Which is just as well, maybe Starbreeze can bring something fresh to the series.